Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
According to a buddy you can run Sram 12sp shifter with Shimano 12sp Derailleur or you can run Sram shifter and derailleur and Shimano cassette and chain. Best of both worlds

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
11 speed Shimano was terrible.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
seraph wrote:
tbeezle wrote:
seraph wrote:

I don't drink IPAs or anything bitter or sour so that eliminates a lot of our local breweries.

have you tried great notion?

No, I'll seek them out though if you recommend. I usually sway towards porters, stouts, lagers, hefeweizen, brown and red ale, and the occasional barley wine if it's smooth enough. I put drinkability over all else, since I usually enjoy beer either after work or after a ride.

Seraph, I'm let down you didn't think to ask me. Go to BeerMongers and sit at the bar. There's great food around, but it looks like the Thai place closed. Sad.

Great Notion is hypey AF and does great stuff, but it'll get you a headstart to diabetes. with unfermented sugars and adjuncts. and if it's a release expect to wait, for beer bros to buy shit to ship to Florida in exchange for other pathways to diabetes. Fun though.

Wayfinder has amazing pilsners, also go visit my highschool bud Ben Engler at Occidental for German styles. Barleywine is life. Get whatever Ale Apothecary stuff you can find, it's almost all good and super unique - they're out of Bend.

Claps review is fake, I follow him on Strava he hasn't ridden 1500km in the last 4 years total.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
Granted most of the bikes with shimano that I've hopped on have been buddies who aren't the most sound mechanics, but every single one felt like I had to exert significantly more effort to shift. It honestly felt like that would get exhausting after a long day of riding. While I've had sram stuff that I've ignored for a thousand miles and it still shifts with almost no effort.

I'm on AXS now, and its pretty f*cking rad.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 10:01 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
seraph wrote:
tbeezle wrote:

have you tried great notion?

No, I'll seek them out though if you recommend. I usually sway towards porters, stouts, lagers, hefeweizen, brown and red ale, and the occasional barley wine if it's smooth enough. I put drinkability over all else, since I usually enjoy beer either after work or after a ride.

Seraph, I'm let down you didn't think to ask me. Go to BeerMongers and sit at the bar. There's great food around, but it looks like the Thai place closed. Sad.

Great Notion is hypey AF and does great stuff, but it'll get you a headstart to diabetes. with unfermented sugars and adjuncts. and if it's a release expect to wait, for beer bros to buy shit to ship to Florida in exchange for other pathways to diabetes. Fun though.

Wayfinder has amazing pilsners, also go visit my highschool bud Ben Engler at Occidental for German styles. Barleywine is life. Get whatever Ale Apothecary stuff you can find, it's almost all good and super unique - they're out of Bend.

Claps review is fake, I follow him on Strava he hasn't ridden 1500km in the last 4 years total.

Apex is around the corner from beermongers as well, great beer selection and very bike friendly, Johns marketplace would be a good place to go beer scouting, maybe not for local beers but they have stuff from all over. There is one in SE off of powell and one in multnomah village. If you ever do go to beermongers let me know, its about a block from my shop

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
tangaroo wrote:
Granted most of the bikes with shimano that I've hopped on have been buddies who aren't the most sounds mechanics, but every single one felt like I had to exert significantly more effort to shift. It honestly felt like that would get exhausting after a long day of riding. While I've had sram stuff that I've ignored for a thousand miles and it still shifts with almost no effort.

Ugh

1200+ miles on 9100 xtr riding bike park and everything else.

-Xtr 9100 cage snapped like potato chip on a fire road going 10mph. ( you can buy a new cage for it but why? The derailleur is fubar after one good impact)
-Xtr 9100 shifter broke internally causing the classic push shift lever it does nothing.
-Xtr 9100 brakes wandering bite point on both front and rear brakes no matter the bleed procedure
-Slx 7100 derailleur wearing out parallelogram pivots in a few months of riding causing shit shifting
-All derailleur clutches getting corroded from the p-axle not having a seal on the back side and no grease on clutches from factory
-Needing to adjust clutch tension with a torque wrench out of the box so the 12spd actually shifts good
-Dealing with a silly chain compatibility for the special shifting tech
-Snapping axles on 12spd new shimano hubs
-Internals on 12spd shimano hubs destroying themselves

-AXS rear derailleur clutch wearing out to make the chain slap soooo loud on a $700 RD w/ non serviceable clutch.

Thanks Shimano.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 11:13 Quote
nubbs wrote:
tangaroo wrote:
Granted most of the bikes with shimano that I've hopped on have been buddies who aren't the most sounds mechanics, but every single one felt like I had to exert significantly more effort to shift. It honestly felt like that would get exhausting after a long day of riding. While I've had sram stuff that I've ignored for a thousand miles and it still shifts with almost no effort.

Ugh

1200+ miles on 9100 xtr riding bike park and everything else.

-Xtr 9100 cage snapped like potato chip on a fire road going 10mph. ( you can buy a new cage for it but why? The derailleur is fubar after one good impact)
-Xtr 9100 shifter broke internally causing the classic push shift lever it does nothing.
-Xtr 9100 brakes wandering bite point on both front and rear brakes no matter the bleed procedure
-Slx 7100 derailleur wearing out parallelogram pivots in a few months of riding causing shit shifting
-All derailleur clutches getting corroded from the p-axle not having a seal on the back side and no grease on clutches from factory
-Needing to adjust clutch tension with a torque wrench out of the box so the 12spd actually shifts good
-Dealing with a silly chain compatibility for the special shifting tech
-Snapping axles on 12spd new shimano hubs
-Internals on 12spd shimano hubs destroying themselves

-AXS rear derailleur clutch wearing out to make the chain slap soooo loud on a $700 RD w/ non serviceable clutch.

Thanks Shimano.

Hack

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
crs-one wrote:
sherbet wrote:
crs-one wrote:
At least you guys aren't trying. I bought a lighter frame (not because it's lighter mind you) and went way lighter on the rear tire, and got a bunch of liteboi small parts (including spokes), and my shit is still 29.4 pounds. f*ck. I'm playing this game and getting my ass kicked.

What's yer spec right now? Doesn't really seem bad.

Edit; just sub 31 with tire inserts.

Salsa Rustler carbon XL w/ Float X (had to dremel my frame to install it, but that's life)
Pike Ultimate 27.5
Wr1 union/laser 2x/Hydra wheels
Dissector EXO f/Forekaster EXO r, no inserts
XT Trail brakes with titanium bolts and 180mm xt cl rotors
XT chain and cassette with XTR shifter and RD
XT cranks, Rotor ceramic BB, Garbaruk 34t ring
Deity Skywire bar (800x10), 77designz stem, deity Lockjaw grips
Deity speedtrap seat
170mm Reverb b1 (it sucks) with a bikeyoke squeezy seat clamp

Blackburn Cinch side access cage, BBB bottle cage shifty thing, and a oneup pump bracket.

I love the bike and I thrash it to the best of my abilities and it doesn't feel heavy....But you build a bike with titanium bolts and an XC tire and an aftermarket seatclamp and you kinda start to assume it'll be really light.

I hear you, but honestly, that's darned respectable given what the bike can get upto. It's a more capable bike than most DH bikes of yesteryear.

A light bike is never about the weight you save, it's about the weight you don't put on. Modern trail frames are basically crossed off the list from being able to be built light. Those wheels aren't silly light by any means, but are definitely capable. Tires, while not portly or anything, really aren't that light. Aside from a few noteworthy lightish parts, most of your stuff is pretty middleground weight.

To get a light bike, everything has to be light. No half measures. I've ridden a bunch of these modern 21lb XC rocket bikes, and while they're fun as hell, there's always a very niggling doubt in the back of your mind of how much this next jump might cost you.

Ps got damn love your bike.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
sherbet wrote:
A light bike is never about the weight you save, it's about the weight you don't put on.
This is good shit, great way to sum it up

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 12:01 Quote
What happened to RMR? Have not seen him on here for some time now. Always liked his response to folks questions.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 12:15 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Agree! Haha

Thanks guys!!

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 12:36 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
What happened to RMR? Have not seen him on here for some time now. Always liked his response to folks questions.

My guess is that he got fed up with giving away free advice.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
RMR's posts are behind a paywall Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021597
Mobile Version of Website