Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
PHeller wrote:
77Designz doesn't list their bar clamp width but it looks pretty wide. They also worked with We Are One, for what it's worth, on testing with carbon bars.

But yea, limited to 20mm of rise.

I like it. I'd be torn between the Newman SL and the 77Designs.

I may experiment with removing the paint/finish from my cheap stem in order to see if something similar could be done to the Newman.

RMR, do you foresee any issues with removing that shot-peened powdercoating stuff?

We Are One is offering 3 risers I believe.

Bought Da Package, but bike is still a ways from being rideable. Very curious to see how it all works together.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
If we're looking at items like this as possibly identical to the Gemini PRÖPUS, they look quite different to me. The contours are a bit different, but the most telling detail is the poor fit of the compression cap on the AliExpress item, compared to the much cleaner fit of the Gemini cap. Also, claimed weight of the AliExpress items are higher.

Similarly, there are some items that look like the Syncros Fraser and even have "Syncros" decals. It's not impossible these are genuine "third shift" items, but I doubt it.

I don't think any of them are likely legit. Also the weight on the propus is way off.

On a different note I though you guys might appreciate this. In pursuit of the weight game, also aesthetics, though not technically all mountain. I have some dremel work ahead.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 14:25 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
On a different note I though you guys might appreciate this. In pursuit of the weight game, also aesthetics, though not technically all mountain. I have some dremel work ahead.

36? Are you putting it on a dj maybe, perhapsyesno?

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
Yes, planning to polish it.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
PHeller wrote:
77Designz doesn't list their bar clamp width but it looks pretty wide. They also worked with We Are One, for what it's worth, on testing with carbon bars.

I may experiment with removing the paint/finish from my cheap stem in order to see if something similar could be done to the Newman.

RMR, do you foresee any issues with removing that shot-peened powdercoating stuff?

Bought Da Package, but bike is still a ways from being rideable. Very curious to see how it all works together.

Come on man!! I want to see it built already!! But I did work at the bike shop and saw the cluster that is bike parts again soo...

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:41 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
mr-wilson wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Come on man!! I want to see it built already!! But I did work at the bike shop and saw the cluster that is bike parts again soo...
It's sooo bad, half my bike is place holder parts while I wait on stock...

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 19:02 Quote
^^^ Yup. Shimano and Race Face are killing me.

I’m winning the weight game though.

Total lack of drivetrain really helps out.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
^^^ Yup. Shimano and Race Face are killing me.

I’m winning the weight game though.

Total lack of drivetrain really helps out.
What are you waiting on?

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
Race Face Next R cranks, XTR derailleur, shifter, chain. Want to be able to stand on the pedals to see what size dropper I need.

Have pretty much everything else.....just waiting.

What are you waiting on Ajax?

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
If we're looking at items like this as possibly identical to the Gemini PRÖPUS, they look quite different to me. The contours are a bit different, but the most telling detail is the poor fit of the compression cap on the AliExpress item, compared to the much cleaner fit of the Gemini cap. Also, claimed weight of the AliExpress items are higher.

Similarly, there are some items that look like the Syncros Fraser and even have "Syncros" decals. It's not impossible these are genuine "third shift" items, but I doubt it.

While the -8 degree "Syncros" combo look very similar the other two have visibly different shapes compared to the real ones. There's also other small details like how the grippy clamping section is way glossier on the copies.

/Someone who's spent way too much time working on Syncros bars

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
Here's a wider Chinese option.

I could see running one on an XC bike where I'm not regularly hucking, but on an aggressive bike that regularly see impacts, I'm not so sure.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
Race Face Next R cranks, XTR derailleur, shifter, chain. Want to be able to stand on the pedals to see what size dropper I need.

Full parts list needed to play the guess the bike weight game and win prizes.

Hurry up!

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:38 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:

Shifter, stem, bars, saddle and possibly a crank.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
Hey guys remember when I said I was using an old but unused reverb from my shop, and you all unanimously said "I wouldn't even use a free reverb"

Well, it decided to stop raising on what was likely the last ride of the season. So you all win. That thing couldn't even handle a two month, once a week season.

Time to spend money servicing it so that the sunk cost fallacy REALLY gets ahold of me!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021885
Mobile Version of Website