Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
justgoride wrote:
sherbet wrote:
DJ bikes aren't mtbs. XC bikes that aren't raced are trail bikes.

DJs are definitely mtbs, and xc bikes that aren't raced most certainly still are xc bikes. you're just nitpicking now.

DJ's are mtbs in the same way 8x BMX bikes are. They ride dirt. They share very little with modern bikes, and the gap is widening every year. DJ shares a lot more culturally with BMX and skateboarding than it does MTB.

This is my opinion, you're free to disagree.

XC bikes that aren't raced are just short travel bikes riding on trails, IE, they're trail bikes. XC, Enduro, and DH are race formats.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
sherbet wrote:
justgoride wrote:
sherbet wrote:
DJ bikes aren't mtbs. XC bikes that aren't raced are trail bikes.

DJs are definitely mtbs, and xc bikes that aren't raced most certainly still are xc bikes. you're just nitpicking now.

DJ's are mtbs in the same way 8x BMX bikes are. They ride dirt. They share very little with modern bikes, and the gap is widening every year. DJ shares a lot more culturally with BMX and skateboarding than it does MTB.

This is my opinion, you're free to disagree.

XC bikes that aren't raced are just short travel bikes riding on trails, IE, they're trail bikes. XC, Enduro, and DH are race formats.

90% of the people who buy a brand new enduro bike next year will never even see an enduro race. but they are still buying an enduro bike that has been designed for enduro racing. as for DJs, most BMXers will never see them as BMXs, and almost all the people who buy them are mountain bikers first and foremost. for me, this makes them mountain bikes.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
99% of our customers with DJ bikes own a BMX or no other bike. A very insignificant few of them also own an MTB. The overlap in this area is next to zero.

Semantics aside, you can sort any currently sold bike into the list I gave. Name me a bike that doesn't fit and I'll invent some new shit.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
With pump tracks being so popular I would say most folks that have mtbs are thinking of getting a DJ bike for the pumptrack or already have one. Atleast in my area.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:36 Quote
sherbet wrote:
99% of our customers with DJ bikes own a BMX or no other bike. A very insignificant few of them also own an MTB. The overlap in this area is next to zero.

Semantics aside, you can sort any currently sold bike into the list I gave. Name me a bike that doesn't fit and I'll invent some new shit.

personally, i think thats complete bollocks. but genuinely, i don't care if you think that. i just don't think thats true at all.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
justgoride wrote:
sherbet wrote:

personally, i think thats complete bollocks. but genuinely, i don't care if you think that. i just don't think thats true at all.

Cool story bro.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
Question: if I ride XC trails on my enduro bike, is it still an enduro bike? If I go into a store and say "I need some tires for my XC bike" you might show me the wrong tires.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
seraph wrote:
Question: if I ride XC trails on my enduro bike, is it still an enduro bike? If I go into a store and say "I need some tires for my XC bike" you might show me the wrong tires.

precisely my point, what matters is what it's made for (whether that's what the manufacturer built it as or what someone made it into) not what its used for.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 12:50 Quote
seraph wrote:

Yep, it's still an enduro bike. Putting an f1 car on dirt leaves you with a dirty f1 car.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 13:05 Quote
I just like classifying things.

In my [im]perfect world:

XC: 100-115mm travel (f/r), 430+ chainstay, 67-69 degree head angle, long reach.
XC Race: 60-115mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 67.5-69 degree head angle, medium to long reach.
Downcountry: 100-130mm travel, 420-430 chainstay, 64-67 degree head angle, medium to long reach.
Trail: 120-140mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 63-67 degree head angle, medium reach.
Enduro: 140-160mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 62-65 degree head angle, medium to long reach.
Super Enduro: 160-190mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 62-65 degree head angle, medium to long reach.
DH (Park): 180-220mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 62-66 degree head angle, medium reach.
DH Race: 180-200mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 63-66 degree head angle, medium reach.

Unless you're Pole/Nicolai and then you take all of those numbers and standards and shove them all in a blender and pour it into a mold and then huck it to flat.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
I call em mountain bikes

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 13:25 Quote
seraph wrote:

Unless you're Pole/Nicolai and then you take all of those numbers and standards and shove them all in a blender and pour it into a mold and then huck it to flat.

nice one ahahah

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
nubbs wrote:
I call em mountain bikes

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
seraph wrote:
I just like classifying things.

In my [im]perfect world:

XC: 100-115mm travel (f/r), 430+ chainstay, 67-69 degree head angle, long reach.
XC Race: 60-115mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 67.5-69 degree head angle, medium to long reach.
Downcountry: 100-130mm travel, 420-430 chainstay, 64-67 degree head angle, medium to long reach.
Trail: 120-140mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 63-67 degree head angle, medium reach.
Enduro: 140-160mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 62-65 degree head angle, medium to long reach.
Super Enduro: 160-190mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 62-65 degree head angle, medium to long reach.
DH (Park): 180-220mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 62-66 degree head angle, medium reach.
DH Race: 180-200mm travel, 430+ chainstay, 63-66 degree head angle, medium reach.

...but, what about all mountain bikes?

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
I do like riding bikes on dirt.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.050064
Mobile Version of Website