Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 22:27 Quote
Weird, the shop I'm at in Marin sells a hundred tallboys and blurs for every megatower.

There are plenty of trails in Marin where a bigger bike is justified, but not enough to have one as your only ride (unless you always ride the same trails or ride outside of Marin frequently). Probably why most guys I know here with big bikes also have a smaller bike

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 1:16 Quote
It is interesting. In the UK loads of people over-bike, particularly in the Southeast, where I'm from.

Realistically you can ride everything in the southeast on a 140-150mm trail bike - if you watch guys like Olly Wilkins and Brendon Fairclough (our local pros) you'll never see them riding big bikes locally, there's no need.

Doesn't mean the trails here aren't full of Slashes, Nomads, Megatowers, Ransoms etc.

We should be seeing a lot more Fuel EXs, Tallboys and stumpys if people were more realistic about the bikes they need.

My theory is that a lot of the serious riders here make a lot of trips to Wales (3 hour drive) to ride uplift and most summers make a pilgrimage to the Alps (8-10 hour drive). If you're making those trips suddenly you can justify the big bikes. Then there's a tonne of riders who are just copying the bikes they see other people on - and hence we have a culture of overbiking.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 2:37 Quote
tom666 wrote:
It is interesting. In the UK loads of people over-bike, particularly in the Southeast, where I'm from.

Realistically you can ride everything in the southeast on a 140-150mm trail bike - if you watch guys like Olly Wilkins and Brendon Fairclough (our local pros) you'll never see them riding big bikes locally, there's no need.

Doesn't mean the trails here aren't full of Slashes, Nomads, Megatowers, Ransoms etc.

We should be seeing a lot more Fuel EXs, Tallboys and stumpys if people were more realistic about the bikes they need.

My theory is that a lot of the serious riders here make a lot of trips to Wales (3 hour drive) to ride uplift and most summers make a pilgrimage to the Alps (8-10 hour drive). If you're making those trips suddenly you can justify the big bikes. Then there's a tonne of riders who are just copying the bikes they see other people on - and hence we have a culture of overbiking.
I've always had bigger bikes. Now I'm on a 150mm frame it's definitely not holding me back but I do always have that one trip to the alps or weekend in Wales in the back of my mind where I know I'd prefer a DH bike but I just can't have 2 big bikes in the stable...its not an easy compromise!

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Weird, the shop I'm at in Marin sells a hundred tallboys and blurs for every megatower.

There are plenty of trails in Marin where a bigger bike is justified, but not enough to have one as your only ride (unless you always ride the same trails or ride outside of Marin frequently). Probably why most guys I know here with big bikes also have a smaller bike

We sold a bunch of Megatowers, Bronsons, Enduros, Stumpjumper Evos, etc at MB Saus but they were always to older, more experienced riders. My co-worker did have an S-Works Enduro as his only bike but he almost exclusively rode Soulstice in Fairfax.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:39 Quote
You can ride pretty much any trail with any bike regardless of travel. The only real difference is how fast you can ride those trails.

I ride a 160mm travel Warden, a buddy rides a 130mm travel Druid, another guy 140mm Troy. They all excel in different areas but none are holding any of us back.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:45 Quote
I was amazed by how fun a Trek Session was on the blue flow trails at Bike Park Wales. I get the theoretical downsides to overbiking but I've never really felt them.

A change of tyres I find more of a performance differentiator, I've got some 2.1" XC tyres that I swap on to my Patrol if I'm doing anything particularly mild, which coupled with the switch on the shock is more than enough to negate the travel on the flat / uphill.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
That’s my least favourite thing about tubeless is the pain in the ass of switching tires. I used to swap for big long days but now I just ride what’s mounted.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
I was amazed by how fun a Trek Session was on the blue flow trails at Bike Park Wales. I get the theoretical downsides to overbiking but I've never really felt them.

A change of tyres I find more of a performance differentiator, I've got some 2.1" XC tyres that I swap on to my Patrol if I'm doing anything particularly mild, which coupled with the switch on the shock is more than enough to negate the travel on the flat / uphill.

The fact you had a session at the top of BPW means you were on the uplift tho right?

If you've got an uplift then sure, might as well run a dh bike, why not.

But if you were using your own power to get up the hill and doing smooth blues back down, suddenly the session is caught lacking

I'm all for having a DH bike and a trail bike. I think it makes a lot of sense

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
Ah yeah for sure I took the lazy way up. But the recent field test seems to support the theory that not all long travel bikes are pigs up hill so overbiking isn't quite the burden it once was.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
There’s plenty of stuff “near” Portland where a bigger bike would be more fun. Maybe not a ton of natural tech out there but you can find big features that mere mortals would be on the edge attempting on a short travel rig. There’s some serious stuff at RP these days, plus thrillium, parts of Sandy, parts of post canyon. Obviously there’s a difference between getting down a trail and really pinning it too.

I say that as a tallboy owner who avoids the bigger hit stuff.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
Ah yeah for sure I took the lazy way up. But the recent field test seems to support the theory that not all long travel bikes are pigs up hill so overbiking isn't quite the burden it once was.
I am definetely faster on my '19 patrol compared to the bronson3. Also, getting the same elevation and distance is less tiresome either with the patrol.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
Anyone tried one of these chinese DT ratchets?

They are upping the teeth to 60

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 22:46 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Anyone tried one of these chinese DT ratchets?

They are upping the teeth to 60
Lol... I'm sure that extra 2/3 of a degree is a real game changer.

I'll pass.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 23:10 Quote
54 is already super low float.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 0:07 Quote
tom666 wrote:

There is me living in Wales and ride a Giant Trance lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019826
Mobile Version of Website