Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 13, 2022 at 21:00 Quote
When i got a new bike recently, it came with those 370 LN hubs - stock they came with a very poor engagement so without thinking i bought the 54t ratchets chucked them in, the ride up the hill was nice but i didnt notice alot as i dont have any techy climbs.
As soon as i hit the first bumps with 54t installed i could tell i was getting more feedback - hit some faster harder stuff and it was a waaay different feel, To the point that i thought my rear end had max HSC and HSR(fast) - went back to the stock rachet and its really noticeable on the downs, much "free'er" feeling.

I think im going to split the difference and atleast try the 24/36.
im also a fan of quiet bikes/hubs so the stock 18t is lovely on the ears

I think the suspension would work almost chainless with the ochain and low engagement but would suck hard if you had to put in a crank lol

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 21:27 Quote
R-m-r please chime in.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 22:24 Quote
Most wc guys on 36t dt ratchets still I think? They run well enough eh

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 5:21 Quote
WC guys aren’t normal humans.

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 7:52 Quote
RMR is done* with pb he’s over at vital

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 17:53 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Most wc guys on 36t dt ratchets still I think? They run well enough eh
I think there's not many times on a gnarly DH track where you'd care about engagement over suspension performance, I'd be really surprised if they cared at all what was in their hubs as long as it wasn't breaking.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 5:35 Quote
notsosikmik wrote:
I continue to suck at the weight game but just got this in the mail and am really excited to try it. With the Onyx hubs my GG Megatrail has pretty noticeable pedal kickback. First thing though is deciding where to start with the elastomers. I have 4°/6°/9° to choose from. Should I start in the middle and see how it is or try as little as possible and go from there?

I could see this going the way of the Hopey steering dampener.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
dchill wrote:
I could see this going the way of the Hopey steering dampener.

I highly doubt it. After riding it yesterday I am very impressed and the improvement was immediately noticeable. I think I will be getting another one on the way so I don't have to switch it between bikes. Was doing a shuttle run so not a ton of pedaling but I did not find the added slop in the engagement to really be an issue. It feels damped and not harsh and clunky like when it exists at the hub. Also it is isolated to the crank itself and is not throughout the entire drivetrain so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't think you will see these at all over the local trails but I do think they will be very popular at Enduro/ DH races.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 12:04 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I really think the ochain is a bike/individual specific part. I have never noticed any feedback from my drivetrain into my feet.

Once I snapped a chain on my 951 Evo. When I was coasting back down to the bottom of the hill I did notice that when I would go to manual it did feel different. I definitely wasn't trying to do it on higher speed sections but not having a small amount of chain tension did feel different.

On my enduro and trail bike though I definitely appreciate extra engagement on the way up as there are so many techy punchy lung busting sections on my local trails.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 18:12 Quote
For the last month or so, I've been trying (hard) to get a fork, rear shock, and stem from Intend BC. I've been exchanging emails with owner, Cornelius Kapfinger, (BEST name EVER??), and he just won't send me an invoice. I've never had this much trouble handing someone my money. It's a pretty big purchase, well over $3k USD, and since day 1, I've been requesting an invoice to finalize my order and pay him. He keeps putting it off, and saying he'll get back to me, but then waits 4/5 days or so to reply, and again delay the process. I have my Megatower v2 on the way, and all my local bike parks have just opened for the season. He just keeps ignoring me....weird. I get that he's a small operation, and is probably busy, but just send an invoice. I can't order from the horrible website to begin with. I'm beginning to lose interest, and will probably just go with a brand new Fox 38 that is sitting in my buddy's shop. I'll also get a huge bro deal, and save a lot of money (more than half of what I would've spent with Intend), and it's in stock, no wait, no shipping fees, no foreign VAT/Tax, no extra charge for currency exchange either. I just wanted to try something different, and was willing to spend the hefty price tag for some exclusivity, but Cornelius is dropping the ball here....

First world problems rant over.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 18:18 Quote
I’m sure the cool people over at EXT would happily take your money and send you suspension.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 18:37 Quote
Spoke with them too. I want air shock and air fork though.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 18:42 Quote
38 it is then… lol

I read up on the service manual today because I just got one for my enduro. It looks like a royal PITA. I hate anything where red loctite gets involved.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 18:52 Quote
If that’s the biggest flaw of the 38, then I’m all in. I’ve only heard good things about 38s, and I’m getting it for cheap too. Now for that x2 rear…

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 19:12 Quote
The Intend stuff looks really cool, but if you’re having this much trouble purchasing it, imagine having an issue with it. You should just get a Storia in the meantime while you wait for their air offering! Promise you won’t be disappointed

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022266
Mobile Version of Website