Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
I don't necessarily need the rage of 10-50 but I would never go back to a 2x for the simple fact that when coming up on a steep punchy climb getting to the low gear usually requires a shift in both the front and the rear since the jump between the two is too great to be smooth. Then when you crest the top of that punchy climb and point back down you need two more shifts. Its all very cumbersome and 1x hugely simplifies all that. Also, clean cockpits.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 10-46 Garbaruk cassette and it appears they have stopped making it. This might have me converting to microspline and running the unicorn AXS/Shimano setup to make use of the more useful 10-45 cassette.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
RMWB wrote:
running the unicorn AXS/Shimano setup to make use of the more useful 10-45 cassette.
My next bike will be Shimano/AXS... love everything about AXS but Shimano is just unbeatable for shift precision.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
That Classified geared hub is freaking sweet, and basically what I was getting at with a modern, lightweight, electronically shifted planetary crankset.

They mention that it doesn't weight anymore than a traditional 2x setup, but that also suggest they move all the weight of additional chainring and derailluer to the rear wheel.

Then again....why? With 10t cogs and lightweight cassettes, and our riding styles changing quite a bit (winch and plummet) do we really need more than 10 gears?

Cam over at NSMB did the research and builders did note that designing around 2x complicates things. Seems to me these ideas would be better served on a bikepacking rig or a fat bike. Cam messed around with a Hammerschmidt on his SS.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
Axxe wrote:
But then I don't like how 10t is noticeably less smooth to pedal than 11.

How often are you spending a ton of time on a 10t gear? Confused

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:18 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
RMWB wrote:
running the unicorn AXS/Shimano setup to make use of the more useful 10-45 cassette.
My next bike will be Shimano/AXS... love everything about AXS but Shimano is just unbeatable for shift precision.

The only problem with Shimano is that this current generation creaks like hell. Also, there's been some issues with the derailleur clutches.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Axxe wrote:
But then I don't like how 10t is noticeably less smooth to pedal than 11.

How often are you spending a ton of time on a 10t gear? Confused

I kinda like to spin out if I can on occasion. Why have the range if not using it. But, yeah, rarely. Usually on a paved road downhill. Obviously not the critical use case.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
RMWB wrote:

Same here, as soon as I can get my hands on a GX AXS kit I am pairing it to my XT cassette and chain.

@circe what is creaking exactly? I do not have any issues with mine.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
I haven't had any creaks out of the current gen SLX cranks on my two bikes.

Thanks to whoever pointed it out on this thread a few months back (nubbs?) though, I regreased the clutch on both derailleurs before installing, they were very dry from factory.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
Axxe wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
That’s why I still have 2x. Beer

To be fair, my 10-51 has bigger range than my 11-34 to 24-36. But then I don't like how 10t is noticeably less smooth to pedal than 11.
I also don't care about cadence and larger steps - which is why I often just use front derailleur to quickly step up or down before a climb. It is just smooth and automatic for me. Drop front, climb rear few cogs. No mental anguish at all.
It is just 2x looks and feels tidier to me.
My truck has both 8sp and a 2Lo. Why should not my bike.

Yeah, mine is 10-42 in back and 20/32 in front. Super wide, easy to use and a gear for anything and probably as light as 1x12. Maybe lighter.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 12:14 Quote
Circe wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
RMWB wrote:

The only problem with Shimano is that this current generation creaks like hell. Also, there's been some issues with the derailleur clutches.

I've seen xt and xtr cassettes creaking. Is that what you are referring too?

The clutches are silly. They get corroded after the first wet ride. Missing seals on cage/spring zone.

Lastly I feel that 12 speed xt and xtr derailleurs are weak as. I've seen pros and influencers breaking them on little rock hits. My xtr derailleur cracked like a potato chip on the parallelogram real early on... While sram gx/X01 eagle stuff takes a beating year after year...

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
If it is just the cranks then yeah I have definitely experienced that in the past and avoid Shimano cranks/bb's at all cost now. I got the Cane Creek eeWings and Hellbender Neo BB now and it is smooth as silk!!

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
What does everyone think about airtags. I'm going to be getting some and I'm thinking about putting them in my bike as an atitheft measure.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Circe wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I've seen xt and xtr cassettes creaking. Is that what you are referring too?

The clutches are silly. They get corroded after the first wet ride. Missing seals on cage/spring zone.

Lastly I feel that 12 speed xt and xtr derailleurs are weak as. I've seen pros and influencers breaking them on little rock hits. My xtr derailleur cracked like a potato chip on the parallelogram real early on... While sram gx/X01 eagle stuff takes a beating year after year...

Yes and yes. It bums me out. Shimano quality used to mean something.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:19 Quote
Interessting collab between Pole & Intend experimenting with fork offset/angle.
photo

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
What does everyone think about airtags. I'm going to be getting some and I'm thinking about putting them in my bike as an atitheft measure.
Gimmicky but not an awful idea... for as cheap as they are it couldn't hurt really.

But, unless I'm wrong, don't they rely on either your phone being present for direct communication or being near an iPhone for their find my phone network to ping? Seems like a pretty narrow window but still a better window than nothing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.044689
Mobile Version of Website