Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 5:33 Quote
theweaz wrote:
fredro wrote:
If that’s the biggest flaw of the 38, then I’m all in. I’ve only heard good things about 38s, and I’m getting it for cheap too. Now for that x2 rear…

I’d avoid any x2 like the plague until they figure out the reliability, they seems to ingest air into the damper in a surprisingly short amount of time.

I agree stay away from the X2. Better off with a Float X if you are going Fox

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 7:52 Quote
The EXT air shock is out in the wild, release must be soon. Have spotted one locally.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 7:59 Quote
I was told late September for air EXT.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
fredro wrote:
For the last month or so, I've been trying (hard) to get a fork, rear shock, and stem from Intend BC. I've been exchanging emails with owner, Cornelius Kapfinger, (BEST name EVER??), and he just won't send me an invoice. I've never had this much trouble handing someone my money. It's a pretty big purchase, well over $3k USD, and since day 1, I've been requesting an invoice to finalize my order and pay him. He keeps putting it off, and saying he'll get back to me, but then waits 4/5 days or so to reply, and again delay the process. I have my Megatower v2 on the way, and all my local bike parks have just opened for the season. He just keeps ignoring me....weird. I get that he's a small operation, and is probably busy, but just send an invoice. I can't order from the horrible website to begin with. I'm beginning to lose interest, and will probably just go with a brand new Fox 38 that is sitting in my buddy's shop. I'll also get a huge bro deal, and save a lot of money (more than half of what I would've spent with Intend), and it's in stock, no wait, no shipping fees, no foreign VAT/Tax, no extra charge for currency exchange either. I just wanted to try something different, and was willing to spend the hefty price tag for some exclusivity, but Cornelius is dropping the ball here....

First world problems rant over.
He is good at responding and busy. I opted for a Lyrik instead this time last year and regret it. Hang in there if you can.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
I bought my buddy's 38, couldn't pass up the price. No regrets at all. I'm always building/trying new frames and parts, so maybe next build I'll probably go with Intend or EXT. I'd like to try something different from my usual trio of RS, Fox, DVO. Who knows....? Book

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 13:44 Quote
You ever try one of the aftermarket dampers such as fast ?

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
fredro wrote:
I bought my buddy's 38, couldn't pass up the price. No regrets at all. I'm always building/trying new frames and parts, so maybe next build I'll probably go with Intend or EXT. I'd like to try something different from my usual trio of RS, Fox, DVO. Who knows....? Book

My friend Matt from Meraki is really happy with his EXT combo on his spire…

But having tried the 38, you are not going to be disappointed… such a good fork

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:52 Quote
We got a DVO fork with Smashpot from the guys at DVO NZ, their forks are built to order so you get what you want right off the bat and its such a dreeeaamm to ride

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 17:10 Quote
Pondering coil upgrades for my incoming Megatower v2. Thought this would be a good place to fish for opinions.

Super Deluxe Ultimate coil or DHX2?

Why?

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 17:15 Quote
Storia and be done with it Razz

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
Dhx2 has the potential to feel better if you know what you are doing when turning dials, but its also easy to make it feel shitty if you don’t know how to adjust it. Unfortunately the current generation x2 air and coil are both about the same in terms of reliability, so it will most likely need to be sent to fox one or more times during the season. Also most shops and even some suspension service centers are having a hard time getting the vvc tooling for the current generation x2, so finding someone other than fox to service it will be challenging.

Super deluxe is a more simple shock with less adjustments, but in general feels pretty good with the stock internal high speed compression and rebound settings that you don’t get knobs for. These seem to be more durable and should last a whole season if not multiple seasons without needing a service.

You could also wait for the new super deluxe coil that allegedly has high speed compression and a hydraulic bottom out.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 18:07 Quote
theweaz wrote:

You could also wait for the new super deluxe coil that allegedly has high speed compression and a hydraulic bottom out.

i believe there is two versions of the coil coming, one budget, one high end.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 18:12 Quote
Thanks for the excellent answer. Sounds like I should perhaps just leave the stock super deluxe air shock in there until the new super deluxe is released.

The Storia sounds like an amazing shock, but I like the sound of readily available parts and service knowledge that fox and rockshox products come with. Also I can get a pretty decent discount on fox or rockshox, and nothing on that expensive ext shock.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 20:21 Quote
I've had nothing but good times over multiple seasons and multiple years with the Float X2. Not sure how people f*ck up their suspension so much...all you have to do is follow simple bracketing steps while tuning.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020079
Mobile Version of Website