Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Mod Plus
Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 12:16 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Damn, two inches of growth from sag... that's wild. I bet that things fun as hell in really rough shit.

WTH must not be on recently, can't believe he left this alone. phrasing BBLB.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Damn, two inches of growth from sag... that's wild. I bet that things fun as hell in really rough shit.

WTH must not be on recently, can't believe he left this alone. phrasing BBLB.
lol

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
Totally missed that one!! lol lol

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
Just got the email and thought I would share.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:34 Quote
Wow! Just picked up an 18 Meta and was going to put a Super Deluxe Coil on it. Should I take that as a warning that coil in general wouldn't be a good idea, due to the strut length?

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:36 Quote
Unless you went with something with a bigger shaft (Giggity) diameter, I would think so but not sure.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:36 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Wow! Just picked up an 18 Meta and was going to put a Super Deluxe Coil on it. Should I take that as a warning that coil in general wouldn't be a good idea, due to the strut length?

Rockshox has more bushing overlap, IIRC. They're compatible with some clevis style bikes. Best to check with their customer service team

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 15:40 Quote
Buddy of mine was running a cane creek coil on an older Kona Process (with a strut/yoke thing) and the shaft of the shock snapped clean in half one day.

Luckily it didn't happen on a big landing, he didn't even crash. Could have been nasty tho

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
Buddy of mine snapped the damper shaft on his push 11.6 on his pivot when trail riding.

Coils.....

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
Given how good air shocks like the Fox X2 are these days, coil shocks aren’t worth the extra faffing IMO. I’ve got a coil on my Glory and would trade it for an air shock in a heartbeat. I don’t know if I’m on the correct spring rate, but it’s close enough that I’m not willing to pay $100+ dollars and have to remove the shock/reassemble the linkage hardware afterward to experiment. Would much prefer being able to fine tune with nothing more than a shock pump!

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Given how good air shocks like the Fox X2 are these days, coil shocks aren’t worth the extra faffing IMO. I’ve got a coil on my Glory and would trade it for an air shock in a heartbeat. I don’t know if I’m on the correct spring rate, but it’s close enough that I’m not willing to pay $100+ dollars and have to remove the shock/reassemble the linkage hardware afterward to experiment. Would much prefer being able to fine tune with nothing more than a shock pump!

But all the cool guys say that coil is teh cOOlest.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
To me that is a list of bikes to never consider buying. This indicates that the bike is using the shock as a structural element and that there is excessive side loading present. So even if you are using an air shock or coil that can handle it like an EXT you are still going to have more side loading/ friction on the shock shaft than with frames that aren't snapping shocks in half.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 9:54 Quote
Right you are, mixmastamikal.

Coil is VERY good... in the right setting.

That said most people buying a coil shock don't actually need it at all, just how most people buying 150+ travel bikes would be fine on a 130mm bike..

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 10:01 Quote
Is this not caused by buckling due to the longer effective length with a yoke? Air shocks will be much less susceptible to this due to their larger shaft diameter. I don't think it's necessarily caused by the shock being a structural element so much as frame designers just kinda assume the shock is up to the task; they probably don't even think to check buckling.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
Is this not caused by buckling due to the longer effective length with a yoke? Air shocks will be much less susceptible to this due to their larger shaft diameter. I don't think it's necessarily caused by the shock being a structural element so much as frame designers just kinda assume the shock is up to the task; they probably don't even think to check buckling.

YES (mostly)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020644
Mobile Version of Website