Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 13:44 Quote
LOL so yeah we're going to go for 38lb for the next build.

Swan guessed 36.3lb Bang on!

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
I'm sorry, to confirm - this was a 28# projet or a 38# project?

Wasn't it '28, as in recreating the weight of a bike from 1928?

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
PHeller wrote:
I dunno Norco's UDH looks like SRAM's UDH to me. Maybe Norco used another company to produce them that wasn't SRAM, but they look pretty similar.

That's not how this works. Jesus. This is the problem with the bike industry as a whole. Nobody is going to produce UDH for cheaper than Sram and if the thread pitch is not the same then it is not the same. That is the whole f*ckng point. So your in Italy with your norco and blow up your hanger. You get a UDH from sram and then your axle does not fit? Stupid just stupid.

Looks like is not a thing in machined parts world....I would have thought this to be common knowledge...

Easy killer. I didn't know there was a different thread pitch to each because I've never had either in front of me with their respective axles.

Actually, the fact that they look similar is even more dumb because people like me would assume they are the same and waste time and money.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Actually, the fact that they look similar is even more dumb because people like me would assume they are the same and waste time and money.

Derailleur hangers have always looked similar.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
The Norco move is kinda stupid. They now use the UDH layout but different thread pitch. So uhhh not so damn universal now there is it Norco.

I am now design all my frames around the UDH fit. It's tight on width for split pivot but I am making it work.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:45 Quote
When you sending me a frame? I love you Wong time???

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Derailleur hangers have always looked similar.

Hahaha

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
shirk-007,

If split pivot caused packaging hassles, what made it appealing enough to pursue?

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
When you sending me a frame? I love you Wong time???

You want the one with the bb in backwards or one with the rear wheel out of plane like 10 degrees? Either of those relics from the rafters are up for grabs.

Current que:

My fs frame (needs to be done by end of month)
my better half's fs frame (she's been riding the same Devinci Hectic since 2009 she's due)
my 5yr old first pedal bike (this should have been done before the summer, stupid pandemic)
my 3yr old first pedal bike (due to a pandemic of run biking he's ready for pedals)
the frame I promised my brother like a year ago
the retro / future hardtail thing (my version of an Oddity with extra tubes and curves and integrated gravity dropper that runs on thumbshifters)

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 15:59 Quote
I'll go backwards BB and loctite the ever loving shit out of it!! YOU SEND NOW!!

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 16:05 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
bb in backwards

"Double Italian Thread".

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 16:07 Quote
Don't tell anyone!! Last thing we need is another got damn BB standard!!!!!!!!!

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
shirk-007,

If split pivot caused packaging hassles, what made it appealing enough to pursue?

The UDH hanger works, it would just work a touch better with about 3 mm more threads on the stub. It's possible that the proper SRAM UDH hangers are longer (I forget off the spec off the top of my head) than the Norco ones i grabbed from a local shop. When I picked up the Norco ones I didn't realize they weren't actual SRAM ones, i knew Norco was using them and asked my lbs for one.

Split Pivot rear end should be stiffer than an equivalent amount of material to a Horst layout. Enough to be noticeable on a garage built steel frame? We'll see.

My first three FS frames have all been single pivot (one classic, two linkage driven shock) and it's been nearly a decade since I rode a non single pivot, I wanted to ride a frame with lower anti-rise.

Packaging for Split Pivot is actually pretty clean when working in steel, flat plate notched into chainstays / seatstays and a bearing into one of those plates.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 16:15 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I'll go backwards BB and loctite the ever loving shit out of it!! YOU SEND NOW!!

Easy peasy. Oh I forgot to mention that one is still some assembly required. I never build a rear end for it as once i found out the bb was in backwards I stuck it into the rafters. You pay shipping email me da address luv.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
Thank you for the reply!

shirk-007 wrote:
Split Pivot rear end should be stiffer than an equivalent amount of material to a Horst layout. Enough to be noticeable on a garage built steel frame? We'll see.

The difference is a matter of a few grams, which is an odd prize to chase and an odd way to chase it for a garage-built steel frame. Surely there would be more efficient ways to save a few grams, though a perfectly good counterpoint would be "why not?".

shirk-007 wrote:
My first three FS frames have all been single pivot (one classic, two linkage driven shock) and it's been nearly a decade since I rode a non single pivot, I wanted to ride a frame with lower anti-rise.

Okay, but a traditional Horst or split pivot, which is just a Horst with zero offset, would be about equal on this.

shirk-007 wrote:
Packaging for Split Pivot is actually pretty clean when working in steel, flat plate notched into chainstays / seatstays and a bearing into one of those plates.

Ease of manufacturing makes sense.

I'm not arguing against the split pivot design, just exploring your design process. Thanks again for discussing it!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.037182
Mobile Version of Website