Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 15:53 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
shirk-007 wrote:
Avoid the media. Go ride yer bikes.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 16:37 Quote
Well if Russia plays it's cards right and drags the Ukraine thing into WW3 that could help us out of this second guilded age. Blank Stare

OR it takes the turn of jumpstarting mega corporations becoming suedo governments like seen in many scifi franchises.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 16:57 Quote
One Taco Bell to rule them all.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 21:58 Quote
I'm actually thinking about leaving the bike industry altogether. Bike mechanics make around $20 an hour tops, and now that I own a house and see how much home improvement stuff costs, it would be nice to be making more like $30 an hour. We'll see what else is out there for someone like me.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 22:52 Quote
scotteh wrote:
sherbet wrote:
The way this industry is turning is really, really offputting. Feels like what BMX went through around a decade ago when money was injected.

Think I'm starting to lose my passion for bikes. Everything feels so media controlled, consumerist, and all about that hype.
+1. I don't know exactly what it is - being injured and unable to ride, getting older, becoming more aware of industry dynamics, nostalgia for the period when I really got into biking, etc. but I'm losing my passion as well. Two big contributors:

1) Much of the easily accessible articles (especially PB homepage) are either data mining, clickbait, a press release, thinly veiled advertising, or carefully curated instagram style content that feels hollow. Despite the mind blowing riding, a lot of content produced feels bleached and takes itself too seriously. Think Drop-In vs. PB Academy. I know which I would rather watch...

2) The current state of most manufacturer's lineups. Used to seem like everyone had a DJ bike, a slope/4X bike, trail bikes, DH bikes, and there were always wacky alu prototypes to drool over. Now everyone is focused on the latest greatest generic carbon 29" trail bike, which doesn't really get me fired up.

Bikes are undeniably better today than 10-15 years ago and I know at the end of the day it is a business, but it's boring when the same "design language" is used across a brand's entire lineup and you can't tell the difference in silhouette between a 5010 and a Megatower. Bring back the flavour!! Give me a Cove Shocker, Yeti 303, VP-Free, Sunday, Blur 4x, SX Supercross, BeOne Woodbumble, Morewoods, XXXX / Empire 5s, Balfas, BMWs, Dobermanns, Xprezos, M6s, etc. (barely scratching the surface with that list).

I acknowledge it has always been about profit, and there are still lots of cool brands making cool metal bikes, but the boutique stuff costs an arm and a leg. I miss when your garden variety (Norco, Kona, SC, Rocky Mountain, etc.) brands were doing that stuff too.

This is spot on, as I’ve got older and have seen behind the curtain a little bit you realise the bike biz is at least 90% bullshit.

For European riders the European Bike Project has a good Instagram account with loads of interesting stuff on it. He built up a Nicolai gravel bike recently and I hadn’t heard of half the component manufacturers.

For tinkerers, I enjoy the Rulzman (sp?) suspension tuner from Italy, don’t agree with everything he says but at least he’s out there doing his own thing.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 1:29 Quote
seraph wrote:
I'm actually thinking about leaving the bike industry altogether. Bike mechanics make around $20 an hour tops, and now that I own a house and see how much home improvement stuff costs, it would be nice to be making more like $30 an hour. We'll see what else is out there for someone like me.
'

Do it. Best decision I ever made..

I worked my ass off for a Shimano Rep position and didnt land it, then tried to buy a local shop out and got shut down, then tried to open a mobile repair gig and my box trailer that I had built into a mobile shop got crushed.. It was a sign that I had run my course in the industry.

Self employed now and I regret not leaving the industry 5 years ago. I netted more in 3 months doing my own thing 20-30 hours a week than I did in a year at the bike shop full time.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
seraph wrote:
'

I worked my ass off for a Shimano Rep position and didnt land it, then tried to buy a local shop out and got shut down, then tried to open a mobile repair gig and my box trailer that I had built into a mobile shop got crushed.. It was a sign that I had run my course in the industry.

Self employed now and I regret not leaving the industry 5 years ago. I netted more in 3 months doing my own thing 20-30 hours a week than I did in a year at the bike shop full time.

Stoked for you!

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 10:35 Quote
jtwickenden wrote:

For tinkerers, I enjoy the Rulzman (sp?) suspension tuner from Italy, don’t agree with everything he says but at least he’s out there doing his own thing.

I like following Rulezman as well. Dude is definitely a bit kooky but definitely passionate. He definitely does shill certain brands that will work with him and always claims them to be the best "Period. No question!" lol

I am debating sending a Dorado to him to get the "Rulezman Race Tune" but he will not give me the exact cost when I message him.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 10:36 Quote
seraph wrote:

Change is good.

I bet there are plenty of opportunities to earn good living working for yourself. Judging by $$$ I pay for various skilled tradesmen.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 17:56 Quote

Winning the weight game. tup

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 18:10 Quote
That's cool, Seraph.

Skilled trades. I considered becoming a PG&E lineman, HVAC tech, plumber... I've had many jobs: (bike shop of course), construction management, woodwork. Outdoorsy gigs along the way. Now I'm a freelance draftsman and ADU builder. Nextdoor accounts in Northern and Southern Marin keep me damn busy when I need quick cash.
I do miss having insurance though.

Thanks Fredro, staying on topic I see

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 18:29 Quote
Circe wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
seraph wrote:
'

Stoked for you!

Cheers! Been a good change for the most part. Only thing I regret is that I don't ride at all any more But been busy with other work/hobbies.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 19:29 Quote
I ride all the time, can you send me your skills? Why let them waste....?

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 19:37 Quote
fredro wrote:
I ride all the time, can you send me your skills? Why let them waste....?

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 20:12 Quote
zeeman wrote:
That's cool, Seraph.

Skilled trades. I considered becoming a PG&E lineman, HVAC tech, plumber... I've had many jobs: (bike shop of course), construction management, woodwork. Outdoorsy gigs along the way. Now I'm a freelance draftsman and ADU builder. Nextdoor accounts in Northern and Southern Marin keep me damn busy when I need quick cash.
I do miss having insurance though.

Thanks Fredro, staying on topic I see

I have been bantering with Seraph here for a while, but online bullshit aside he strikes me as a grounded dude with good attitude. I am sure he will land on his feet with just a few good decisions to make.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020841
Mobile Version of Website