Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 21:01 Quote
That’s fine, I believe that the ratio of front-center and rear-center matters more than the chainstay length number.

Having the same chainstay length of 426mm when the reach ranges from 415mm to 515mm means someone gets screwed over on the bike geometry. I test rode one and in my opinion the chainstays were far too short for a bike with that much reach. There’s a big difference between playful and “any rearward movement lifts the front tire”.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 8:27 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I’m not in the market at all, Infact I’m struggling to find the want to ride my mtb after getting into moto and moto trials but doesn’t stop me nerding out over mtbs.

But come on, that’s absurd. I mean I’ve got no real problem with expensive bikes that I feel may be worth the cost ( r&d, small production numbers and all that) but come on, no one here thinks £14k is acceptable?
Unless they don’t expect to sell any and makes their brand feel more premium

That's inflation my guy... it's 2023, everything is substantially more expensive than it was just a few years ago, and high-end bikes were never cheap.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 9:01 Quote
there an article a few months back that showed how bike prices 10 years ago compared against today, adjusted for inflation, and most of them were about the same.

The same people that complain about the high price of bikes these days and how it was better in the before times, were the people complaining about prices in the before times.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 9:33 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
there an article a few months back that showed how bike prices 10 years ago compared against today, adjusted for inflation, and most of them were about the same.

The same people that complain about the high price of bikes these days and how it was better in the before times, were the people complaining about prices in the before times.

Precisely. Whining about it doesn’t bring the price down. If it’s too expensive, don’t buy one and shut up

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 12:10 Quote
I think the people who are really grumpy about price keep insisting they must have carbon frames. Alu bikes are not more expensive in today's dollars than they were in the 90s and they are a million times better to ride. Mid-range alu from ibis, spec, tranistion, norco etc. is not gonna break the bank. If you're really poor, rock a hardtail or get a used bike. My first 'real' mtb was a steel rigid bike with crap tires, cantilever rim brakes and road bike geo, and was like like 650 late 80s $$ when houses were 100k and minium wage was like 7$. An amazing top end bike was 2500, but the shop owner had a bike worth 10k, which was just unheard of back then. The industry keeps offering silly expensive shit for those that want it, meanwhile you can ride a great bike with 2020 tech for pretty cheap, especially if you go shopping in the off months.

My biggest grip is how much more cassettes & chains are to accomodate 12spd. That was one piece of innovation I just didn't need. Cassettes have gone way up since 12spd, but all I really needed was a bigger big ring for slomo winching.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 12:30 Quote
I can't image spending 10k on a mountain bike, mostly because i'm pretty broke,
But i just spent NZ$1800/US$1200 on building up a second hand 2014 Banshee Spitfire and it does everything I need it to. Same with my primary riding buddies, they're on 26" pre-2014 enduro bikes and we still have heaps of fun.

Feels funny riding faster/shredding harder than some people on $10k+ bikes
No judgement, i'm glad more people are riding bikes, but it sucks that; to save that money, you need a decent amount of mechanical know-how

It's diminishing returns after a point. I feel like the threshold for entry/cost for a decent enough second hand mountain bike is not super high (it's a lot of money for sure, but for a sport like this it's not bad. In New Zealand it's about NZ$2k or so, even less if you find a good deal. If you're just in it for fun and aren't serious about competing, you just don't need to spend $10k+.
(Go for it if you have the resources, but I just don't think you need to)

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 12:50 Quote
The best are middle aged roadies carrying 15lb around their gut dropping 12k on a lamo road bike to save a couple of pounds

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 12:56 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
I think the people who are really grumpy about price keep insisting they must have carbon frames. Alu bikes are not more expensive in today's dollars than they were in the 90s and they are a million times better to ride. Mid-range alu from ibis, spec, tranistion, norco etc. is not gonna break the bank. If you're really poor, rock a hardtail or get a used bike. My first 'real' mtb was a steel rigid bike with crap tires, cantilever rim brakes and road bike geo, and was like like 650 late 80s $$ when houses were 100k and minium wage was like 7$. An amazing top end bike was 2500, but the shop owner had a bike worth 10k, which was just unheard of back then. The industry keeps offering silly expensive shit for those that want it, meanwhile you can ride a great bike with 2020 tech for pretty cheap, especially if you go shopping in the off months.

My biggest grip is how much more cassettes & chains are to accomodate 12spd. That was one piece of innovation I just didn't need. Cassettes have gone way up since 12spd, but all I really needed was a bigger big ring for slomo winching.

The amount of nonsense packed in one post here is gold.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 12:58 Quote
Oooo here we gooo!

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:15 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

The amount of nonsense packed in one post here is gold.

The best are middle aged roadies carrying 15lb around their gut dropping 12k on a lamo road bike to save a couple of pounds

@badbadleroybrown Shots fired

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:19 Quote
A sworks enduro was 9750 in 2020, today it is 15k. I doubt there is that much inflation in the last 3 years

Edit: welp this post is useless, specialized randomly sent me to the canadian page for 2023 model

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:23 Quote
You can get excellent shifting Deore 11/12sp cassettes, chain, shifter and derailleur for less than a high end Cassette. The only thing you are sacrificing is weight.

I was just looking at the current Norco optic as an option for my Wife and I think a similar spec to her Sight from 2017 is only a few hundred dollars more but those components are probably better than what was on her original bike.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:31 Quote

@badbadleroybrown Shots fired[/Quote]

If that was supposed to be aimed at me, I'm just flattered that he thinks I'm only carrying 15lbs on my gut lol

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:34 Quote

Thats a fair point, I don't feel like I need 12 gears as long as the range is wide enough.

One of my bikes has Deore wide range 11 speed (11-51t) and the other GX Eagle, I can't say I notice any advantage from the extra gear of Eagle especially considering the GX drivetrain would be more than double the cost to replace (yes I know Deore is more equivalent to NX than GX).

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025050
Mobile Version of Website