Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
The be perfectly honest, I really don't care about doping... the line drawn between "supplements" and "performance enhancers" is pretty sketchy and it's not like dopers are falling over dead. Let em take what they're gonna take and throw down.

I do agree it is definitely a grey area but I also don't feel too bad for these guys as there is a list of known "supplements" that are allowed and not allowed and it's your job to know what goes into your body.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
The be perfectly honest, I really don't care about doping... the line drawn between "supplements" and "performance enhancers" is pretty sketchy and it's not like dopers are falling over dead. Let em take what they're gonna take and throw down.

At this point, you might as well. I mean dudes are allowed to compete against women, as if there is no advantage there. So why the f*ck not. If we allow that, you might as well make it a free for all and anything goes.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
RelapsedMandalorian wrote:
bikefuturist wrote:

Always amazes me how many elite athletes are asthmatic. Wheezy fast f*ckers.

I think you need to have asthma to be able to compete on world tour level in road cycling

Good point, well made.

It's like all the MMA fighters that need hormone therapy to recover....not sure if thats still a thing but it was big a few years ago.

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
Can we stop talking about doping and start talking about bike parts again?

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
seraph wrote:

What about doping bike parts?

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
seraph wrote:

You mean purple anodizing?

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 12:34 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
seraph wrote:

My man.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 12:36 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

How does one reconcile that against early teens that don't know enough to say no? Or how much is too much? Or coaches that will exploit them for their own glory and not care about their long term health?

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

How does one reconcile that against early teens that don't know enough to say no? Or how much is too much? Or coaches that will exploit them for their own glory and not care about their long term health?

We were talking about a theoretical scenario and you come in here talking about the actual culture within pro-racing. C'mon get onboard the smacked up racing train.

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
seraph wrote:

That explains why my hubs are so fast.

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
scotteh wrote:

badbadleroybrown wrote:
Pinkbike is a very small slice of the larger mountain biking demographic and, all too often, the bottom of the barrel in worthless opinions loudly voiced.
It's easy to get caught up in the Pinkbike echo chamber and forget that we are a drop in the bucket. I am continuously surprised by how little reality on the trails and in the shops reflects PB.

That last sentence is so true.

Pinkbikers are very techy buyers and quite clued up.

Most people on the trails or coming into the shop don't know shit really. They bought their bike because they like how it looks and it suited the amount of money they were looking spend. If somebody has actually read a review or been recommended something by a friend that's a pretty clued up buyer on the scale of things.

The number of people who can really pull apart and talk insightfully about a spec sheet, a geo chart and/or suspension curve is, as a percentage of all customers, gotta be way less than 10% I think. I think if you've been a forum dweller, magazine reader and YouTube watcher a long time (like me) you can become really disconnected from what most people know.

I think as Pinkbikers we're very detail/product oriented and we actually talk surprisingly little about the sport itself. We're more interested in the equipment than the sport.

It's kind of like a soccer forum and we're mostly talking about the boots, the socks and the goalposts rather than about playing soccer... I wouldn't change it for the world because I'm a huge bike geek - but this is my observation

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
Yeah it was a few years ago when I realized even some really avid mountain bikers did not know how to work on their own stuff. I always thought that was half the "fun" of owning a bike was wrenching on it especially when you get to install new parts. I am old school and always had second hand gear up until a few years ago.

Like I bought a new set of cranks/stem and needed the shop to install them or my wheel is out of true so I can't ride because the shop was really busy...

The number of people I see riding their bikes with the seat too low, suspension incorrectly setup or even bars rotated way to far back is amazing.

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
tom666 wrote:
scotteh wrote:

badbadleroybrown wrote:
Pinkbike is a very small slice of the larger mountain biking demographic and, all too often, the bottom of the barrel in worthless opinions loudly voiced.
It's easy to get caught up in the Pinkbike echo chamber and forget that we are a drop in the bucket. I am continuously surprised by how little reality on the trails and in the shops reflects PB.

Most people on the trails or coming into the shop don't know shit really. They bought their bike because they like how it looks and it suited the amount of money they were looking spend. If somebody has actually read a review or been recommended something by a friend that's a pretty clued up buyer on the scale of things.

The number of people who can really pull apart and talk insightfully about a spec sheet, a geo chart or a suspension curve is, as a percentage of all customers, gotta be way less than 5% I think. I think if you've been a forum dweller, magazine reader and YouTube watcher a long time (like me) you can become really disconnected from what most people know.

That's why I like my LBS, they always try to answer my dumbass questions. Them and TF for boinger queries. I've learnt a lot from both outfits and am very grateful for it. It's why I keep putting my business and £££ their way.

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Yeah it was a few years ago when I realized even some really avid mountain bikers did not know how to work on their own stuff. I always thought that was half the "fun" of owning a bike was wrenching on it especially when you get to install new parts. I am old school and always had second hand gear up until a few years ago.

Like I bought a new set of cranks/stem and needed the shop to install them or my wheel is out of true so I can't ride because the shop was really busy...

The number of people I see riding their bikes with the seat too low, suspension incorrectly setup or even bars rotated way to far back is amazing.

Through my local and mates I've learnt to do everything bar major suspension servicing.

Really grateful for it.

Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
tom666 wrote:
scotteh wrote:

The number of people who can really pull apart and talk insightfully about a spec sheet, a geo chart or a suspension curve is, as a percentage of all customers, gotta be way less than 5% I think. I think if you've been a forum dweller, magazine reader and YouTube watcher a long time (like me) you can become really disconnected from what most people know.

That's why I like my LBS, they always try to answer my dumbass questions. Them and TF for boinger queries. I've learnt a lot from both outfits and am very grateful for it. It's why I keep putting my business and £££ their way.

TF tuned are a fantastic resource, as is a good local bike shop.

In my teens I had some bad experiences of bike shops. Shops weren't providing me with much value and I felt I was better off buying online and using forums, magazines and youtube for knowledge. I've found some good shops as I've gotten older and I'm almost jealous of people who have access to these awesome shops. It's like a huge shortcut

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.042767
Mobile Version of Website