Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Author Message
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 17:17 Quote
A few years back I went on a knife kick. Got a few folders and a Mora 3-knife set.

I'll be damned if I don't use those Moras for everything. Just this past weekend I went camping without a hatched and had to make some kindling. Took my thick blade Mora, wacked it through some wood.

Kind reminds me, I want some more knives for the kitchen...I wonder if Morakniv makes a cheap kitchen knife...

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 17:45 Quote
Circe wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Never trust a pocket. Knife always goes in bag.

If I'm carrying a bag, I just carry my Leatherman. Its like a knife but way more useful.

I recently discovered that they seem to have removed the carbon inlay from the Skeletool CX, so now I'm scared to send mine in for service in case it gets lost or can't be fixed.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 19:20 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Never trust a pocket. Knife always goes in bag.

So like you carry a man purse all day? I have worn a knife in my pocket everyday since I was out of high school. Maybe had my knife fall out of my pocket a dozen times. Only one I actually lost was actually while dirt jumping.. Was doing flips into a mulch jump and lost it for a few days.. I actually found it with a metal detector 2 days later.


Kershaw leeks and shallots are my goto. Have 2 of each.

I have tried to like Leatherman. I have a few stashed around but I find them so uncomfortable to use that 90% of the time I have my truck close by and I have a full tool set there.. I still throw a Leatherman in the backpack for trips, but honestly never enjoy using them.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
I recently lost my EDC (local agro tools brand, so it was cheap), wanted to purchase a nicer one, but made no sense since they are so easy to loose. So good value EDC and nice knives in the house and car.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 21:00 Quote


Loosing the weight game, but the ride on this thing is so freaking good

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 0:57 Quote
its-chris wrote:


Loosing the weight game, but the ride on this thing is so freaking good

Yes they are great but the weight is downside,mine was 40 lbs

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 1:35 Quote
PHeller wrote:
A few years back I went on a knife kick. Got a few folders and a Mora 3-knife set.

I'll be damned if I don't use those Moras for everything. Just this past weekend I went camping without a hatched and had to make some kindling. Took my thick blade Mora, wacked it through some wood.

Kind reminds me, I want some more knives for the kitchen...I wonder if Morakniv makes a cheap kitchen knife...

It likely isn't super cheap, but they do make kitchen knives.

Almost all my knives are Mora now. Fixed, non-folding is really important to me as an outdoors knife.
The most basic Moras are $6, which is a great price for high quality swedish steel that holds a good edge. Works well for something that will be abused while hiking. Have some nicer ones in the workshop for spoon-carving too.

If anyone cares (you probably do, you're all knife nerds) I have a box of some original Mora knives that are stamped with Erik Frost (the founder of Morakniv) from before he started the company. They're from ~1900, belonged to my girlfriend's great-grandfather.

Mod
Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 5:09 Quote
riish wrote:
PHeller wrote:
A few years back I went on a knife kick. Got a few folders and a Mora 3-knife set.

I'll be damned if I don't use those Moras for everything. Just this past weekend I went camping without a hatched and had to make some kindling. Took my thick blade Mora, wacked it through some wood.

Kind reminds me, I want some more knives for the kitchen...I wonder if Morakniv makes a cheap kitchen knife...

It likely isn't super cheap, but they do make kitchen knives.

Almost all my knives are Mora now. Fixed, non-folding is really important to me as an outdoors knife.
The most basic Moras are $6, which is a great price for high quality swedish steel that holds a good edge. Works well for something that will be abused while hiking. Have some nicer ones in the workshop for spoon-carving too.

If anyone cares (you probably do, you're all knife nerds) I have a box of some original Mora knives that are stamped with Erik Frost (the founder of Morakniv) from before he started the company. They're from ~1900, belonged to my girlfriend's great-grandfather.

as a swede and nerd, I appreciate this

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 6:42 Quote
Circe wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Spydie hole?!? On a BENCHMADE?!?

This war shall be worse than Sram v Shimano.

Benchmade looks better. That said, I have a hard time spending $100+ on something I'm going to drop in the dirt and forget somewhere. Bought a couple of Kershaw Skylines of Kershaw Blem Guy for cheap and never looked back

My everyday beater is a Benchmade Stryker that i have been carrying since 1998.
Can't stand the sheep's foot Griptilian the tips always break off.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 14:46 Quote
Specialized goes DTC

The PB article is weaksauce. Funny, since they're owned by the same people who own BRAIN. Link.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 15:11 Quote
That writing has been on the wall for awhile now... would really suck to be a spesh dealer right now I imagine.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 15:14 Quote
I think this is how most bike brands will be handled in the future. Shops are going to have to work a bit harder to make ends meet.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 16:43 Quote
I'd imagine they are still going to have those Spec shops be the "preferred" shops for warranty stuff kinda like how...Commencal USA (am I remembering the right company?)... is doing it now.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 16:56 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
I'd imagine they are still going to have those Spec shops be the "preferred" shops for warranty stuff kinda like how...Commencal USA (am I remembering the right company?)... is doing it now.
Its going to put shops in a really weird spot unless the big S starts compensating them for warranty work.

They didn’t when I was in a shop, not sure if that’s changed.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 18:59 Quote
Nobble wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
I'd imagine they are still going to have those Spec shops be the "preferred" shops for warranty stuff kinda like how...Commencal USA (am I remembering the right company?)... is doing it now.
Its going to put shops in a really weird spot unless the big S starts compensating them for warranty work.

They didn’t when I was in a shop, not sure if that’s changed.

Don’t shops typically get compensated for any warranty work they do for cost of goods plus labour rates? I thought that was fairly standard and not something that the margin of the bike/component was supposed to cover.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022133
Mobile Version of Website