Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: May 25, 2022 at 12:32 Quote
Circe wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:
Is Bosch the preferred motor of ebikers on this thread?

I have no real time on a Bosch e-moped, but I have had 3 Levos now with the Brose motors and one of my best friends has been the Shimano Ebike Demo driver for years.. So I have spent a decent amount of time on the Shimano motors and systems.

The Brose motors are substantially better in my mind and even buddy once off the clock would admit over a beer that Shimano was always one step behind the Brose setups in the Levos.

But I have no time on a Bosch system. So I am not answering your question.

Also I am at least a year removed from industry. Things may have shifted. Just when I left the shop, that was still my opinion on the motors.

I agree the Brose motors are great but they seem to break a ton of belts?

We sold a few hundred Levos while I was there and I never actually so a broken belt that rendered a bike totally inoperable. Lots of motors that made funky noise and other issues that were replaced easily and without much hassle from Special-Ed. It wasn't terrible of a swap either. I was in and out of the stand in less than a hour with motor swaps.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 12:59 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I have no real time on a Bosch e-moped, but I have had 3 Levos now with the Brose motors and one of my best friends has been the Shimano Ebike Demo driver for years.. So I have spent a decent amount of time on the Shimano motors and systems.

The Brose motors are substantially better in my mind and even buddy once off the clock would admit over a beer that Shimano was always one step behind the Brose setups in the Levos.

Also I am at least a year removed from industry. Things may have shifted. Just when I left the shop, that was still my opinion on the motors.

We sold a few hundred Levos while I was there and I never actually so a broken belt that rendered a bike totally inoperable. Lots of motors that made funky noise and other issues that were replaced easily and without much hassle from Special-Ed. It wasn't terrible of a swap either. I was in and out of the stand in less than a hour with motor swaps.

I had to pull the EP8 motor completely out of the Sight VLT to route a brake line and it was not bad at all. Could easily do a swap in less than an hour I would bet.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 14:04 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Almost every Levo we sold at Mike's Bikes in Sausalito came back for a motor replacement. I was there for three years and we did at least one motor swap a month.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
I have been running a Raleigh Commuter bike with a Bosch CX performance 28mph motor. I have put over 5000 miles on it and only had to replace the chain on the bike a few times Everything else related to the drive train is original.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
An interesting comparison of an Enduro bike equipped with Flight Attendant vs a XC/TR bike without.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/enduro-vs-downcountry-bike/

Reading between the lines, they felt like the Enduro bike was more comfortable and held more in reserve for gnarly terrain, but its heavy tires really slowed it down. That would seem to indicate that a big travel bike with a fast rolling tire setup and the ability to firm up the suspension on demand would likely be a great all-around bike. They also felt like the Flight Attendant was ill suited for a poppy playful riding style, and that a manual lockout or "firm switch" would likely be more appropriate for folks who want the "pop" of a short travel bike, but with the long travel reserves.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
fredro wrote:
In other news.... just got my Fox x2 in the mail, and of course the Kashima does NOT match my Fox 38. I know this has been overly discussed and beat to death, but come on Fox...just ONE shade of Kashima or just go with black. It's only aesthetics, but aesthetics are high on my priority list. Call me vain, no f*cks given.

Fox...get it right already. Must do better. Madder

My new float x is the same

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 17:03 Quote
seraph wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Circe wrote:

Almost every Levo we sold at Mike's Bikes in Sausalito came back for a motor replacement. I was there for three years and we did at least one motor swap a month.

I had a week that I did a Levo motor all 5 days I worked that week. lol

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 5:19 Quote
fredro wrote:
RMWB wrote:
I vote to keep any enduro e-bike content, if nothing else, for a lack of other content. E-MTBs share 95% of their parts with acoustic bikes.

This. Ebike hate must end! lol

E-bikes are lame. They don't belong on mountain biking trails. They are going to ruin access for everyone with a real bike. They only belong where motorized vehicles are allowed. Plus for the cost I'd rather buy a motorcycle.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 5:43 Quote
Cost isnt an excuse, you can buy dirt bikes for 3 or 4 grand too

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 5:53 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
Cost isnt an excuse, you can buy dirt bikes for 3 or 4 grand too

For cheap crap but a descent dual sport is the price of a nice e-bike, even less

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 6:56 Quote
I can honestly say that I don't think I'll ever buy another non pedal assist bike again unless it's a DH bike.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 7:04 Quote
dchill wrote:
fredro wrote:
RMWB wrote:
I vote to keep any enduro e-bike content, if nothing else, for a lack of other content. E-MTBs share 95% of their parts with acoustic bikes.

E-bikes are lame. They don't belong on mountain biking trails. They are going to ruin access for everyone with a real bike. They only belong where motorized vehicles are allowed. Plus for the cost I'd rather buy a motorcycle.
E-bikes just allow you to extend the distance of your ride and bring more enjoyment to what we all love doing, riding our bikes. It also allows people who have gotten older or have a disability health problems etc to get back out and enjoy the sport.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
rydelean wrote:
dchill wrote:
fredro wrote:

E-bikes just allow you to extend the distance of your ride and bring more enjoyment to what we all love doing, riding our bikes. It also allows people who have gotten older or have a disability health problems etc to get back out and enjoy the sport.

I totally agree with it being great for older people and people with disabilities but most of the people riding these things are under 55

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 7:36 Quote
Zero f*cks given. Bought my first Levo at 26 and I have ridden a regual acoustic bike on a trail ride less than half a dozen times in the 4 years since. I still have my hardtail and and I'll still have a resort type bike, but for trail rides, I'll probably never have a regular bike again. Around here all my favorite rides are immediate 2500-3500' climbs right out of the car. Having the ability to get multiple laps in and not have it be an all day epic adventure won me over real fast.

Dad is 63 and had had a Levo for 5 years. It's absolutely the best for him. He has done a few 80+ mile epic rides on his.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021260
Mobile Version of Website