Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
seraph wrote:
Objectively, who makes the lightest long travel (170mm) single crown? I'm toying with the idea of building a Slash C and trying to keep the weight below 30 lbs. With regular parts and a cursory weight estimate I'm coming in around 30 lbs on the dot.

Just food for thought, where will you ride that in oregon? I feel like most of our terrain is easily ridden on a 120mm bike like your top fuel. Obviously I want to see a long travel light weight build, but I have seen a lot of people in the portland area do that and not have too many places to really take advantage of the travel

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
It's between Lyrik or mezzer pro, My lyrik rc 180 27.5 was something like 1935

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
seraph wrote:
Objectively, who makes the lightest long travel (170mm) single crown? I'm toying with the idea of building a Slash C and trying to keep the weight below 30 lbs. With regular parts and a cursory weight estimate I'm coming in around 30 lbs on the dot.

Just food for thought, where will you ride that in oregon? I feel like most of our terrain is easily ridden on a 120mm bike like your top fuel. Obviously I want to see a long travel light weight build, but I have seen a lot of people in the portland area do that and not have too many places to really take advantage of the travel

For me it's not about building a bike with enough travel to ride certain trails. I like to build bikes so that I have fun, not to conquer a particular type of terrain.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
It's between Lyrik or mezzer pro, My lyrik rc 180 27.5 was something like 1935

or new 36 with 170 shaft. Blank Stare

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
seraph wrote:

Would be fine if running laps on Thrilium/Cold Creek a lot. I see people shuttling DH bikes all the time. Add Skibowl and some parts of Sandy to the mix and it could make sense if you are going huge/fast.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
seraph wrote:

Formula Selva R should be sub 2000g

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
Ooo, Formula. I haven't messed with their forks for a long time.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 4:07 Quote
when i looked into it, the Lyrik was the lightest.

Formula may have changed that but when you also add into $$ the lyrik is by far the best fork available.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
seraph wrote:
tbeezle wrote:
seraph wrote:

For me it's not about building a bike with enough travel to ride certain trails. I like to build bikes so that I have fun, not to conquer a particular type of terrain.

I feel that, Just have to ask because ever rider in oregon wants to over bike themselves, i knew dudes that exclusively rode bike paths and xc/gravel trails on megatowers. Everyone in oregon wants the big bike but we dont have a lot of the big trails for them, so I like to ask

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 11:49 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
seraph wrote:
tbeezle wrote:

I feel that, Just have to ask because ever rider in oregon wants to over bike themselves, i knew dudes that exclusively rode bike paths and xc/gravel trails on megatowers. Everyone in oregon wants the big bike but we dont have a lot of the big trails for them, so I like to ask

*shrug* my GM and DM both have Slash C bikes and they ride them pretty frequently. They also will drive 2-3 hours to ride MTBs so they don't exclusively stay in the Portland area.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
we dont have any mountains where i live so we load up and drive to them instead.

i burped a load of tubeless sealant last weekend and cant get it off my rim...any tips on how to break that stuff down easily?

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 14:04 Quote
seraph wrote:
tbeezle wrote:
seraph wrote:

*shrug* my GM and DM both have Slash C bikes and they ride them pretty frequently. They also will drive 2-3 hours to ride MTBs so they don't exclusively stay in the Portland area.

If you're willing to drive then its totally worth it, it would def be a fun bike to take to timberline and ride the lifts with, but i also could do everything there on a 23lb 120mm bike. Might just be a personal opinion thing. there hasnt been anything in oregon I have ridden that I think you need more than 140mm for. and I've lived in oregon my whole life. I haven't ridden Bachelor lift trails but i hear a DH bike is almost needed for most of the trails, but thats about it

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
seraph wrote:
tbeezle wrote:

If you're willing to drive then its totally worth it, it would def be a fun bike to take to timberline and ride the lifts with, but i also could do everything there on a 23lb 120mm bike. Might just be a personal opinion thing. there hasnt been anything in oregon I have ridden that I think you need more than 140mm for. and I've lived in oregon my whole life. I haven't ridden Bachelor lift trails but i hear a DH bike is almost needed for most of the trails, but thats about it

Well I have a 30 lb 115mm travel bike right now so I should be fine. But I like building bikes and it would be a fun project to build a sub 30lb 160/170 bike.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
i burped a load of tubeless sealant last weekend and cant get it off my rim...any tips on how to break that stuff down easily?
Acetone

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 21:28 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
seraph wrote:
tbeezle wrote:

LOL sounds like Marin.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021556
Mobile Version of Website