Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
No, more to do with the bushings on the SID. How hard are you planning to ride the bike?

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 9:26 Quote
riish wrote:
No, more to do with the bushings on the SID. How hard are you planning to ride the bike?

Well I have my Pole for rough rides so this will be mostly for basic trail rides and maybe some XC races. 120mm travel front and rear.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
Wale wrote:
I want to replace my f*cked up 120mm 34 Performance. So I guess my options are Sid 35 Ultimate or Select(+), Fox 34 SC or standard, Factory or Performance Elite. Fox would be with Fit4 as those are available for 600€ or so on RCZ. I've heard people talking here about durability issues of the new Sid. Were these issues only related to the Race Day damper?

Just swapped my fox 34 to a Pike Ultimate. What a difference! The weight penalty was well worth it! Performance wise and aesthetics wise...

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
I would also suggest a Pike, although I would say it depends how fast and heavy you are. Heros slightly lighter than a Pike and far more bling, pricier though.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 23:21 Quote
I weigh 85 kilos. Intend is waaay out of my budget. And like I said I'm using the bike for lighter trail and xc rides. We don't have any mountains here, highest altitude is about 50 meters.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
Wale wrote:
I weigh 85 kilos. Intend is waaay out of my budget. And like I said I'm using the bike for lighter trail and xc rides. We don't have any mountains here, highest altitude is about 50 meters.

The Sid Select+ is a great fork if you’re not planning on pushing it! I was pretty impressed by it while I was riding easy on my Spur

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 14:02 Quote
chunter wrote:
Wale wrote:

The Sid Select+ is a great fork if you’re not planning on pushing it! I was pretty impressed by it while I was riding easy on my Spur

I'd vote either SID 35 Ultimate as it's light (due to race day damper) or Pike.

SID Select + has a charger 2 damper which is 100+g heavier than a race day and puts it closer in weight to a Pike.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
dcamp2 wrote:
chunter wrote:
Wale wrote:

I'd vote either SID 35 Ultimate as it's light (due to race day damper) or Pike.

SID Select + has a charger 2 damper which is 100+g heavier than a race day and puts it closer in weight to a Pike.

Have you been seeing note worthy issues with the new sid after being ridden hard? I just got a sid select + and plan to push its limits. Might replace with a Pike if the SID ain't guna work.

Rumor is the bushings aren't burly enough?

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
I'm kinda surprised the Fox 34 chassis didn't get updated alongside the 36 and 38, as the Pike handily beats it in terms of stiffness.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
SID bushing issues are more manufacturing error then chassis design issue. I think in most cases of them having issue, SRAM warrantied those forks.

Now, if people are replacing the bushings regularly for the next couple of years, we'll know it was a design issue.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:06 Quote
A friend has a Transition Spur with the Sid on it and it's not standing up to the riding the Spur can handle.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
Are all Spurs coming with the SID 35?

Some the SID models are still 32mm.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
A 32 mm SID would be a poor choice for a Spur.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Are all Spurs coming with the SID 35?

Some the SID models are still 32mm.

All Spurs have the 35mm Sid

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
That's good. It's still a feathery fork though. To me, anything that is chassis limited to 120-130mm is too light for aggressive riding.

The MRP Ribbon SL (1790g) is just a cut down Ribbon (1900g) that could normally go to 160mm. The lowers and stanchions are the same, although shorter tubes. They also shortened the damper a bit.

I wonder if they same couldn't be done for the Pike? Race Day Charger in the Pike set at 120mm? Might shed a few grams. 100g at least (thats the difference between the Race Day and old SID Charger damper). 1858-100 puts us at 1758g, or 250g heavier than a SID 35, lol. Hey, it'd be stiffer, though!

I've advocated for Manitou doing this with the Mezzer. I wonder how much they could shave off the Mezzer if they shortened everything down to 140mm max.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.038894
Mobile Version of Website