Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 13:39 Quote
LOL I LOVE IT!!! Some more oil slick bits purposely made for gaudiness! 165mm Cane Creek eeWings

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 14:06 Quote
fredro wrote:
LOL I LOVE IT!!! Some more oil slick bits purposely made for gaudiness! 165mm Cane Creek eeWings

Great match & the cranks are a must have, I like my eeWings too might get a 34t Absolute Black chainring as well.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
Love these cranks, now I have them on both bikes! Ditching the noodly Sram xx1 cranks.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
seraph wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
340 g hub set and 146 g extra spoke mass, versus 1.5 mm spokes. Confused

I'm not actually taking the extra weight of the spokes into account.

Why not? The laws of physics do.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 14:50 Quote
Maybe it's something to do with Newton's Third Law. Reduce the force of gravity on the hubs and increase the force of gravity on the spokes. Pretty sure that's how it works.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
Im pretty sure he was not aware of the fact, that laws of physics cannot be aplied on oilslick components due to their pipmness.
And since i've bought ergon grips with oilslick lockrings, my strava results are 2% better than they used to. So i guess it is a legitimate upgrade. I can only imagine what a full set of spokes can do to you with that finish!

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
Newton discovering the anti-gravity properties of oil slick:

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
OK, Next set of parts i cant make my mind up on:

Wheels.

Yes i could build them myself, but im rubbish.
Yes i could pay my LBS but they suck too and cost a fortune.
So im going to buy a wheelset.

Its a toss up between NOBL and Newman

Both will cost me about £1200 landed to the UK
Both seem to weigh about the same at 1600g(+/- 50g)
Both seem to have similar rim profile (20mm height, 30mm internal width, 37mm external width)

Key differences:
Newman 28h F+R, Nobl 32h F+R
Newman is CL hubs which i despise, even though ill probably run shimano brakes
Newman hubs are quiet according to the marketing - Not sure if this is a good thing or not(!?) Nobl will be DT240s 54t Ratchet
Newman is SP, Nobl is Jbend - and i can choose CX ray spokes to shave a few g's

Newman is in germany...so warranty would be easier but both offer crash replacement.

Im genuinely not sure what to do.

Thoughts on anything im not considering....

EDIT: also if you think this is dumb and there are better less expensive options out there then im all ears.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 15:40 Quote
The act above has been recreated by a british band as an album cover. It was a success.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 15:49 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
OK, Next set of parts i cant make my mind up on:

Wheels.

Yes i could build them myself, but im rubbish.
Yes i could pay my LBS but they suck too and cost a fortune.
So im going to buy a wheelset.

Its a toss up between NOBL and Newman

Both will cost me about £1200 landed to the UK
Both seem to weigh about the same at 1600g(+/- 50g)
Both seem to have similar rim profile (20mm height, 30mm internal width, 37mm external width)

Key differences:
Newman 28h F+R, Nobl 32h F+R
Newman is CL hubs which i despise, even though ill probably run shimano brakes
Newman hubs are quiet according to the marketing - Not sure if this is a good thing or not(!?) Nobl will be DT240s 54t Ratchet
Newman is SP, Nobl is Jbend - and i can choose CX ray spokes to shave a few g's

Newman is in germany...so warranty would be easier but both offer crash replacement.

Im genuinely not sure what to do.

Thoughts on anything im not considering....

EDIT: also if you think this is dumb and there are better less expensive options out there then im all ears.

The 1st wheel i've built took me like four days and quite some swearing to finish. The second tho was completed and trued within hours.
If you get the hang of it, wheelbuilding can be a really rewarding and satisfying work to do.

Mod Plus
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
fredro wrote:
Love these cranks, now I have them on both bikes! Ditching the noodly Sram xx1 cranks.

Damnit I wish I went to dentistry school with you. very jelly. I can't stop thinking about them and will have to put them on my build next year. build was planned for this year, but I was reminded that soon it'll be our 10th wedding anniversary.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 16:04 Quote
moferenc wrote:

The 1st wheel i've built took me like four days and quite some swearing to finish. The second tho was completed and trued within hours.
If you get the hang of it, wheelbuilding can be a really rewarding and satisfying work to do.

I have built some wheels for my DJ bike before and that was fine because it was just a burner bike and not a big deal if i smashed a rim and lost tension while riding. This is going to be an expensive wheel and i dont want it to die prematurely because of my lack of skill, so thats not really an option i want to persue.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 16:06 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
also if you think this is dumb and there are better less expensive options out there then im all ears.

Laser spokes to save equal weight at half the cost.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 18:09 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
fredro wrote:

Damnit I wish I went to dentistry school with you. very jelly. I can't stop thinking about them and will have to put them on my build next year. build was planned for this year, but I was reminded that soon it'll be our 10th wedding anniversary.

Lol dentistry school.

These things are ridiculously light and just flat out gorgeous. One of my favorite parts on the bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022371
Mobile Version of Website