Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
I ride all the travel and regularly find the bottom of it.....what I win...

But seriously you should be bottoming your suspension or you have too much bike or you haven't set up your bike right but its hard to tell who is serious with all the peen swinging going on

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
With a nice shock, the spring rate ramps up at the bottom of its travel so you don't get that harsh bottom out. That's what companies mean when they say "bottomless". No one wants to have that harsh bottom out while riding. I'd much rather have a progressive ramp-up to smooth things out.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
You should be bottoming your set suspension when it's tailor made for the course you're on that day, typically in reference to racing. With the wide array of trails our bikes see, most of us are going to say setting your bike up every day for a specific trail is a little over the top.

You can set coil shocks up to not bottom easily. Bottom out control exists on many, many, many shocks.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 10:42 Quote
I'm not saying you don't want to experience bottom-out, I'm saying you want to have a shock that will ramp up the spring rate at the end of its travel. I wanted more control over that and better mid-travel support, as well as less initial stiction, so I went with a coil. And I put a Smashpot in the front because I wanted to make my suspension balanced.

Once SRAM releases AXS suspension I will probably switch back to air.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I ride all the travel and regularly find the bottom of it.....what I win...

But seriously you should be bottoming your suspension or you have too much bike or you haven't set up your bike right but its hard to tell who is serious with all the peen swinging going on

This is my setup. I paid for all that travel. I would like to use it all once a ride.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
I have my fork setup so stiff I very rarely find the bottom of its travel. However I like the front to stay high in its travel and like that bit of extra for when I make a mistake or go too big off of something.

My rear end, however, I find the bottom of its travel more frequently as I like the rear to run a little softer.

Different strokes.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
My hands hurt just thinking about it.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
well, understood wrong

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
Bottomless suspension doesn't mean it never bottoms out, it means it never feels like you just smashed into the bottom and ran out of travel abruptly. It means your suspension is setup correctly and is effectively controlling its motion and not just blowing through travel on big hits and smashing into the bump stops. Unless you're hitting something unusually large for your riding, you should almost never feel your suspension bottom out, regardless of whether or not it's actually using all the travel.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
The only time something is truly bottomless is breadsticks at olive garden.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Bottomless suspension doesn't mean it never bottoms out, it means it never feels like you just smashed into the bottom and ran out of travel abruptly. It means your suspension is setup correctly and is effectively controlling its motion and not just blowing through travel on big hits and smashing into the bump stops. Unless you're hitting something unusually large for your riding, you should almost never feel your suspension bottom out, regardless of whether or not it's actually using all the travel.

Yes, you put it more eloquently than I could apparently lol

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
Shimano QC issue:
My brand new XTR 4 pot front brake weeps from the banjo on the caliper. ive never slackened the banjo bolt and i cant tighten it any more than its set from the factory.

Anyone else experienced this? its fine for the first couple of hours riding after a bleed then looses pressure and weeps (all over the floor, my rotor and down into the pads *yay*).

warranty is a 12 week process so im probably just going to buy another Frown

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
Shimano QC issue:
My brand new XTR 4 pot front brake weeps from the banjo on the caliper. ive never slackened the banjo bolt and i cant tighten it any more than its set from the factory.

Anyone else experienced this? its fine for the first couple of hours riding after a bleed then looses pressure and weeps (all over the floor, my rotor and down into the pads *yay*).

This is really better suited to the "mechanics quick question" thread if I'm honest.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
Loosing brake fluid would theoretically reduce weight.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 13:53 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
Shimano QC issue:

Probably just a poor install of the barb and olive. You’ll need a new barb and olive ($5) and someone who can cut, install, and re-bleed

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019893
Mobile Version of Website