Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
To restore the structural integrity of the wheel. If you don't need the spoke on the ride, do you ever need the spoke? Of course you do.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
PHeller wrote:
What is the rationale behind replacing a single spoke while on a ride? Id think on a carbon hoop itd make little impact to trueness, and especially with Berd spokes Id think theyd be really resiliant without any lasting harm to ride it out.
Its not about replacing a spoke whilst on a ride. Its about being on a week long vacation in another country and your trip being ruined by not being able to source or repair a mechanical issue.
Its also about simplicity, reliability and cost.

If a traditional set up is only marginally heavier but significantly cheaper and easier to work with long term im going to go for that.
If i was trying to build the lightest possible bike i wouldnt be deliberating on the point.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
How often are you all breaking spokes? It seems to happen mostly when I get a stick in my wheel and don't stop in time...which is almost never. I don't fret about spokes.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 12:58 Quote
My observation is that broken nipples are common when the spokes are too short. Broken spokes are usually straight, 2.0 mm or, occasionally, 1.8 mm. Not sure I've ever seen a 1.5 mm spoke break other than when heavily damaged by a prior incident.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
Circe wrote:
How often are you all breaking spokes? It seems to happen mostly when I get a stick in my wheel and don't stop in time...which is almost never. I don't fret about spokes.
I had a bunch of spokes go on a road wheel in like 2013... didn't break another until 2020 when the back wheel on my mountain bike suddenly started blowing through a spoke every few rides. After replacing a half dozen, I had the whole wheel rebuilt and haven't had another issue so I'm guessing they were just fatigued and all about ready to go. Spokes aren't something I worry about regularly.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
Anyone have any experience with the pre-Evo Ohlins stuff? I'm looking at an RXF 36 on eBay but it's 150mm, I'm wondering if I can still reduce the travel to 130mm.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
Circe wrote:

Happened several times on the back wheel of my mtb last year, I think I had a few previously damaged spokes and they all let go over a few rides.
Some on the bmx as well, but I put that down to fatigue from a lot of side landings on wheels built quite a few years ago.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 22:20 Quote
Dropped chains.... do you think more chains drop off the top or the bottom of the chain ring? MRP has a Sxg guide option that’s just the lower guide. Even with narrow wide rings and clutch derailleurs I drop chains.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 23:37 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Dropped chains.... do you think more chains drop off the top or the bottom of the chain ring? MRP has a Sxg guide option that’s just the lower guide. Even with narrow wide rings and clutch derailleurs I drop chains.
Top for sure in my experience... though I suspect it's dropping off the top because of slack on the bottom giving it room to drop, in which case a lower only guide could be very effective. Pretty sure I know which guide you're talking about and I think it'd be petty solid at preventing slack at the derailleur from rolling back up over the chainring

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
The STFU guides are quite good at preventing dropped chains, as well as silencing.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
Also not all narrow-wide chainrings are created equal. I've found that the superior hold is from the Wolf Tooth rings.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
seraph wrote:
Also not all narrow-wide chainrings are created equal. I've found that the superior hold is from the Wolf Tooth rings.

My experience as well. Race Face has been ok when brand new, but rapidly fades once it wears. Wolftooth was surprisingly mediocre for me, even with a brand new drivetrain. So far Hope has been the best, I think the taller teeth really make a difference. Haven't been on a Sram or Shimano 1x ring yet.

If my bike was louder I'd be strongly considering STFU, but the Meta is quite quiet. Just need the dang chain to stay on.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
Absolute Black and Wolf Tooth are my go to rings.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
I find the shimano 11s steel chainrings pretty okay. Not light, but holds up better than the alu ones i've been running earlier.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 19:06 Quote
Never had a dropped chain on my AB oval chainring

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031883
Mobile Version of Website