Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 16:40 Quote
Man. Last week I bought a titanium bolt for my brake lever only to discover the stock bolt is aluminum and lighter. And I can't even come to this thread for support because you f*cks are re-enacting a Thanksgiving dinner.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Man. Last week I bought a titanium bolt for my brake lever only to discover the stock bolt is aluminum and lighter. And I can't even come to this thread for support because you f*cks are re-enacting a Thanksgiving dinner.
Titanium is like 60% heavier than aluminum so, unless it's a bolt that's large enough to take advantage of titanium being stronger and needing less material, aluminum bolts are usually lighter.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 16:53 Quote
Building up a trail/AM/Enduro hardtail, after some 29" 30mm rims for it, what should I be looking for?

Wants:
Carbon, cos I'm a tart
Lightish, cos this is the weight game thread
Available this year, in the UK, as rim only
£1000-1200 for a pair

Considered so far:
Reserve 30 & 30SL - 6 month plus wait
Zipp 3-zero - bit heavy?
WTB CZR - unknown quantity, but reviews seem positive and can be had for £750/pair
WAO union - bit heavy, possible overkill for my needs
Stans Flow CB7 - 29mm (can live with that) reasonable weight, stock may be an issue

Thoughts? any other ideas?

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 17:01 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
crs-one wrote:
Titanium is like 60% heavier than aluminum so, unless it's a bolt that's large enough to take advantage of titanium being stronger and needing less material, aluminum bolts are usually lighter.

I always thought the opposite...I thought ti was lighter than alu... I R Dum Redface

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 17:04 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
Building up a trail/AM/Enduro hardtail, after some 29" 30mm rims for it, what should I be looking for?

Wants:
Carbon, cos I'm a tart
£1000-1200 for a pair

Considered so far:
Zipp 3-zero - bit heavy?
WTB CZR - unknown quantity, but reviews seem positive and can be had for £750/pair
Stans Flow CB7 - 29mm (can live with that) reasonable weight, stock may be an issue

I have two sets of Zipps and I like em a lot!
Just ordered WAO unions for new ebike build.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 17:29 Quote
crs-one wrote:

I just died. That was funny AF

Mod
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 17:30 Quote
fredro wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
crs-one wrote:

I always thought the opposite...I thought ti was lighter than alu... I R Dum Redface

Larger items, you can use less material(/eventually the less material will equal less weight) - that said I think it's almost twice as dense perhaps as BBLB suggests so once you pass that size/material threshold to make up the initial small part penalty. Bolts are a hard place to use less material.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 17:43 Quote
fredro wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
crs-one wrote:

In most applications, it is... because it's substantially stronger so you can use less material to get the strength you need out of the finished part.

But when you talk about small parts where you really can't use less material it loses that advantage. I don't recall the exact numbers but aluminum is just under 3g/cm3 and titanium is just over 4g/cm3.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 19:08 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
crs-one wrote:

Yeah, but titanium is just cooler and that has to count for something.

Anyway you know I fired that aluminum boy back in there. No time for feelings in the weight game.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 19:26 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
fredro wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

In most applications, it is... because it's substantially stronger so you can use less material to get the strength you need out of the finished part.

But when you talk about small parts where you really can't use less material it loses that advantage. I don't recall the exact numbers but aluminum is just under 3g/cm3 and titanium is just over 4g/cm3.

This is why I use ti bolts for load bearing applications, like stems and suspension, and aluminum for non load bearing applications that don’t take a lot of torque, like brake levers, seatpost clamps etc.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
crs-one wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
crs-one wrote:

Yeah, but titanium is just cooler and that has to count for something.

Anyway you know I fired that aluminum boy back in there. No time for feelings in the weight game.

They’re both cool, but you can get aluminum anodized in several colors, some fade from sun though. Ti looks good natural, but can also be had in rainbow or black.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
So today marks the 1 year anniversary of my Levo being pulled out of the box, me looking at it and then hanging it up at that shop.. And it still hangs there today. That's depressing.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:

Wants:
Carbon, cos I'm a tart
£1000-1200 for a pair

Considered so far:
Zipp 3-zero - bit heavy?

If just getting rims, WAO or Revel, otherwise BTLOS unless you want to be able to send in a broken wheel and have it replaced in full. MTBR has a whole thread on BTLOS rims and not one complaint.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:

Wants:
Carbon, cos I'm a tart
£1000-1200 for a pair

Considered so far:
Zipp 3-zero - bit heavy?

I’m partial to light bikes. I’ve been on them for years and I don’t see a reason to change. They’re light, cheaper than most other carbon rims, (about $170-$190 each rim only last time I checked) they can do custom layups, (heavier or lighter) or water drain holes and different weaves for a different look and I believe they make them for a few of the well known brands, but I don’t remember who off the top of my head.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.047168
Mobile Version of Website