Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
It would be a bike for the ages.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
Better yet would be to crack an open source frame work for additive building.

3d print lugs then bond in steel/carbon/aluminium tubes.

Open source the engineering and software that would allow someone to just plug in the geo they want and it would spit out a simple lug file that can be sent off to any commercial 3d printer.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 15:16 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:

Open source the engineering and software that would allow someone to just plug in the geo they want and it would spit out a simple lug file that can be sent off to any commercial 3d printer.

So, who has Gee and Rachel’s number?

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
The semi-3D manufacturing of RobotBikeCo and Atherton Bikes is a dead-end. It's a transitional technology. Clever for its time in the way RobotBikeCo applied it to custom geometry. Unfortunately for Atherton Bikes, their application of it benefits only them, not the consumer, by reducing the capital costs associated with molds. I frequently ask people to pitch their idea by answering "What does [proposal] do that [existing option] doesn't?"; I'd be interested to hear Atherton Bikes' response.

Full-frame 3D and 2.5D additive manufacturing in carbon already exists, it's just a matter of waiting for the technology to improve and become affordable.

shirk-007 wrote:

That's exactly what RobotBikeCo did. My understanding is a consumer could plug in their own numbers, pay online, and the Robot staff could arrive at the Robot headquarters to either a block of printed lugs or a file needing only a mouse click to get started. If Atherton Bikes doesn't continue on this route, they're not making full use of their manufacturing system.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 15:39 Quote
This is why I say open source it, bring it to the masses direct and cut Atherton / RobotBike out.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
That's a lot of work for a small audience and no compensation.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 16:19 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
That's a lot of work for a small audience and no compensation.

It's Pheller that wants a project. I agree that it would be crappy for a couple people to do all the work for no real compensation.

Now if you could find 10-15 people with portions of the skills needed to pull it off and divide up the work it wouldn't be soo bad. Still no compensation.

Needed.

People with CAD skills
People with FEA skills
fab skills to build test rigs to prove out the above work.

Pheller you got some work to do.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 18:03 Quote
PHeller wants a lot of things. lol

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 22:14 Quote
IIRC, ICB was designed via a poll then sent to Taiwan for a proto, then made open source with a few CAD drawings to supply to the builder of choice for various sizes.

RMRs requirement for a linkage fork throws a wrench in things. Im just not sure we could ever make it sexy.

Linkage front fork with shock and a monostrut rear suspension lols

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 22:40 Quote
1960s Italian sports cars look good. F1 cars look fast.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 22:51 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Why havent we started a Pinkbike version of the ICB yet? RMR designs, tshokx and shirk welds it, swan and whatshisface from Tahoe get together to settle who really has the biggest peen. We got enough shop bros in this thread to line up some good deals on components.

I have the biggest e-peen on the forum..Iggz definitely is the better rider.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 22:53 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
PHeller wants a lot of things. lol

Salute

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
Needed.

People with CAD skills
People with FEA skills
fab skills to build test rigs to prove out the above work.

Pheller you got some work to do.

I have none of these skills but I am willing to help. Big Grin

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
RAM bike and fork

Here's my idea. We got the linkage fork for R-M-R. Geo looks to be on point since long stems are back in vogue. Someone's already gone through all the trouble of prototyping it. All we need is the plans.

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 12:04 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
RAM bike and fork

Here's my idea. We got the linkage fork for R-M-R. Geo looks to be on point since long stems are back in vogue. Someone's already gone through all the trouble of prototyping it. All we need is the plans.
Jesus... I didn't go a bike could be that hideous.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.076843
Mobile Version of Website