Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Author Message
Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
Road bike tubeless is an absolute bitch to get set with a lot of wheel and tire combinations too - spent a lot of time doing my head in when I worked at a shop.
Yeah, it adds a bunch of hassle for essentially no benefit at all. All the things that make it great off road just don't apply on the road, really the perfect example of the industry relentlessly trying to force a product.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
abennett219 wrote:
Road bike tubeless is an absolute bitch to get set with a lot of wheel and tire combinations too - spent a lot of time doing my head in when I worked at a shop.
Yeah, it adds a bunch of hassle for essentially no benefit at all. All the things that make it great off road just don't apply on the road, really the perfect example of the industry relentlessly trying to force a product.
Agree. Love tubeless for my MTB and CX bike, don't see the point for my road bike though.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
Apparently inserts were being used at the Tour this year and last.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/09/2020-tour-de-france-tech-inside-efs-tubeless-tire-foam-party/

https://www.vittoria.com/ww/en/stories/sport/tour-de-france-tyres

" At this year’s Giro d’Italia, Team DSM set the incredible record of getting just 1 flat tyre in the entire event by using Corsa. Paired with Corsa TLR, the Air-Liner Road tire insert will be used for increased safety and comfort. It allows for run-flat riding, enabling riders to cross the finish line even using a flat tire."

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 10:53 Quote
Circe wrote:
So, tubulars?
Nah... good open tubulars and latex tubes. Tubulars don't add anything but headaches, I'm not going down that road again.

Were tubs ever a thing on mountain bikes, like early days XC or anything? Or was that purely a road/cross thing?

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Apparently inserts were being used at the Tour this year and last.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/09/2020-tour-de-france-tech-inside-efs-tubeless-tire-foam-party/

https://www.vittoria.com/ww/en/stories/sport/tour-de-france-tyres

" At this year’s Giro d’Italia, Team DSM set the incredible record of getting just 1 flat tyre in the entire event by using Corsa. Paired with Corsa TLR, the Air-Liner Road tire insert will be used for increased safety and comfort. It allows for run-flat riding, enabling riders to cross the finish line even using a flat tire."
Yeah, pros on tubeless rims were running them for run flat ability mostly. That's the one advantage of tubs for pros, they can keep rolling while they wait for the team car to get close with a spare wheel. Clinchers would pull off without the insert. I think EF was running them too and some others. It's kind of wild that they're running such a mix on the road now... it was always all tubs but now there's some guys running tubes, some on tubs, some tubeless, some tubeless with inserts.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
Wait wait wait...you mean personal preference is a thing? Or maybe, just maybe, you run whatever the sponsor throws at you?

I do think there are some advantages to inserts, otherwise Enduro, XC, DH, Road and Gravel riders wouldn't secretly run them. The fact that many teams are shy about releasing details on inserts tells you that they think they've got some advantage...or they are trying to bait other teams into running them because they are pointless weight, lol.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Wait wait wait...you mean personal preference is a thing? Or maybe, just maybe, you run whatever the sponsor throws at you?

I do think there are some advantages to inserts, otherwise Enduro, XC, DH, Road and Gravel riders wouldn't secretly run them. The fact that many teams are shy about releasing details on inserts tells you that they think they've got some advantage...or they are trying to bait other teams into running them because they are pointless weight, lol.
Or they're not wanting to create issues by tacitly suggesting that their sponsors products aren't good enough all on their own.

Really the only teams that have been open about it are those that are running Vittoria tires and inserts... everyone else has been coy to some degree about what they're actually doing.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Circe wrote:
So, tubulars?
Nah... good open tubulars and latex tubes. Tubulars don't add anything but headaches, I'm not going down that road again.

Were tubs ever a thing on mountain bikes, like early days XC or anything? Or was that purely a road/cross thing?

They still are a thing.
I second latex tubes and throw an ounce of sealant in them

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 6:19 Quote
scotteh wrote:
PHeller wrote:
Is that 29lbs with the pump and bottle?
crs-one wrote:
29.4 pounds with empty bottle cage and pump bracket
@PHeller ^.

Great looking rig CR, bet it's fun as hell! What is the inbound XC frame?

I've got my Knolly in ST mode while I rehab my shoulder and I'm loving it, so fast and fun. I know it's a little heavy for a 120mm frame, but I'm surprised the Fugitive ST doesn't get more love by the "downcountry" crowd. Right now it's set up with a 140mm 34 Fit4 up front, but think I will switch back to 150mm 36 Grip2 because the 34 just can't keep up with how stiff the frame is / plush the 120mm DPS is in the back.

Now that it's out, Rocky Mountain Element. I'm probably not seeing mine for a while but that will give me a chance to wrestle with how XC I want to make it. Currently thinking Bontrager RSL bar/stem, XT/XTR shifty bits, Hydra/WR1 Faction wheels, and the rest is kinda up in the air.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 7:58 Quote
Isn’t the element a trail bike now ? 130/120 travel?

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
Circe wrote:
Isn’t the element a trail bike now ? 130/120 travel?

I'm getting real tired of having to categorize bikes. I just say it's a bike with "XXX" travel now. The categories are a bit ridiculous.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
I miss the days when it was "100mm means it's an XC bike", though I do so enjoy trying to categorize everything. A lot of it is geometry and build these days more than travel though. Even a 100mm travel bike with a 64 degree head angle, 30mm internal rims, and 29x2.5 tires could be classified as a trail bike.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
seraph wrote:
I miss the days when it was "100mm means it's an XC bike", though I do so enjoy trying to categorize everything.

Autism triggered.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Circe wrote:
Isn’t the element a trail bike now ? 130/120 travel?

I'm getting real tired of having to categorize bikes. I just say it's a bike with "XXX" travel now. The categories are a bit ridiculous.

XC, trail, AM, enduro, park, DH race.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019670
Mobile Version of Website