Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
seraph wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
seraph wrote:

I appreciate the words, that actually means a lot to me. Especially since I just lost my job and am currently seeking gainful employment. It's tough with a resumé full of only bike shop gigs for the last 23-ish years.

Were you sales or wrench at the bike shop? I know a few wrenches that left the shop and went into other manufacturing or machine shop type jobs and have made a killing compared to the bike shop..

A sales guy left to go work as a warranty manager for a home builder and also does very well. If you were good at what you did at the shop, those skills should cross over.

That was an issue I had with some of the industry folk.. The "professional bike mechanics" thought that they were some super special breed of mechanic whom deserved to be held on a pedestal.. Bikes are simple machines.. Di2 and suspension rebuilds are next level, but for the most part, bikes are simple machines.

Hell we don't even do the fun artistic stuff like align frames, face head tubes and bottom brackets or straighten dropouts/forks anymore..

Classically trained bike wrench. Went to UBI in 1998. Facing, chasing, tapping, extracting broken bolts, etc... I'm mostly good at the old mechanical stuff. I love the simplicity of the AXS stuff but really XTR M952 is more my jam. I really enjoy filing, grinding, and other modifications to make things fit.

How should I market myself to machine shops? "I like bikes and I love to tinker" just makes me sound like a nerd. lol

The two that I knew left for manufacturing jobs.. One is building rifle parts and monitoring the machines and making sure tolerances are being held.. All transferable from a wrench job. The other one started at a company that does all sorts of large scale machining projects. He was pushing a broom for 2 months still making better than bike shop wage and then started shadowing under one of the machinists and he is now doing all the tooling setup for large CNC machines.

You're mechanical if you are old school bike mech. Just have to show them that you have critical thinking and mechanical understanding, not that you are just a parts monkey.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 10:35 Quote
Circe wrote:
Ya''ll want weird? Check this.

I especially enjoy the stove fuel storage.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 10:41 Quote
Pipe bomb frame?

Nah, I’ll pass

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 11:04 Quote
Concours de Machines is amazing. Love the detail in the builds.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
XT mech but SRAM spare.... guess it doesn't matter if you're using suicide shifters...

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 13:19 Quote
notsosikmik wrote:
jtwickenden wrote:

For tinkerers, I enjoy the Rulzman (sp?) suspension tuner from Italy, don’t agree with everything he says but at least he’s out there doing his own thing.

I like following Rulezman as well. Dude is definitely a bit kooky but definitely passionate. He definitely does shill certain brands that will work with him and always claims them to be the best "Period. No question!" lol

I am debating sending a Dorado to him to get the "Rulezman Race Tune" but he will not give me the exact cost when I message him.

Yeah I’m the same with this guy Rulezman, odd Italian for sure lol

Deffo worth a follow, as you never know what’s next

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 23:42 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
XT mech but SRAM spare.... guess it doesn't matter if you're using suicide shifters...

Friction shifter DGAF

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 16:43 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

Friction shifter DGAF

This is kind of true. If it's actually an old road shifter like the article says (and he didn't mean it's a modern shifter with old school form factor) then you'd likely run out of lever throw well before making it through your cassette. It seems like most older derailleurs have a higher cable ratio than wide-range 1x derailleurs from SRAM, Shimano, and Microshift, so while indexing isn't an issue, the total amount of cable pulled is.

...just in case anyone else in this thread is planning on connecting an old road shifter to a clutch derailleur....

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 18:49 Quote
I have moved or taken some off the stop on shifters like this to get to 12 speeds

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
crs-one wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

Friction shifter DGAF

This is kind of true. If it's actually an old road shifter like the article says (and he didn't mean it's a modern shifter with old school form factor) then you'd likely run out of lever throw well before making it through your cassette. It seems like most older derailleurs have a higher cable ratio than wide-range 1x derailleurs from SRAM, Shimano, and Microshift, so while indexing isn't an issue, the total amount of cable pulled is.

...just in case anyone else in this thread is planning on connecting an old road shifter to a clutch derailleur....

Wolftooth Tanpan can fix this.We had a dude on the bike discord hook up an old DA friction shifter to an 11 speed GX for shits and gigs.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 10:47 Quote
People do weird shit.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 11:24 Quote
Makes a lot of sense in a very specific context. Ancient bar end shifters mad easy to operate with the thickest gloves on, clutch is always nice to have, friction is great for a bike that gets locked up outside a lot because it shrugs off bent everything. Being able to blast through the entire cassette in one shift is great in traffic.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 14:19 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Makes a lot of sense in a very specific context. Ancient bar end shifters mad easy to operate with the thickest gloves on, clutch is always nice to have, friction is great for a bike that gets locked up outside a lot because it shrugs off bent everything. Being able to blast through the entire cassette in one shift is great in traffic.

I have a Microshift bar end shifter mounted to a PAUL thumb mount.
It moves a 10sp XT clutch mech real nice.
Pic:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KNddQdTQAogH9iFz7

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 17:39 Quote
seraph wrote:
I appreciate the words, that actually means a lot to me. Especially since I just lost my job and am currently seeking gainful employment. It's tough with a resumé full of only bike shop gigs for the last 23-ish years.

Wanna wrench on airplanes?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020533
Mobile Version of Website