Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
PHeller wrote:
And is that clamp on a carbon frame tube?

Talking about the Devinci? That bike has weld seams all over it.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 16:13 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
PHeller wrote:

Talking about the Devinci? That bike has weld seams all over it.

I can't tell.

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 18:02 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
I'm glad to hear it seems to be fulfilling its promises in the real world and not just in marketing videos Salute

In the EU there are lifting limits for workers so any shop that deals in e-bikes needs one.

PHeller wrote:

If you know what you're doing it's fine.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 18:05 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
EVT makes the best clamp. Also their pulley system for ebikes is pretty rad.
The pulley system is awesome and i love evt dtands but it foesnt really compare to a motorized stand

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 21:27 Quote
Circe wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
secondtimeuser wrote:
Has anyone had time on one of these monuments to excess? On the surface I think it's got to be winning the workstand game but may just be being too clever for its own good.

https://uniortools.com/eng/product/1693EL-electric-repair-stand#946868

My local shop has one especially needed for ebikes

photo

You know what's really expensive? Having an employee miss weeks of work by throwing out their back and having to pay workman's comp. The stand is not a monument to excess, it's a high quality tool that will preserve the well being of my employees.

E-bikes are not light.

Honestly one of the reasons I peaced out from the shop.. There were a few quality of life/employment things that they were not willing to make.. I would have understood if it was a tiny 1 man shop that barely made it.. But the repair staff is 4 solid mechanics plus the manager and 2-3 groms. The shop does 1.5 mil a year.... That shop should have at least 1 Ebike stand and I did enough work on recumbents/pedicabs/tandems/ trikes that really a harbor freight motorcycle hoist should be in the warehouse too..

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 23:44 Quote
Has anyone tried 11 speed derailleur with 12 speed shifter and cassette?

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 0:48 Quote
If it's a SRAM derailleur and shifter with a 10-45 (or similar) 12-speed cassette I believe it'll work.

The 11-speed derailleur won't clear a 10-50 cassette though, and the whole thing might not work on a bike with a lot of chain growth.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 6:26 Quote
tom666 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:

Why would a brand take on the additional capital and operational expenses if they're totally contempt with staying the size that they are? Especially if the current boom that the industry is in is not guaranteed to continue past the foreseeable future. You'd run plenty of brands out of business with the mentality that you have a short term explosion in demand so you inform them to make sizeable capital investments to increase production.

I don't need a "skilled" pilot to fly the airplane, but I sure do prefer it. They're producing boutique & uber premium products, so you better believe they're going to need a more skilled mechanic to assemble their product than Shimano would to assemble a Deore brake or SRAM a Level brake.

These also are not multi million dollar companies. If it was just a dude making brakes with a few employees I could see expanding being daunting. Deciding how much risk to take on, trying to find a suitable space to move to all while trying to keep up with current demand.

For sure. They've clearly considered expanding and decided against it.

Right now the business is at 100% capacity, likely running very efficiently and making everybody involved good money, with a nice long waiting list out ahead - that's a pretty friggin nice position to be in.

Production facilities always have a "master production schedule" that allocates out all their production capacity and tracks a number of machine, human and financial variables. That document details when your machines will run, which staff you'll have on, factoring in time for maintenance, staff holidays etc etc yada yada yada. You can forecast super accurately all your costs and your profitability way out ahead.

I'm willing to bet that they did the maths on moving facility, adding another machine, hiring some more humans, training the new humans etc and they worked out it would be less profitable and would risk messing up a really good gig.

As i already stated, you dont need large Capex investments to clear a backlog of orders. Id love to hear why you think clearing a 15 month order book in half the time or less would be a bad thing, given its present year and there are many vehicles by which a small firm could scale up (and down again) with little or no risk.

Perhaps we have a different definition of skill, but they wont be hiring Mech Eng grads to assemble a brake, its probably a 15 euro an hour role, with a small investment in training.

Im saying these things because you can join the waiting list for their products without even making a payment and as stated by another user here, when your product becomes available (if you even remember you ordered it) you are under no obligation to pay. This might work with a volume product that requires low machine time or variability but for custom CNC parts with a $1500 average order, waiting 12 months before recognising revenue is just plain stupid. I doubt all orders are like that and some will be pre-paid in full but still. This cant make forecasting easy.

Small shops can buy machines very easily or outsource the work to another local firm, i have friends who do just that. One of them has a 5 axis sat in his shop doing nothing 90% of the time. The capacity is out there.

I appreciate what you guys are saying and dont have the insight of their individual situation, but however you spin it its not good to make customers wait that long. Thats without even touching on the rapid pace of development and product cycles in the rest of the industry. We could be on SRAM AXS wireless brakes by the time Tim the dentist gets a call to pay for his Direttissima's.

As someone else stated, they are already upscaling and have moved premise, so they probably do have ambitions to grow the company (imagine that...)

sherbet wrote:
"Just do better yeah." -MoreWhiteNoise 2021.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:30 Quote
Wale wrote:
Yes. 51t garbaruk cassette and a 12 spd 52t gx eagle derailleur is the current set up on two of bikes. Works a treat

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
freddiehg wrote:
Wale wrote:
Yes. 51t garbaruk cassette and a 12 spd 52t gx eagle derailleur is the current set up on two of bikes. Works a treat
That's different to the setup he's asking about though.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 10:23 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
freddiehg wrote:
Wale wrote:
That's different to the setup he's asking about though.
Reading is hard. If its any consolation at least the pull ratios should work witn sram, (no mixed 11/12 spd shimano experience).

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
I'd be worried about max sprocket capacity on the derailleur. So long as that's okay it might work, but from what I can quickly find they'll only go to 42t.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
I'd be worried about max sprocket capacity on the derailleur. So long as that's okay it might work, but from what I can quickly find they'll only go to 42t.
Mixed a 46t cassette and 11 speed gx derailleur, on my hardtail, shifting performance in the 46 was sub par. No doubt itd be worse on a fs

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 8:24 Quote
How much grip difference should i expect changing from magic marry addix soft to michelin dh 34 bikepark?

terrain is rocky and loose over hard dry in summer wet and loamy in winter

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 9:08 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
How much grip difference should i expect changing from magic marry addix soft to michelin dh 34 bikepark?

terrain is rocky and loose over hard dry in summer wet and loamy in winter

2.6% on Tuesdays, but it ramps up to 3% on Thursdays.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.039644
Mobile Version of Website