Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 22:35 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
Building up a trail/AM/Enduro hardtail, after some 29" 30mm rims for it, what should I be looking for?

Wants:
Carbon, cos I'm a tart
Lightish, cos this is the weight game thread
Available this year, in the UK, as rim only
£1000-1200 for a pair

Considered so far:
Reserve 30 & 30SL - 6 month plus wait
Zipp 3-zero - bit heavy?
WTB CZR - unknown quantity, but reviews seem positive and can be had for £750/pair
WAO union - bit heavy, possible overkill for my needs
Stans Flow CB7 - 29mm (can live with that) reasonable weight, stock may be an issue

Thoughts? any other ideas?

I’m partial to light bikes. I’ve been on them for years and I don’t see a reason to change. They’re light, cheaper than most other carbon rims, (about $170-$190 each rim only last time I checked) they can do custom layups, (heavier or lighter) or water drain holes and different weaves for a different look and I believe they make them for a few of the well known brands, but I don’t remember who off the top of my head.

This is years back, but Light Bikes/Derby/Roval rims all came out of the same mold about 5 years back.. We had one of each held all next to each other and if the logos were not on them, it would have been impossible to tell them apart.. But that was 5 years ago.. Things could be different now.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 22:45 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
Building up a trail/AM/Enduro hardtail, after some 29" 30mm rims for it, what should I be looking for?

Wants:
Carbon, cos I'm a tart
Lightish, cos this is the weight game thread
Available this year, in the UK, as rim only
£1000-1200 for a pair

Considered so far:
Reserve 30 & 30SL - 6 month plus wait
Zipp 3-zero - bit heavy?
WTB CZR - unknown quantity, but reviews seem positive and can be had for £750/pair
WAO union - bit heavy, possible overkill for my needs
Stans Flow CB7 - 29mm (can live with that) reasonable weight, stock may be an issue

Thoughts? any other ideas?

I’m partial to light bikes. I’ve been on them for years and I don’t see a reason to change. They’re light, cheaper than most other carbon rims, (about $170-$190 each rim only last time I checked) they can do custom layups, (heavier or lighter) or water drain holes and different weaves for a different look and I believe they make them for a few of the well known brands, but I don’t remember who off the top of my head.
I have been extremely impressed with my LB's... will definitely buy again.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 0:35 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
what other political hot potato can we discuss in this thread this week?
How many people would stop buying "Made in Taiwan" parts if they were labelled "Made in China"?

I'd never known the history or realised how few countries actually recognise it as an independent nation until everything kicked off recently.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 2:58 Quote
I broke my btlos rear rim on a root, didn’t think I hit it that hard but did feel a big hang up. Btlos replaced it for free but I had to pay shipping. Took about a month or two to get the wheel back on the bike. If it breaks again I’ll get a reserve because of the customer service

Ps, I’m usually quite light on rims. Never broken a rim before

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 3:01 Quote
Order it now, just incase, Stif/jungle are quoting a 6 month plus lead time, plus potentially price increases

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
Per my question about silver stems, I did end up with the Race Face Turbine R. I think the value proposition is high on these (I mean, at least in the world of bad value fancy forged stems where everything is heavier than a Kalloy). Lighter and cheaper than any of the made in north America options I could find. And I think it looks good except for the corny black bolts which will get swapped to silver ASAP.

Hoping this will take my 120/140 trail bike down from 32 pounds to 31.90 pounds lmao.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
My new 160/150 bike came with a 38 and I’m not sure how I feel about the extra weight.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
That's a big fork for a.... person of your size....

Just use some Ti bolts to offset the weight.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
I think they are overkill for all but 200lbs+ riders using them at 170mm riding gnarly/fast stuff.

I've heard some chatter saying that some riders are noticing it's harder to keep a line because the fork is too stiff. Or increase hand/wrist discomfort that they hadn't experienced before.

It's kinda like the Boxxer vs 40. The Boxxer isn't holding anyone back.

Would I take a Zeb, 38 or Mezzer if I was riding it at 170mm or 180mm? Probably yes, but I weigh 240lbs.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
burningpines wrote:
Per my question about silver stems, I did end up with the Race Face Turbine R. I think the value proposition is high on these (I mean, at least in the world of bad value fancy forged stems where everything is heavier than a Kalloy). Lighter and cheaper than any of the made in north America options I could find. And I think it looks good except for the corny black bolts which will get swapped to silver ASAP.

Hoping this will take my 120/140 trail bike down from 32 pounds to 31.90 pounds lmao.

I'll trade you the black ones for silver ones. Razz I have a black Haven (same stem) with silver bolts, so annoying. I think I just need to make a better bolts order.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
I've purchased 4 rims from Light Bicycle in the last 6 years.
Great value.
Easy to build.

They've all survived some bad line choices in rocky terrain.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
burningpines wrote:

this is listed as 1g heavier than my ENVE Alloy stem. Weight is only listed for the 50mm long RF stem though. Wonder if I stripped it to bare metal if it would lose that gram. Wink

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
Lol the bolts are yours if you pay for shipping from the US.

Ah, didn't consider the enve. Doesn't count as fancy if it doesn't come in color options, sorry!! Also mine is 32.5mm (even more all mountain/enduro than the 35mm enve).

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
burningpines wrote:
Lol the bolts are yours if you pay for shipping from the US.

Ah, didn't consider the enve. Doesn't count as fancy if it doesn't come in color options, sorry!! Also mine is 32.5mm (even more all mountain/enduro than the 35mm enve).

Damn, 32.5? that is super endurbro. I am jealous. I do love the ENVE stem though it looks awesome. I have a pretty insane E-Bike build that I should have completed hopefully this weekend. I will post it up here as an example of how to lose the weight game in spectacular fashion.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
That Turbine R is up there as one of the nicest looking stems on the market. Great mix of smooth lines and CNC tooling marks. I ride 31.8 bars now so it's no dice for me, but if I ever got a OneUp bar or some other real flexy 35mm bar, I could see getting a Turbine R.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022204
Mobile Version of Website