Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 3:05 Quote
fredro wrote:
Help...

Ordering new dropper for medium sized pivot frame. I'm 5'7" (stop laughing).

Pivot's size guide says 150mm for small frames, 175mm for medium frames.

I have short legs and like to slam my post to the seat tube.

Should I order 150mm, or 170mm?

All my other bikes, previously built, I always use 150mm, no issues.

Discuss.

If it's a trail/enduro bike I'd go for the longest travel that fits

Measure your current saddle height (BB to seat rail)

Get the size chart up for the dropper(s) in consideration. I know OneUp have a very nice chart

Find the seat tube length of your frame.

Subtract the seat tube length (including the seat clamp) from your saddle height to the rail - that's the room you have to play with outside the frame

Check there's enough space out the top of the frame for the length you want

Then check there's enough insertion length in the frame.

OneUp have a shim system where if you buy the 180mm post you can add shims to reduce the post travel to 170 or 160mm. This is super useful because if the 180 is too long (either too long out the frame for 5'7 legs, or fine for legs but too long insertion length) you can space it down 10 or 20mm. Some other brands have this too.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 4:54 Quote
Interesting that the size chart is based off the seat rails and not the top of the saddle as there can be a huge variance in saddle heights. For example, WTB’s steel rail Volt is 10mm taller (from Center of rails to top of saddle) than the SDG Bel-Air V3 w/ Lux-Alloy rails.

Dropper post stack height definitely matters, but you can drop a considerable amount of stack height many times by just swapping your saddle.

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 5:42 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Interesting that the size chart is based off the seat rails and not the top of the saddle as there can be a huge variance in saddle heights. For example, WTB’s steel rail Volt is 10mm taller (from Center of rails to top of saddle) than the SDG Bel-Air V3 w/ Lux-Alloy rails.

Dropper post stack height definitely matters, but you can drop a considerable amount of stack height many times by just swapping your saddle.

It makes sense when you think about it.

If I already have a bike and my pillowy saddle is the one I like and my leg extension to the pedal is perfect then my saddle height from the rail to the BB will be the same no matter what. So, if I'm considering a new bike with a different insertion depth I already know the overall length I need to achieve with my seat post without having to know the individual saddle height.

Much easier for all.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 8:05 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:

Valid!

Been switching seats around and some have me raising/lowering post in frame by 10-12mm.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 15:25 Quote
Really looking hard at the SCOR 4060 LT GX. Its a pretty great value and seems to have excellent geo and ride quality. The literal ONE hangup I have is the freaking pressfit BB.

I am not trying to start a rant here (happy to engage if someone else wishes to) but should that be a dealbreaker for me? I HATE creaky shit and really don't wanna deal with constant BB maintenance. I am pretty hard on bikes in general (225lbs naked) and ride aggressively. My 2018 Rallon can attest to that.

Really looking for insight from those who have one, and also those who have opinions on PF30 BBs.

thanks

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 15:34 Quote
zachinblack wrote:
Really looking hard at the SCOR 4060 LT GX. Its a pretty great value and seems to have excellent geo and ride quality. The literal ONE hangup I have is the freaking pressfit BB.

I am not trying to start a rant here (happy to engage if someone else wishes to) but should that be a dealbreaker for me? I HATE creaky shit and really don't wanna deal with constant BB maintenance. I am pretty hard on bikes in general (225lbs naked) and ride aggressively. My 2018 Rallon can attest to that.

Really looking for insight from those who have one, and also those who have opinions on PF30 BBs.

thanks

I was equally concerned about PF BB, until my yeti. No issues whatsoever. As long as you get a quality BB and fit it properly, its unlikely you will have any issues.

I really dont think you get so many issues these days, on the assumption the BB is a good high quality one and the shell isnt messed up.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 15:35 Quote
Yeah i have a pressfit bb on a rocky and it has been problem free. Wouldnt worry about it.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 15:39 Quote
I had a creaky PF bb on a 2015 aluminum Specialized frame, but consensus seems to be they are quiet these days. My bigger beef with PF is that it's a pain in the ass if I want to take the bb out myself, versus simply turning a wrench for BSA.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 16:17 Quote
You will be fine, if a lot of thing were bad you could use it as a dealbreaker but that bike is just perfect

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 19:45 Quote
My knees are creaky.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 20:16 Quote
zachinblack wrote:

thanks

I've heard mixed things about that bike. Good reports and also bad. Hardware issues and premature wear on pivots. But all bikes have their issues and quirks of ownership..

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 20:45 Quote
^ true the more bikes ive owned the more ive seen that theyre like cars; in that certain makes/models/years become associated with known issues and if you want that car/bike, you just deal with the issues as they come or you get something else.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 20:46 Quote
I was super interested in the 4060 until I saw how short the chain stays are. I was shocked when I saw 432 on the geo chart

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 21:34 Quote
chunter wrote:
I was super interested in the 4060 until I saw how short the chain stays are. I was shocked when I saw 432 on the geo chart

Ya ewwy

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 23:01 Quote
430 stays? , This is the way.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.076091
Mobile Version of Website