PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
sherbet wrote:
shirk-007 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
We deal with neither, kills me a bit.

How are you not dealing with WR1? Seems a no brainer to offer your customers a great Canadian made product.

People just don't really ask about them for some reason. We've had two employees build WAO wheelsets to the side of the shop, quality has been great, as has the company too. I think it's more a case we're trying not to have another brand that competes with Santa Cruz, as we do a looooot of their rims.

Great company though, would highly support them and my next rims will likely be WAO.

I built up a set of WAO rims for myself and at the same time had a Light Bicycle rim in that was almost identical, I think without an x ray there would be no way to tell the difference. made me consider the light bicycle rims next time just for price

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 12:09 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
I built up a set of WAO rims for myself and at the same time had a Light Bicycle rim in that was almost identical, I think without an x ray there would be no way to tell the difference. made me consider the light bicycle rims next time just for price
I had a set of road wheels built up by LB and have been super impressed with the rim quality, durability, and the build quality of the wheelset... and it cost barely more than it would've cost me to buy just the DT180 hubs, let alone the cxr spokes and some carbon hoops, to build myself. They were cheap enough that I was honestly just looking at it like, worst case scenario, I'd be overpaying for the hubs I wanted and build something else if the wheels sucked. I would, and absolutely will, buy from them again.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 21:16 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
tbeezle wrote:
I had a set of road wheels built up by LB and have been super impressed with the rim quality, durability, and the build quality of the wheelset... and it cost barely more than it would've cost me to buy just the DT180 hubs, let alone the cxr spokes and some carbon hoops, to build myself. They were cheap enough that I was honestly just looking at it like, worst case scenario, I'd be overpaying for the hubs I wanted and build something else if the wheels sucked. I would, and absolutely will, buy from them again.

I had a set of tubeless road 55mm deep rims from LB built up by one of the best wrenches in my town. He was impressed by the quality of the rims and I had zero complains riding them while I still had a road bike. Great stuff!

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 22:50 Quote
seraph wrote:
My Top Fuel frame says Made in Taiwan.

A little birdy once told me Trek sublets out frame manufacturing to Giant.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 22:57 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Alloy rear end. GG and Revel are both doing carbon stateside for decent pricing, and Ibis is in that fold as well with the new Exie. A lot of people also forget Trek is still made in NA.

IIRC, Revel is buying US made rims that are Revel branded. They are not doing US manufacturing.

sherbet wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Pretty much any frame is a cheap Chinese/Taiwanese frame before your favorite brands logo is slapped on it. Cool so a company like Boltcutter is paying 1k for a frame and selling it for 2800. You would hate to here how much bigger companies are paying for their 3500 carbon frames! It is a hell of a lot less than1k. More like a couple hundred bucks per frame.

Less overhead too in most cases, as many of these companies own their own factory and distributors. Their only out of pocket is freight.

The difference is that currently, the US brands doing contract manufacturing in Asia are doing their own ID, geo, kinematics, etc….I have seen and ridden a few full suspension bikes sourced factory direct and they don’t compare to the US/Euro based brands in terms of ride quality. That is subject to change! And maybe it has in certain categories.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 23:33 Quote
seraph wrote:
Losing the "keep my 115mm travel bike light" game, but winning the "make my 115mm travel bike as heavy as possible" game.
99 done Top Fuel Evo. Temporary seatpost in place. 2021 Trek Top Fuel CC DB IL Coil Pike Select 130mm w Smashpot Tune KillHill ClimbHill LTD hubs G2 Ultimate RSC hybrid brakes 180mm rotors Reserve 30 rims E.13 TRS Trail 2.4 tires X01 AXS E.13 TRS R cranks E.13 Vario 180mm dropper Phenom Mimic saddle DMR Vault Lacon w ti spindles XX1 chain Enve Alloy MTB stem Enve M9 bar.
Weight for now is about 29 lbs. AXS dropper on the way.

How’s this thing treating you? Guy I ride with just bought one of the lower spec completes and it looks like a well screwed together machine. A worthy Transition Spur alternative?

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 0:48 Quote
jtwickenden wrote:
seraph wrote:
Losing the "keep my 115mm travel bike light" game, but winning the "make my 115mm travel bike as heavy as possible" game.
99 done Top Fuel Evo. Temporary seatpost in place. 2021 Trek Top Fuel CC DB IL Coil Pike Select 130mm w Smashpot Tune KillHill ClimbHill LTD hubs G2 Ultimate RSC hybrid brakes 180mm rotors Reserve 30 rims E.13 TRS Trail 2.4 tires X01 AXS E.13 TRS R cranks E.13 Vario 180mm dropper Phenom Mimic saddle DMR Vault Lacon w ti spindles XX1 chain Enve Alloy MTB stem Enve M9 bar.
Weight for now is about 29 lbs. AXS dropper on the way.

How’s this thing treating you? Guy I ride with just bought one of the lower spec completes and it looks like a well screwed together machine. A worthy Transition Spur alternative?

I'll let you know after I get more time on it. Still trying to dial in the coil suspension. Added a Reverb AXS today, definitely losing the "keep your downcountry bike light" game.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 3:12 Quote
Anything under 30lbs is respectable these days I reckon for a HD trail bike.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
jtwickenden wrote:
Anything under 30lbs is respectable these days I reckon for a HD trail bike.

I like to think of it as an XC+ bike.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
seraph wrote:

Well Giant and Merida make a lot of the carbon bike frames out there so that makes sense.

I feel like when people are comparing prices they fail to realize that there is actually a lot of knowledge, skill, and testing that goes into a carbon layup. That's why the big companies like Trek, Spec, and Scott all have frames that are quite light. Smaller companies like revel, evil, etc. usually have significantly heavier frames.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
seraph wrote:

I've also heard this, that all Trek's overseas carbon manufacturing is done by Giant.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 11:31 Quote
Not sure. I mean Trek has their own factories overseas but they might outsource some of the frame bits.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Imagine being Taiwanese and being supercocky on the interwebs about how all the best bikes are made in your country

Well when that area has the best collection of knowledge of how they actually get built...

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
seraph wrote:

That's a bike shop secret. The general public isn't suppose to know about that

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
talkingspoon wrote:
seraph wrote:

That's a bike shop secret. The general public isn't suppose to know about that

They probably shouldn't have printed it on a sticker and put it on the frame then.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.056443
Mobile Version of Website