Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 20:57 Quote
scotteh wrote:
So while yes, I agree that there is financial illiteracy and some irresponsible spending at play here, it is overly simplistic for older generations to say "well I did it, so you can too". There are headwinds beyond our control at play here. It doesn't matter how many daily latte's and avocado toasts you skip when wages are the stagnant but the largest component of the cost of living has tripled...

Reason for this is regulations upon regulations for building and development. You get what you voted for. You will own nothing and be happy in communist utopia soon enough.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 20:58 Quote
chunter wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
A good mechanic that goes out on his own should be able to charge 80-90/hr and pocket 30-40/hr.. Anyone worth their salt is probably wasting their time at a retail focused shop.

I feel like mechanic’s real gripe should be with YouTube. I used to be so intimidated to work on my bike when I was young and thought I could break it by trying. Most adjustments and repairs on a bike are not difficult, but stuff like suspension work is invaluable. I’m a carpenter for a living, a lot of people could learn my skills easily and also be a carpenter. Working in the bike industry is passion driven, so they don’t have to pay as much because people WANT to do the work. No one wants to be a carpenter, so I can charge more. Rambley ass post, my apologies

I am a handy man, have gutted and remodeled 2 of my houses at this point. Dad has passed a bunch of knowledge down to me, but he was just a handyman as well.

I watched the essential craftsmen series on his spec house and I am GC'ing my apartment build next year.. And I'd say 80% of that knowledge comes from YouTube/Google education.

The other side of this is, I own an excavator with a fancy tiltrotator head on it.. Everyone wants to play with excavators to do their diy jobs, but my setup is a 100k setup that is 10x more efficient than the excavator that they can rent for 300/day.. So I have done a ton of clean up work where someone rented a machine, realized they couldn't do what they wanted to do, and then hired me to clean up their mess.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 21:33 Quote
I have always worked on my bike and still do. I would say youtube videos help but messing stuff up and learning by trial and error is even more valuable.

To be fair most things on a bike are hard to get really wrong if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Trueing, bearings and suspension are the only things the ones that can go really wrong.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 22:24 Quote
Factory suspension tech here

We don't get paid shit

f*ck man

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 22:34 Quote
There is no god-given right for capital to exploit labor lmfao. Everyone deserves a living wage.

Sounds like bike mechanics should unionize. And/or start worker co-ops. Of course this requires a repair based model because no way would the big bike brands want to work with an unusual business model.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 22:50 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Factory suspension tech here

We don't get paid shit

f*ck man

So, you're saying you'll service my suspension off the clock?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 22:53 Quote
as a Bike shop/business owner, this thread is great, you guys wind yourselves up and still get it wrong.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
as a Bike shop/business owner, this thread is great, you guys wind yourselves up and still get it wrong.
Please enlighten us!

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 22:59 Quote
noideamtber wrote:

I am very thankful I’m not in your shoes, people have no idea how difficult it is to run a business

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 23:01 Quote
scotteh wrote:
noideamtber wrote:
Please enlighten us!

Dont need to, the guys here apparently have all the answers - but seriously no, whatever i say will get shot down by a PB expert saying im either doing it wrong or someone will take it personally and ill get attacked like normal.

No good discussions ever happen on a forum about anything serious because people hide behind the screen and can search what they think is true and will find/locate any fake news to reaffirm their point - nobody has ever won these battles except for the guys who dont comment because they watch it unfold and laugh, then they can pick out the clowns and avoid them on the forum.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 23:04 Quote
chunter wrote:
noideamtber wrote:

I am very thankful I’m not in your shoes, people have no idea how difficult it is to run a business

Exactly, especially a store front. the internet experts that come into our store are serious problems, they come in with issues, opinions or whatever makes them high and get told whats actually wrong with their bike or attempt to claim warranty on a smashed frame they recorded themselves doing something dumb - We then end up on a forum post getting bashed and then nobody wins.

Anyway guys, carry on.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 0:10 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
scotteh wrote:
noideamtber wrote:
Please enlighten us!

Dont need to, the guys here apparently have all the answers - but seriously no, whatever i say will get shot down by a PB expert saying im either doing it wrong or someone will take it personally and ill get attacked like normal.

No good discussions ever happen on a forum about anything serious because people hide behind the screen and can search what they think is true and will find/locate any fake news to reaffirm their point - nobody has ever won these battles except for the guys who dont comment because they watch it unfold and laugh, then they can pick out the clowns and avoid them on the forum.

There is the usual level of forum bullshit involved... But if you really wanted to have a legitimate discussion about this, you could do it here.. You went through the effort of posting a reply here, so you obviously care somewhat..

There are enough industry reps/service managers/ high end techs in this forum that anything of value you might have to add would be considered reasonable or at least received in a way to start meaningful discussions.

There are a half dozen inside reps and sales people that frequent this forum and another dozen shop managers/service writers that you are in a decent space to discuss this issue.

I had a mobile repair business built... LLC formed, mobile shop built out in my trailer, logo built, etc.. I was ready to go.. We had a wind storm come through that crushed my truck/trailer combo as well as my house.. It was kinda one of those moments that told me I wasn't supposed to be in the bike industry anymore. Left the industry and made more money being self employed in 3 months than I ever made in a year of the bike industry. Looking back, that tree that crushed my mobile setup was probably the best thing that could have happened to me.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 0:12 Quote
burningpines wrote:
There is no god-given right for capital to exploit labor lmfao. Everyone deserves a living wage.

Sounds like bike mechanics should unionize. And/or start worker co-ops. Of course this requires a repair based model because no way would the big bike brands want to work with an unusual business model.
Nobody deserves anything until they earn it. If millennial lefties like you put half as much effort into developing marketable skills as you do into crying about what you deserve, we wouldn't need to have discussions like this.

If you don't like your wage, go get a better one... nobody owes you anything just because you think you deserve it.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 0:15 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
scotteh wrote:
noideamtber wrote:
Please enlighten us!

This is a top quality bullshit cop-out right here... lol

If all you wanted to say was that you were full of shit and couldn't back up your nonsense, you could've been a whole lot less verbose about it.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 0:22 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
burningpines wrote:

Nobody deserves anything until they earn it. If millennial lefties like you put half as much effort into developing marketable skills as you do into crying about what you deserve, we wouldn't need to have discussions like this.

If you don't like your wage, go get a better one... nobody owes you anything just because you think you deserve it.

Thank you for putting my feelings so bluntly out there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029868
Mobile Version of Website