Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 21:49 Quote
To be clear, my interest was more for a friend of mine who is far lighter than I (160lbs I think), and whom would appreciate a bike that isnt a 35lbs full coiled enduro tank.

I just wanted to see what we could come up with when looking at bike weight relative to cost.

In other news I ordered up some BL-M4100 trekking levers (non-servo) to pair with my Saint calipers. I wonder if the hoses will swap over or not? I needed a new front lever anyway after a wreck, so thought itd be fun to try somethint different.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 23:01 Quote
A 160 lb rider will certainly benefit more from a reduction in weight than a larger rider. Luckily for your friend, there are a lot of options between "a 35lbs full coiled enduro tank" and "the lightest 120mm+ full suspension bike for the money". If your friend isn't a tire killer, light tires will save as much as 2 lbs over an enduro bike - unsprung, perimeter rotating mass, at that. Even better, the rolling resistance should be considerably lower.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 23:03 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
A 160 lb rider will certainly benefit more from a reduction in weight than a larger rider. Luckily for your friend, there are a lot of options between "a 35lbs full coiled enduro tank" and "the lightest 120mm+ full suspension bike for the money". If your friend isn't a tire killer, light tires will save as much as 2 lbs over an enduro bike - unsprung, perimeter rotating mass, at that. Even better, the rolling resistance should be considerably lower.

hell, even if they're a tire killer an upgrade to berd spokes can bring a lot of livelyness to a bike, im always shocked when i switch from my winter wheels to my summer wheels and how much of a difference wheel weight makes

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 23:11 Quote
Totally agree, but I probably shouldn't recommend them in every post. Geek

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 23:14 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Totally agree, but I probably shouldn't recommend them in every post. Geek

its hard for me at the shop to not try and upsell with them for every wheel build. everyone sees the price and gets scared, even when buying stupid expensive zipp rims, i keep telling them so save dollars on the rims and replace with spokes but no one gets it.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 23:39 Quote
If you mean Zipp road rims, I'm not sure how I feel about Berd spokes for the road. Probably great for ride quality, but more aerodynamic drag.

If you mean Zipp 3Zero Moto rims, that would be quite the combination with the compliance of Berd spokes - and it would eliminate the problem of spokes poking through the rims and puncturing the rim tape. Expensive and not especially light, though. I'd sooner spec a much cheaper carbon rim with low section height and keep the Berd spokes, which is what I assume you're recommending.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 0:04 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:
something that's a reasonable weight and plenty capable

My new Top Fuel Evo project will be pushing the limits though...
This is pretty much my approach to bikes now. Something capable that isn't heavy rather than something that's just as light as I can get it.

What's the plan for the Top Fuel?

Top Fuel Evo plan is DB Inline Coil in the rear with a progressive coil to help make the most of the 115mm of rear wheel travel, and eventually a coil conversion in the Pike up front. Reserve 30s on Tune hubs with Comp Race spokes and brass nipples, Formula T1 Racing brakes with 180mm Catalyst rotors, X01 AXS, Reverb AXS, and 2.4 E13 TRS+ tanwall tires. The only thing I'm not 100% on so far is the cranks. Kind of debating between Next R and TRS carbon. XX1 DUB is a distant third choice largely due to its high price tag relative to its plainness.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 0:26 Quote
That should be a sweet build, can't wait to see it

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 6:36 Quote
build update:

I managed to get a mech and shifter

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
Picked up a set of the new Roval Control carbon wheels with a Eliminator Grid Trail front and Ground Control rear, dropped .86lbs down to 27.53lbs, not bad for a S5! The wheels on their own were 1455g, not too bad! Have held of fine so far. Still would like a Enve M6 cockpit and maybe lighter cranks eventually, but all together fairly happy with the bike as it sits. In theory I might be able to get under 27lbs with the different cockpit, cranks and titanium pedal spindles, but probably not worth the extra money for all that..

27.53lbs of fun

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
Impressive for a bike that huge

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
That is lovely! Would love a go on one of those new stumpys

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
DPS and 34 both help.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Circe wrote:
Tallboy frame is heavy AF.

"The 3.1kg frame/shock/hardware weight (medium CC) is also 400g heavier than the previous Tallboy "

For comparison, my Ripley M frame weighs 2.5 kg. That's .6 kgs or 1.3 lbs lighter.

Spark is all bushings, so it is light. They don't seem super sturdy. I've seen one crack in a a mechanic stand from installing a BB (with a torque wrench!)
Same article:

"More weight will always mean more effort on extended climbs but, for reference, Trek’s new Top Fuel 120mm ‘race/trail’ bike is the same 12.8kg overall weight in a comparable spec so added mass on short travel bikes certainly isn’t just a Santa Cruz situation."

I don't really think pushing trail bikes sub 30 just for the sake of bragging rights is really the way to go. I'd take a 32lb bike with durability that rides great over a 27lb trail bike that I worry about when the trail gets rowdy every time.

I agree, but for me those weights would be a touch lower. 28 pounds allows for a pretty lively but durable whip. Once you start dropping below 27 is when I think sacrifices start being made.

My Evil with a “heavy” 7 pound frame, Fox 36, 31mm rims w/ 2.5 tires, alloy cranks, and 4 piston brakes is 28.5 pounds.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Here's one for you geeks:

What's the lightest 120mm+ full suspension bike for the money, new?

Wish they listed the weight, but this thing can’t weigh much. 8 grand, but I feel that’s fairly reasonable compared to what some other brands have been putting out for pricing recently.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/trail-bikes/scalpel-se/scalpel-carbon-se-ltd-lefty

What decade will this be available? Cannondale delivery dates here are f*cked beyond f*cked.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019392
Mobile Version of Website