Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
Put a full set of Pro's on my 5.5 and it make it feel like it had 5-10mm more mm of travel in rock gardens. Never felt like it made the bike more "dead", just more traction and the feel of more suspension. Ran pro in the rear on my DH bike which I could feel more traction out of. Trying CC XC now in my downcountry Fuel in the rear but only have 1 ride on that so far so I can report back. But hat was more of an insurance move so I don't blow up my nice XC wheel.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 12:42 Quote
riish wrote:
A weight game (gain?) related question - how many of you are running inserts, and which ones have you tried?

I just picked up a pair of cushcore pros for a price that was too good to pass up, interested to see if the extra rolling weight in SG tyres makes the bike too dead-feeling or not. Would have preferred to try the new Tannus ones, but maybe that's a later experiment if I don't get on so well with cushcore. Anyone tried both and has some insights?

Tannis. Normally run 28+ psi as I burp a lot. Forgot to air up for a ride last week, went out closer to 20 PSI. Burped once, but it was a pretty itty bitty one, and the tires did support me through corners.

Mostly got them as I don't want to need to source replacement rims this year, but so far been surprised with how decent they are in general. I normally flat spot 3/4 alloy rims a year, this year still yet to f*ck anything.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 12:53 Quote
I don't run inserts but all my co-workers do. Cush Core Pro. At least in the back. My former co-worker also ran them on his gravel bike on the rear only, so he could run 25 psi and smash.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
I am fat and ride like a hack. Every trail and downhill and ebike gets Cushcore F+R. Sometimes I can get away with Rear only on the hardtail if I don't get too wild.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 14:13 Quote
Ran Huck Norris when it was a new idea and it didn't do a damn thing for me. Went to Cushcore about 4 years ago now and never looked back

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
In theory inserts should allow you to override lighter tires, right? In the last 5 years I’ve only sliced a single tire. I feel like I could run lighter tires with inserts.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 20:37 Quote
I would rather have piece of mind riding slightly heavier tires than get a flat any day.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 23:54 Quote
I use tubed Tannus inserts and at the moment have got Grid tyres on my park bike. The one park near me is just granite rock slabs and generally just gnar, both tyres survived a full day on me riding like a hack.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 5:52 Quote
I'm running the Tannus tubeless insert with a carbon hoop and a DHR 2.4.
The "wings" of the insert that come up and brace the bead area offer a lot of lateral support. It's almost like an ankle for your rear wheel.
https://images.app.goo.gl/NEVUnJVL38FabRtf9

I've also tried the Rimpact.
Good but not much sidewall support. More of a rim protector.

I think bigger riders benefit the most from an insert.
I'm 200 lb riding roots and rocks.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
I do not like heavy wheels.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 6:28 Quote
I'm sure you travel, but your local certainly doesnt demand inserts or heavy tires for that matter.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 6:58 Quote
Nah just bike paths around town.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
PHeller wrote:
In theory inserts should allow you to override lighter tires, right? In the last 5 years I’ve only sliced a single tire. I feel like I could run lighter tires with inserts.

Depends on what you need heavier tires for. If you're riding around a ton of sharp granite or volcanic rock that wants to rip open your tires like a fat kid into a bag of chips, then no. But for pinch flats, rim denting, or if you're a heavier rider who's burping tires all the time then yeah it's going to help for that.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
I've been running Tannus for about a year and a half now, with a variety of different tire brands/casings, and have come to the conclusion that you should keep the same casing as you were using before. I typically do Exo/equivalent up front and DD/equivalent out back. While inserts add some protection to the rim, they don't make a casing any tougher. The primary advantages are lower pressure for more grip and comfort and rim protection - not sidewall or casing protection.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
I've been running Tannus for about a year and a half now, with a variety of different tire brands/casings, and have come to the conclusion that you should keep the same casing as you were using before. I typically do Exo/equivalent up front and DD/equivalent out back. While inserts add some protection to the rim, they don't make a casing any tougher. The primary advantages are lower pressure for more grip and comfort and rim protection - not sidewall or casing protection.
ive (for some reason) run nothing but EXO tires for a long time. ive never found an issue with the support and grip they provide around 26psi front/28 psi rear, however i have always had pinch flat issues. running an XC cushcore now (got too good of a deal to pass up) and ive found that it eliminates a 75% of pinch flats, and protects the rim well, but does little to nothing in terms of sidewall support. since ive always run flimsy sidewalls i dont know what im missing, but the rim protection is a great benefit. might try tannus next with EXO plus next.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021886
Mobile Version of Website