Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
Circe wrote:
Nobble wrote:
I'd really like a new Enduro, so if we can just hurry up and get to the surplus of products on shelves phase that'd be great.

When do you predict the deluge of interest will wane?
I think interest will slow whenever things go back to "normal". People are being driven outside because it's one of the only things that you can do at the moment.

I suppose surplus product depends on if manufacturing catches up with current demand or not.

If it does, whenever demand slows I expect there will be some surplus of product.

If it doesn't catch up, then there probably wont be.

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 11:22 Quote
Circe wrote:
Nobble wrote:
I'd really like a new Enduro, so if we can just hurry up and get to the surplus of products on shelves phase that'd be great.

My money is on this time next year.

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 11:26 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Circe wrote:
Nobble wrote:

My money is on this time next year.

Surely you mean next time this year?

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
Losing the weight game, just picked up a Super Deluxe coil with the remote lockout. Rather than using the $100 twist lock, anyone know what modifications the SRAM 2-3 speed grip shift would work? Looks like Cecil Ravenel was using a grip shift, but can’t find what mods were or weren’t needed. Here’s what I’m hoping to use:
https://planetcyclery.com/sram-gx-left-2-speed-grip-shifter-with-locking-grip-black-red?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7YyCBhD_ARIsALkj54rkNPG_FJigSDZOhjdOQb99KHs2oKGpUiatCvJw9XYqy9vG5Qa-9hgaAogXEALw_wcB

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Losing the weight game, just picked up a Super Deluxe coil with the remote lockout. Rather than using the $100 twist lock, anyone know what modifications the SRAM 2-3 speed grip shift would work? Looks like Cecil Ravenel was using a grip shift, but can’t find what mods were or weren’t needed. Here’s what I’m hoping to use:
https://planetcyclery.com/sram-gx-left-2-speed-grip-shifter-with-locking-grip-black-red?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7YyCBhD_ARIsALkj54rkNPG_FJigSDZOhjdOQb99KHs2oKGpUiatCvJw9XYqy9vG5Qa-9hgaAogXEALw_wcB

Shouldn't need any modification.. It's designed to hold a derailleur in place that has way more tension on it than a lockout. I ran a twist shifter for my hammerschmidt with no issues back in the day.

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 15:49 Quote
Cool. I was curious if pull ratios might be different or incompatible. Any idea on that?

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 17:47 Quote
10mm cable pull. A 2x grip shifter front works perfect

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 18:15 Quote
dcamp2 wrote:
10mm cable pull. A 2x grip shifter front works perfect

Excellent! Thank you sir!

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 1:03 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

Shouldn't need any modification.. It's designed to hold a derailleur in place that has way more tension on it than a lockout. I ran a twist shifter for my hammerschmidt with no issues back in the day.

Ah, the hammerschmidt! Every now and then i wonder what if they didn't abandone the idea and invest more into it. With less drag i think it would be a great alternative against the huge cassettes we use nowdays. Lower unsprung mass, weight concentrated more in the center... I'd love that.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 2:00 Quote
My enjoyment of my Hammerschmidt was slightly tainted by the previous owner being a bit ham fisted and ruining the non driveside spline interface so the crank arm kept coming loose but yeah, that was a real fun bit of kit.

Would love to see a V2, especially if someone designed a frame around it - bigger tyre clearance on shorter stays would be possible with a chainring that small, surely?

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
My local dealer has new mx bikes on the showroom floor. Much lower volume business than mtb, but this was not the case last year.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
Circe wrote:
Except the Nvidia/GPU example is a poor one. It illustrates the exact opposite of the point you are trying to make.

As the world has shifted to working from home, demand for home electronics has spiked. People are playing more video games, need newer laptops, and suddenly their kids each need computers.

This has resulted in mass shortage for the electronics required to assemble everything from Xbox’s to Cars. Tesla recently shut down a production line for two weeks because they couldn’t get chips. Other car manufacturers are feeling the same pinch. There are three years old graphic cards selling for MSRP on eBay, etc...

The same thing is happening in the bike industry. You cannot squeeze ~300,000 high end units out of a supply chain designed to pump out ~100,000. There is unprecedented demand for certain goods (outdoor supplies, home electronics, furniture, etc...) and it will likely remain until manufacturers can scale up (just in time for spending to shift?).

To scale requires raw materials for machinery and factories and well, that’s another story. Let’s just say, there’s an aluminum shortage as well

if you think you’re good enough to overcome all of these hurdles and pump out enough bikes to meet global demand, you’re smarter than all the MBAs at Trek and Specialized combined.

Wait, are you actually writing this from your private island in the caymans? Because you must be a genius. Maybe you can send over some stock tips? Or maybe a forum meeting in 2022 and we can rip your private trails.

TL;DR: October bike delivery is actually good.

Semiconductor shortage:

https://theconversation.com/how-the-world-ran-out-of-semiconductors-156532

Aluminum shortages:

https://www.industryweek.com/the-economy/article/21940452/analysts-aluminum-market-will-see-shortage-by-end-of-year

Some light reading on shipping :

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/06/business/global-shipping.html
I actually earn a living advising fortune 500 companies on how to run their operations, so...yeah...

6 months + lead time to back order a product you already have in your line up is not forgivable even with the coof.

We can try and draw comparisons to high end silicone products all we want but reality is bikes are bikes.

The mines are still operating, the factories are still open and the container ships are still sailing.

Having continued my search for a new bike there are Specialized, Trek and other mid-high end MY21 bikes available to order now...so the issue is clearly not universal.

I will probably be buying a Yeti or something made in Europe to avoid the issue.

Mod
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
Coincidentally, many US mines shut down for an extended period of time.

I would contend that the issue is/was universal - but rather the mega-machines operate on different timelines/product cycles.

This whole time, I thought you made white noise machines.

This is an exciting time in this thread!

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 16:58 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
I actually earn a living advising fortune 500 companies on how to run their operations, so...yeah...

6 months + lead time to back order a product you already have in your line up is not forgivable even with the coof.

We can try and draw comparisons to high end silicone products all we want but reality is bikes are bikes.

The mines are still operating, the factories are still open and the container ships are still sailing.

Having continued my search for a new bike there are Specialized, Trek and other mid-high end MY21 bikes available to order now...so the issue is clearly not universal.

I will probably be buying a Yeti or something made in Europe to avoid the issue.

You can try to downplay the comparisons but the reality is widgets are widgets.

The mines are still operating, the factories are still open, and the container ships are still sailing. Yet there's a global aluminum shortage for soda cans. If Anheuser Busch, Coors, and Coca Cola are struggling to source AL, where do you think the bike industry ranks in priority?

Or, maybe those cans are all sitting one of those container ships floating just outside of port, waiting to be unloaded.

Propain is DTC. Yeti/Trek/Specialized are sold through dealers. Very different business models.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 22:33 Quote
Radon, Canyon and YT are also DTC brands like Propain but much much bigger and their delivery times are also ridiculous. Global issue, however you put it

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.049448
Mobile Version of Website