Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 0:16 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
tom666 wrote:
It is interesting. In the UK loads of people over-bike, particularly in the Southeast, where I'm from.

Realistically you can ride everything in the southeast on a 140-150mm trail bike - if you watch guys like Olly Wilkins and Brendon Fairclough (our local pros) you'll never see them riding big bikes locally, there's no need.

Doesn't mean the trails here aren't full of Slashes, Nomads, Megatowers, Ransoms etc.

We should be seeing a lot more Fuel EXs, Tallboys and stumpys if people were more realistic about the bikes they need.

My theory is that a lot of the serious riders here make a lot of trips to Wales (3 hour drive) to ride uplift and most summers make a pilgrimage to the Alps (8-10 hour drive). If you're making those trips suddenly you can justify the big bikes. Then there's a tonne of riders who are just copying the bikes they see other people on - and hence we have a culture of overbiking.

There is me living in Wales and ride a Giant Trance lol

You're an anomaly here I think lol

My buddy who moved to wales had a 650b 170/170 Capra as his last bike. He's just changed to a 180/180 Spindrift with mullet wheels. Can't get enough bike for all those bikeparks and big mountains

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 5:00 Quote
tom666 wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
tom666 wrote:
It is interesting. In the UK loads of people over-bike, particularly in the Southeast, where I'm from.

Realistically you can ride everything in the southeast on a 140-150mm trail bike - if you watch guys like Olly Wilkins and Brendon Fairclough (our local pros) you'll never see them riding big bikes locally, there's no need.

Doesn't mean the trails here aren't full of Slashes, Nomads, Megatowers, Ransoms etc.

We should be seeing a lot more Fuel EXs, Tallboys and stumpys if people were more realistic about the bikes they need.

My theory is that a lot of the serious riders here make a lot of trips to Wales (3 hour drive) to ride uplift and most summers make a pilgrimage to the Alps (8-10 hour drive). If you're making those trips suddenly you can justify the big bikes. Then there's a tonne of riders who are just copying the bikes they see other people on - and hence we have a culture of overbiking.

There is me living in Wales and ride a Giant Trance lol

You're an anomaly here I think lol

My buddy who moved to wales had a 650b 170/170 Capra as his last bike. He's just changed to a 180/180 Spindrift with mullet wheels. Can't get enough bike for all those bikeparks and big mountains
Us born and bred only need xc hardtails for most of the riding around me. I do have a 180/180 Rose Soulfire for uplifts, I've used it twice this year. It will take a duel crown fork and can flip the chip in the rear to give in 190 in the rear, so I might do that and make more of a DH bike than a freeride bike.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
seraph wrote:
54 is already super low float.

I was thinking 54 is already so easy to destroy if you put down watts. I don't think the Chinese ratchet would survive.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 9:57 Quote
I had a ride with a 18t 350 hub recently. Completely uneventful.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
Where I live now has a lot of super techy and punchy climbs where really low engagement does really make a difference.

People are blowing up 54t DT ones? DT Swiss says the ratchet is the best thoooo Rolleyes

Maybe I'll just guinea pig it since it's cheap, cause I don't want to drop a couple hundred on a i9 hub right now.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Where I live now has a lot of super techy and punchy climbs where really low engagement does really make a difference.

People are blowing up 54t DT ones? DT Swiss says the ratchet is the best thoooo Rolleyes

Maybe I'll just guinea pig it since it's cheap, cause I don't want to drop a couple hundred on a i9 hub right now.
The only DT's I've ever seen suffer issues have all been badly over-greased. I've put a couple thousand miles on 54's with zero issues, and I've put well over 10k miles on the road on 36t without issues. My current road wheels are on 180's that are in the product production date range that supposedly had hardening issues causing problems. They sent me a new freewheel and ratchet kits but I haven't actually had any slippage issues.

I have yet to see a system that's been more reliable, either for me personally or in the general population.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:

Same here, I just don’t give a shit.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
Axxe wrote:
I had a ride with a 18t 350 hub recently. Completely uneventful.

Thats because they suck and are too quiet.

NO swagger in the 18T or 36T

54T or go take up ceramics ya'll

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
Been on 54t ratchets since the time of getting it from trek before DT would sell them. Never a single issue.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
my 54t also good and now a respectable volume also

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
I like mine looooouuuuud so I lube them with Dri Slide.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 23:28 Quote
seraph wrote:
I like mine looooouuuuud so I lube them with Dri Slide.

Are you talking about hubs or something else? lol

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
A weight game (gain?) related question - how many of you are running inserts, and which ones have you tried?

I just picked up a pair of cushcore pros for a price that was too good to pass up, interested to see if the extra rolling weight in SG tyres makes the bike too dead-feeling or not. Would have preferred to try the new Tannus ones, but maybe that's a later experiment if I don't get on so well with cushcore. Anyone tried both and has some insights?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019386
Mobile Version of Website