Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Feedback Sports Rec Stand looks a lot like the old PRS-15 without height adjustment.

I scored a PCS-1, cut the top off, stuck it on a big tripod I had for an indoor bike rack. It needs bigger legs, though.

I also have a PCS-1 that I was given for free several years ago by a friend that was moving. Not a perfect design as far as the legs go but the head on it is super nice. It is actually in need of repaid because it will not stay locked in position so this thread made me go hunting for a replacement part and I was able to find it on Park tools website for only $2.26. So pretty happy they are still offering support for it. In case you were curious here is the page with replacement parts.

https://www.parktool.com/parts?cat=30&subcat=32&query=PCS-1

What I needed is #14 (Top Tube Sleeve)

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
Whilst i dont know their individual situation im still a bit skeptical as to why it would take so long to clear that backlog. There must be other reasons...I have close friends who own machine shops and make motorsport stuff for race cars and work in aerospace.

You can buy a 5 axis CNC for like 50k and if you dont have the capital you can rent one for a few grand a month.

You also dont need 'skilled' mechanics to assemple a brake, its pretty simple.

Anyway, they make sweet parts and i will be sure to keep an eye on that backlog as i'd quite like to try a set

Why would a brand take on the additional capital and operational expenses if they're totally contempt with staying the size that they are? Especially if the current boom that the industry is in is not guaranteed to continue past the foreseeable future. You'd run plenty of brands out of business with the mentality that you have a short term explosion in demand so you inform them to make sizeable capital investments to increase production.

I don't need a "skilled" pilot to fly the airplane, but I sure do prefer it. They're producing boutique & uber premium products, so you better believe they're going to need a more skilled mechanic to assemble their product than Shimano would to assemble a Deore brake or SRAM a Level brake.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:
Whilst i dont know their individual situation im still a bit skeptical as to why it would take so long to clear that backlog. There must be other reasons...I have close friends who own machine shops and make motorsport stuff for race cars and work in aerospace.

You can buy a 5 axis CNC for like 50k and if you dont have the capital you can rent one for a few grand a month.

Anyway, they make sweet parts and i will be sure to keep an eye on that backlog as i'd quite like to try a set

Why would a brand take on the additional capital and operational expenses if they're totally contempt with staying the size that they are? Especially if the current boom that the industry is in is not guaranteed to continue past the foreseeable future. You'd run plenty of brands out of business with the mentality that you have a short term explosion in demand so you inform them to make sizeable capital investments to increase production.

I don't need a "skilled" pilot to fly the airplane, but I sure do prefer it. They're producing boutique & uber premium products, so you better believe they're going to need a more skilled mechanic to assemble their product than Shimano would to assemble a Deore brake or SRAM a Level brake.

These also are not multi million dollar companies. If it was just a dude making brakes with a few employees I could see expanding being daunting. Deciding how much risk to take on, trying to find a suitable space to move to all while trying to keep up with current demand.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
"Just do better yeah." -MoreWhiteNoise 2021.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
Has anyone had time on one of these monuments to excess? On the surface I think it's got to be winning the workstand game but may just be being too clever for its own good.

https://uniortools.com/eng/product/1693EL-electric-repair-stand#946868

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 12:50 Quote
Circe wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Circe wrote:
Best home repair stand? I want a Feedback Pro but they've been out of stock ....forever.
PCS-10

Feedback stands suck and I wish I hadn't bought my Sport Mechanic. It's terrible, but just passable enough that I can't justify buying a PCS-10.

That’s what I have. I think it’s a pile. Head is ok. Stand itself is tippy and feels low quality.

I would do the metal base, like you see in shops but my garage is too small to have a stand permanently affixed.

Well, it’s not too small. I just have too many other toys.

The PCS-10.2 is way better. I have that one and the fixed all the stuff that was wrong about the 10. Better bracing, the main upright is no longer just a cylinder but a tapered shape.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 12:58 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
Has anyone had time on one of these monuments to excess? On the surface I think it's got to be winning the workstand game but may just be being too clever for its own good.

My local shop has one especially needed for ebikes

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
secondtimeuser wrote:

My local shop has one especially needed for ebikes

photo

You know what's really expensive? Having an employee miss weeks of work by throwing out their back and having to pay workman's comp. The stand is not a monument to excess, it's a high quality tool that will preserve the well being of my employees.

E-bikes are not light.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:12 Quote
I'm glad to hear it seems to be fulfilling its promises in the real world and not just in marketing videos Salute

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
How much are those things?

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
And is that clamp on a carbon frame tube?

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
How much are those things?
The Park one, with the base, is like $2150 retail... like $1900 for just the stand if you wanna mount it to the floor.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
EVT makes the best clamp. Also their pulley system for ebikes is pretty rad.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:

These also are not multi million dollar companies. If it was just a dude making brakes with a few employees I could see expanding being daunting. Deciding how much risk to take on, trying to find a suitable space to move to all while trying to keep up with current demand.

For sure. They've clearly considered expanding and decided against it.

Right now the business is at 100% capacity, likely running very efficiently and making everybody involved good money, with a nice long waiting list out ahead - that's a pretty friggin nice position to be in.

Production facilities always have a "master production schedule" that allocates out all their production capacity and tracks a number of machine, human and financial variables. That document details when your machines will run, which staff you'll have on, factoring in time for maintenance, staff holidays etc etc yada yada yada. You can forecast super accurately all your costs and your profitability way out ahead.

I'm willing to bet that they did the maths on moving facility, adding another machine, hiring some more humans, training the new humans etc and they worked out it would be less profitable and would risk messing up a really good gig.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039401
Mobile Version of Website