Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
This is so weird. So BTI just got some Blackspire Badger carbon cranks in stock, with a whopping $693 MSRP, but if you go on Blackspire's site, they're on sale for $187... which is $160 below cost...
They just look like knockoff SRAM cranks with a 30mm spindle.

Good catch!

Yeah, they were 450 CAD in 2016 according to the PB article.
Comments below the article are a hoot going back and forth about the badger logo.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 11:40 Quote
It's shape really looks like old x01 cranks

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 12:55 Quote
Antithesis of weight savings... BUT as I am having issues rolling/folding my rear tire in heavy cornerning (with low 20s pressure), as I am a bigger dude (230lbs). I am considering cushcore, or another tire insert.

My question is, with a 2.6 Spec. Eliminator, could I use the Cushcore XC insert to save weight versus the pro? Or should I go with a heavier/sturdier sidewalled tire?

Also, if there an existing thread for this, lmk.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 13:06 Quote
zachinblack wrote:
Antithesis of weight savings... BUT as I am having issues rolling/folding my rear tire in heavy cornerning (with low 20s pressure), as I am a bigger dude (230lbs). I am considering cushcore, or another tire insert.

My question is, with a 2.6 Spec. Eliminator, could I use the Cushcore XC insert to save weight versus the pro? Or should I go with a heavier/sturdier sidewalled tire?

Welcome to the fat kid club.. I am Clydesdale as well and even with DH casings and Pro cushcore, I still can't run pressures under 25psi. You are a big rider, if you want to ride agressive, you are going to have to run higher pressures. Richie Rude is another big boy and he is running high 20s with pro inserts.

Learn to only load up tire sidewalls as much as necessary for given conditions.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 13:18 Quote
I think this is where a 2.5 is a better choice than a plus 2.6 right? Or is 2.5 just not a thing anymore?

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 13:26 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
I think this is where a 2.5 is a better choice than a plus 2.6 right? Or is 2.5 just not a thing anymore?

Agreed. My string bean 150 lbs 6-2 buddy rolls/folds 2.6s. An insert will help but I'd switch to a smaller casing.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 13:36 Quote
Yeah I think once things get larger than 2.5 the casing changes at least for Maxxis. The difference in tire profile is quite significant on the same size rim.

2.5 is my go to for tires good stability and volume. A buddy of mine likes the 2.3 tires as the knobs are smaller and tend to pierce and grip the soil better but he is also about 80lbs lighter than me though.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
I find anything bigger than 2.5 to be terrible for anything other than bike packing.

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 14:04 Quote
zachinblack wrote:

I use this exact set up in the rear as i couldn't get the t7 eliminator 2.3 at the moment, and didnt want to mount a t9 for 2-3 weeks of riding. Im 180lbs and use 22psi with that set up and its firm enough for me, Its pretty good with the cushcore xc in terms of avoiding flats/rim pings but it isnt going to help you with folding over at that weight/psi combo. I would be looking at DH casings.

if you have to use a "2.6", i liked the WTB trail boss in that size as a tough casing, as it measures a bit under 2.5 in reality, but a 2.4 DH casing tire is probably your best bet.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 14:07 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:

2.5/2.6 regular casings are fine. I ran the 2.6 Specialized tires just fine.. It's the 2.6+ or 6Fattie tires that are pretty much worthless for aggressive heavy riders.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
Ah I didn't know that Specialized made both styles of casings in 2.6. Most other brands I thought 2.6 was always plus while 2.5 is big DH but not Plus fatty style.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
I think Kenda do proper casings all the way up to 2.8

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 15:20 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Ah I didn't know that Specialized made both styles of casings in 2.6. Most other brands I thought 2.6 was always plus while 2.5 is big DH but not Plus fatty style.

yeah the newest specialized 2.6s are more like 2.5s

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 16:05 Quote
zachinblack wrote:

Try the Tannus insert, they’re like 150 grams and have worked very well for me. They sit right on the sidewall of the tire and don’t lie tight to the rim

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 8:49 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:

yeah the newest specialized 2.6s are more like 2.5s

Right, they seem to be the same size as my 2.5 DHF WT up front.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022818
Mobile Version of Website