Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 4:49 Quote
Lol, just had confirmation my brakes will be going into production at some point in July or August.

Ordered March 2020...

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 5:02 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

I am so bummed it's discontinued, but my PRS-15 is absolutely unbeatable for a "portable" stand.. It folds up, but it's heavy and super stable. Like I have cracked BBs out on it with no issues.

I bought a double PRS2.2 for the mobile shop setup that didn't take off and still never use it because I love my PRS-15.

I had no idea they discontinued it. I bought my PRS-15 back in 2002 when I was still wrenching in a shop. Literally the best bike related purchase I have ever made. I suspect it will last me a lifetime.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 5:04 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
Lol, just had confirmation my brakes will be going into production at some point in July or August.

Ordered March 2020...

ha alteast they are close! I ordered summer of 2019 with a 6 month wait. That's what my Direttissimas were too. Then they kept getting delayed.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 5:57 Quote
If you have a 12-15 month backlog, at what point do you not scale up production FFS.

That is madness, especially considering its just CNC, they could farm those jobs out in seconds with a quick email.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
If you have a 12-15 month backlog, at what point do you not scale up production FFS.

That is madness, especially considering its just CNC, they could farm those jobs out in seconds with a quick email.

If scaling up manufacturing will not cause a net gain in profit, you aren't having a problem getting orders, and part of your business model is that your parts are rare and therefore can command a high price why would you change anything?

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 6:43 Quote
RMWB wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:

If scaling up manufacturing will not cause a net gain in profit, you aren't having a problem getting orders, and part of your business model is that your parts are rare and therefore can command a high price why would you change anything?

That’s a big assumption, for starters. Very likely they could scale up production while keeping prices and exclusivity in a pretty sweet spot.

Also, you should do it to avoid situations like this- with annoyed customers who are over your product so much so that they literally forgot about it. The hype train always runs out of tracks eventually.

The lack of availability has actually killed my interest in these brakes; I was considering a set but if I smash a lever and have to wait a year? f*ck. That. We aren’t talking Rolex watches here, these are functional goods.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
They just moved to a new, bigger building (still in Freiburg, Germany), are hiring and training new people, etc. But it takes time.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 6:57 Quote
Their product is definitely amazing. I have no issues waiting a few months for it but a year and a half is ridiculous. I don't even have the bike I originally purchased them for anymore. I really don't see why they have such a wait. They don't have that many products to produce. With the price tag, they cant have a massive amount of orders to fulfill either.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
RMWB wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I am so bummed it's discontinued, but my PRS-15 is absolutely unbeatable for a "portable" stand.. It folds up, but it's heavy and super stable. Like I have cracked BBs out on it with no issues.

I bought a double PRS2.2 for the mobile shop setup that didn't take off and still never use it because I love my PRS-15.

I had no idea they discontinued it. I bought my PRS-15 back in 2002 when I was still wrenching in a shop. Literally the best bike related purchase I have ever made. I suspect it will last me a lifetime.

Yeah dude.. It's such a great stand.. I know mine will last the rest of my bike career, and they still have parts available for it. Just ordered some a few months back.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
Feedback Sports Rec Stand looks a lot like the old PRS-15 without height adjustment.

I scored a PCS-1, cut the top off, stuck it on a big tripod I had for an indoor bike rack. It needs bigger legs, though.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
RMWB wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:

they are a manufacturer, it is their business to make and sell goods. scarcity =/= rarity.
a 12+ month lead time is not a competitive advantage or value proposition for a mechanical component of a bicycle.

They could literally Ctrl C + Ctrl V that shit to another machine and double production whilst they sleep. As others have said they are doing that but letting it get that bad in the first place is quite an achievement.

I would have considered ordering their products and would be happy to wait a month or so but not a year.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:

I think part of it is they want to keep it all in house not farm out CNC and it is hard to find trained mechanics to assemble them. I believe they have one person who assembled each entire brake set not just assembly line style.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:16 Quote
It's probably a combination of issues that came together to create this. They even stopped taking orders while they tried to figure it out. Maybe they just thought the increase in demand was just a short term issue at first.

Once they have staff, space and machines setup and trained and they catch up they will probably be fine. Also even though it shouldn't be a thing but since they are hard to get it actually drives interest to some even more because they are so "exclusive"

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
Whilst i dont know their individual situation im still a bit skeptical as to why it would take so long to clear that backlog. There must be other reasons...I have close friends who own machine shops and make motorsport stuff for race cars and work in aerospace.

You can buy a 5 axis CNC for like 50k and if you dont have the capital you can rent one for a few grand a month.

You also dont need 'skilled' mechanics to assemple a brake, its pretty simple.

Anyway, they make sweet parts and i will be sure to keep an eye on that backlog as i'd quite like to try a set

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
Anyone in here want a set of Trickstuff Picola levers? I ordered them almost 2 years ago and forgot about them till now. I just got an email saying they are ready finally. They are just black on black and levers only. I was gonna pair them with some different calipers. Don't wanna spend $450 on brake levers I have no need for now. If someone wants to take over my order instead of having to wait 18 months or else imma cancel my order.

DM Sent

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.051145
Mobile Version of Website