Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Author Message
Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
I dont have many pictures of the RX7 due to an ongoing fueling issue where it leans out at 5.8k RPM under load despite having a fuel system designed to deliver 900LPH that has plagued me for 3 years now... Therefore its only making 420hp and 0.5 bar.

I also have a VW caddy with a fully built NA engine that revs to 9k and makes 250hp, which is good fun too.







Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
Forget the rx7 the caddy is dope!

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 14:45 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Forget the rx7 the caddy is dope!

Seconding this, loving the Caddy! I've got a picture saved somewhere of a dark green one with a bike in the back that's goals

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 15:25 Quote
The FD RX7 is one of my all time favorite cars. I have a soft spot for Mazda’s and have always wanted to own a rotary engine car. It’s too bad prices here are insane. You can’t touch one for under 20k. I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a toy. That’s the equivalent of three sick motorcycles.

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 16:10 Quote
Caddy I've had since 2010, it was my first car.
RX7 I got in 2014 and paid £1500

The price appreciation of these cars has really helped me justify spending so much money on them!!

Caddy is great for taking bikes in the back

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 21:11 Quote
Thanks for the feedback all!

dogboy1066 wrote:
What is the exact problem? Have you had an MRI to determine if everything is still where it should be?
I had a shoulder problem after a dislocation, and initially the Dr thought I could just do physio to get better, but it was deteriorating (got to the point sneezing would pop it out) and at some point the Glenoid Labrum had gotten torn and surgery was the only real option.
I don't get any issues with it now, I've probably got near full movement with it. I wish I had pushed for surgery earlier.
Unclear, still waiting on an ortho consult and MRI. Who knows how long that might be given our healthcare system...have heard people waiting over a year for one. May just pay for an MRI if that's the case. Glad to hear you had a good result!

tom666 wrote:
If I sold up and bought a Specialized Epic or a Trek ProCaliber as my only bike that probably would make things safer. I'd likely not attempt anything gnarly and it would keep me to XC and Gravel. A hardcore hardtail though is definitely no safer.
Makes sense, cheers! The problem is that all my local terrain is pretty steep and chunky. Not much in the way of flowy XC around here, it's all "BCXC". A true XC race whip would probably be a liability more than anything.

mtbman1980 wrote:
Circe wrote:
Sounds like you need to build up a gravel bike and get some of that road fitness while the shoulder recovers.

This is probably the best idea. If your like me and most in here you will pushing whatever bike your on regardless of travel.
Sigh...I think this is the right answer since I know I'll be an idiot on whatever I'm riding. Bummer after spending the whole summer on a road/gravel bike. On the upside, I have a custom Marinoni CX frame coming soon that will keep me occupied for a bit!

PSA - everyone may already know this, but Outside is (now?) limiting the # of active buy & sell ads for unpaid members to 20. Not unexpected but still a bummer.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 0:14 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
Caddy I've had since 2010, it was my first car.
RX7 I got in 2014 and paid £1500

The price appreciation of these cars has really helped me justify spending so much money on them!!

Caddy is great for taking bikes in the back

Damn. Even in 2014, RX7s here were going for more then that. We only received two years of production. They’re rare birds.

We can import cars 25 years and older, so it’s finally possible to bring more in.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 4:43 Quote
scotteh wrote:
PSA - everyone may already know this, but Outside is (now?) limiting the # of active buy & sell ads for unpaid members to 20. Not unexpected but still a bummer.
Ad quantity has been at about that level since they introduced PinkBike Plus years ago so not an Outside decision at all.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 7:03 Quote
Circe wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:
Caddy I've had since 2010, it was my first car.
RX7 I got in 2014 and paid £1500

The price appreciation of these cars has really helped me justify spending so much money on them!!

Caddy is great for taking bikes in the back

Damn. Even in 2014, RX7s here were going for more then that. We only received two years of production. They’re rare birds.

We can import cars 25 years and older, so it’s finally possible to bring more in.

25 year rule has caused even shitty mk4 golfs to shoot up in value.
I got in at the right time.

#freemarketeconomics Razz

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
We were talking about it 20 years ago - that any mildly sporty car from the 80's and 90's were going to be our generations hot rods. I guess the difference was, for people who grew up in the 70's and 80's, hot rods of the muscle car years stayed relatively affordable in the 90's.

I feel like paying $5,000 for a beat up old VW GTI, or a Rabbit, or a close to $10k for a clean AE86 Corolla is just ridiculous. Then again, I'm sure people of my parents generation thought paying $3,000 for old an Chevelle was ridiculous.

Another interesting thing is that sporty cars right now are really good from a performance standpoint, the problem is they have lost of a lot of the raw analog feeling. They are almost "too" good in a all-around daily driver sense. I think that's why people are drawn to 80's and 90's cars - still modern enough to be rust free, but old enough to still feel a bit raw, especially with chassis and motor mods.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 8:44 Quote
scotteh wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
Circe wrote:
Sounds like you need to build up a gravel bike and get some of that road fitness while the shoulder recovers.

This is probably the best idea. If your like me and most in here you will pushing whatever bike your on regardless of travel.
Sigh...I think this is the right answer since I know I'll be an idiot on whatever I'm riding. Bummer after spending the whole summer on a road/gravel bike. On the upside, I have a custom Marinoni CX frame coming soon that will keep me occupied for a bit!

PSA - everyone may already know this, but Outside is (now?) limiting the # of active buy & sell ads for unpaid members to 20. Not unexpected but still a bummer.

I would agree. I have a checkpoint on order and I'm stoked about it tbf

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
tom666 wrote:
scotteh wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:


This is probably the best idea. If your like me and most in here you will pushing whatever bike your on regardless of travel.
Sigh...I think this is the right answer since I know I'll be an idiot on whatever I'm riding. Bummer after spending the whole summer on a road/gravel bike. On the upside, I have a custom Marinoni CX frame coming soon that will keep me occupied for a bit!

PSA - everyone may already know this, but Outside is (now?) limiting the # of active buy & sell ads for unpaid members to 20. Not unexpected but still a bummer.

I would agree. I have a checkpoint on order and I'm stoked about it tbf

Checkpoint is so smooth that bike is rad. Put a dropper on it!

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 11:38 Quote
PHeller wrote:
We were talking about it 20 years ago - that any mildly sporty car from the 80's and 90's were going to be our generations hot rods. I guess the difference was, for people who grew up in the 70's and 80's, hot rods of the muscle car years stayed relatively affordable in the 90's.

I feel like paying $5,000 for a beat up old VW GTI, or a Rabbit, or a close to $10k for a clean AE86 Corolla is just ridiculous. Then again, I'm sure people of my parents generation thought paying $3,000 for old an Chevelle was ridiculous.

Another interesting thing is that sporty cars right now are really good from a performance standpoint, the problem is they have lost of a lot of the raw analog feeling. They are almost "too" good in a all-around daily driver sense. I think that's why people are drawn to 80's and 90's cars - still modern enough to be rust free, but old enough to still feel a bit raw, especially with chassis and motor mods.

classic cars have always been an asset class. As the interested and affluent demographics shift to 'younger' generations, so the prices fluctuate. stuff my dad likes from the 50's is now dropping in value as 80's and 90's stuff gets super expensive. R34 GTRs fetch over 500k, nice RX7's easily achieving over 100k.

Anyway - enough off topic from me.

back to talking about socialism and enduro bikes

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 11:40 Quote
I only rode the hardtail for a year as a trail bike. I still had the SJ evo as a 41lb park bike..

But I traveled and rode all the same stuff on the hardtail that I was riding on my 160mm Enduro rig. It really didnt slow me down or make me more timid. Only a handful of big road gap style moves that I had ridden on the big bike I passed on my hardtail.

It was absolutely way rougher and harder on my body. I would be more of the mindset modification to make your self safer than trying to under equip the bike to try and make that slow you down.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 11:56 Quote
Circe wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:
Caddy I've had since 2010, it was my first car.
RX7 I got in 2014 and paid £1500

The price appreciation of these cars has really helped me justify spending so much money on them!!

Caddy is great for taking bikes in the back

Damn. Even in 2014, RX7s here were going for more then that. We only received two years of production. They’re rare birds.

We can import cars 25 years and older, so it’s finally possible to bring more in.

You can't find a good condition low to moderate mileage last gen RX7 for less than $60-80k. And don't even think of a last gen Turbo Supra


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023625
Mobile Version of Website