Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
Anyone want to place bets the entire Scott lineup going to Bold’s hidden shock design?

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 8:28 Quote
I'm not convinced. It's quite a constraining design choice and would be quite difficult to package large shocks in without it getting rather ugly. It's also not exactly ideal for keeping shock temperatures reasonable. I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be considering it's largely uncharted territory but I imagine it's not favorable.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
Bold cycles have been doing it for a few years now.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
I'm not convinced. It's quite a constraining design choice and would be quite difficult to package large shocks in without it getting rather ugly. It's also not exactly ideal for keeping shock temperatures reasonable. I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be considering it's largely uncharted territory but I imagine it's not favorable.

Good point. I would think that we could jam big shocks inside of a enduro bike frame. Then have cool ports on the headtube for air channels to cool the shock when descending.

But shocks don't get hot enough regularly to affect damping performance for most riders. The oil and twin tube shocks are so good these days.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Bold cycles have been doing it for a few years now.

but they are using very small shocks for big travel numbers, unplugged v1 uses 185x55 for 165 travel if i remember correct

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
nubbs wrote:
But shocks don't get hot enough regularly to affect damping performance for most riders. The oil and twin tube shocks are so good these days.
Sure but they're always out in the open. And do we really want holes in our frames to cool a shock and let in all sorts of debris? At that point just... you know... not hide the shock.

The main question is: why? Why hide the shock? I really only see downsides besides aesthetics and a marginal decrease in the chance of it being damaged in a crash or whatever. And I'm not convinced by the aesthetics personally.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
No mention of actual frame weight on the Spark...oddly missing from the company that is always producing lightest in class frames.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
Yeah they only give frame weight with shock and don't tell you which one. Epic Evo is definitely lighter though. I think that's what I would pick.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 9:21 Quote
PB journalism is pretty bad, lets be real. Bikeradar has the weights posted;

There are three full carbon fibre models:

HMX-SL: 1,807g
HMX: 1,990g
HMF: 2,150g

There is one mixed carbon fibre and alloy model:

HMF mainframe and 6011 alloy swing arm: 2,590g

And there is one full 6011 alloy frame:

Alloy SL 6011: 2,990g

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
Bikerumor gave different weights for the full alloy? But they don't tell you the shock!

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
sherbet wrote:

Is Scott going to offer a frame only? I don’t see anything listed on their site. Would be seriously interested if they gave that option. The geo looks spot on for my personal preferences.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
dingus wrote:
Looking for some riding glasses, what are the cool kids using these days?

Just toughen up your eyeballs

I've been staring at a photo of the new Pole for an hour a day, but it's only made a slight difference so far.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
dingus wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
dingus wrote:
Looking for some riding glasses, what are the cool kids using these days?

Just toughen up your eyeballs

I've been staring at a photo of the new Pole for an hour a day, but it's only made a slight difference so far.

lol lol lol

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
sherbet wrote:

"The top-tier HMX SL frame is claimed to be the world’s lightest 120 mm frame at just 1,870 g with the rear shock. " - Cycling Tips

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019975
Mobile Version of Website