Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:37 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
I think the people who are really grumpy about price keep insisting they must have carbon frames. Alu bikes are not more expensive in today's dollars than they were in the 90s and they are a million times better to ride. Mid-range alu from ibis, spec, tranistion, norco etc. is not gonna break the bank. If you're really poor, rock a hardtail or get a used bike. My first 'real' mtb was a steel rigid bike with crap tires, cantilever rim brakes and road bike geo, and was like like 650 late 80s $$ when houses were 100k and minium wage was like 7$. An amazing top end bike was 2500, but the shop owner had a bike worth 10k, which was just unheard of back then. The industry keeps offering silly expensive shit for those that want it, meanwhile you can ride a great bike with 2020 tech for pretty cheap, especially if you go shopping in the off months.

My biggest grip is how much more cassettes & chains are to accomodate 12spd. That was one piece of innovation I just didn't need. Cassettes have gone way up since 12spd, but all I really needed was a bigger big ring for slomo winching.

The amount of nonsense packed in one post here is gold.

You're actively ruining the internet. I'm physically tired thinking about your lame attitude, or maybe it's just the age..

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:44 Quote
Oh damn, you got him.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:45 Quote
The best are middle aged roadies carrying 15lb around their gut dropping 12k on a lamo road bike to save a couple of pounds

My favourite recent variation on this is the 25-40yo demographic with super aero integrated bikes and bar bags strapped to em.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 13:50 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
The best are middle aged roadies carrying 15lb around their gut dropping 12k on a lamo road bike to save a couple of pounds

@badbadleroybrown Shots fired

If that was supposed to be aimed at me, I'm just flattered that he thinks I'm only carrying 15lbs on my gut lol [/Quote]

lol I don't think it was aimed at you, I was just trying to be funny and stir the pot Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 14:25 Quote
My pricing beef is when the top end builds are only offered on carbon frames. I want alu frame and Gucci build damnit!

EDIT: Actually, I want alu frame and components, XT drivetrain, and blingy suspension (and maybe wheels / brakes).

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 15:23 Quote
scotteh wrote:
My pricing beef is when the top end builds are only offered on carbon frames. I want alu frame and Gucci build damnit!

EDIT: Actually, I want alu frame and components, XT drivetrain, and blingy suspension (and maybe wheels / brakes).

Transition has your back.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 15:24 Quote
You're actively ruining the internet. I'm physically tired thinking about your lame attitude, or maybe it's just the age..

lol

Bitter poors really do make for the absolute best comedy. Imagine choosing to be bitter about what someone else rides... and then questioning the "attitude" of others.

lol

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 15:26 Quote
scotteh wrote:

My build preference is alu frame, mid range drivetrain, better suspension and brakes.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 15:29 Quote
scotteh wrote:

My ideal off the shelf builds would be carbon frames and high spec suspension with GX/XT level bits for the rest of the built... with either excellent wheels or wheels that are shitty enough they aren't really adding to the price. Wheels, frames, and suspension are really the only kit that I actively notice while riding.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 15:30 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
scotteh wrote:

Except aren’t their alu frames ~11lbs? I think my Knolly is around 9lbs, and that’s already chonky.

Might be wrong, but I associate their SBG gen 1 alu frames with being absolute pigs.

Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 15:44 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

@badbadleroybrown Shots fired

If that was supposed to be aimed at me, I'm just flattered that he thinks I'm only carrying 15lbs on my gut lol [/Quote]

lololol

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 16:53 Quote
scotteh wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
scotteh wrote:

Except aren’t their alu frames ~11lbs? I think my Knolly is around 9lbs, and that’s already chonky.

Might be wrong, but I associate their SBG gen 1 alu frames with being absolute pigs.

You never said light lol

They are pig frames, but the specs are pretty solid.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 20:23 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

If that was supposed to be aimed at me, I'm just flattered that he thinks I'm only carrying 15lbs on my gut lol

Team dadbod.. Cracked 230 on the scale the other day.. Firmly Clydesdale class now.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 20:57 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

If that was supposed to be aimed at me, I'm just flattered that he thinks I'm only carrying 15lbs on my gut lol

Team dadbod.. Cracked 230 on the scale the other day.. Firmly Clydesdale class now.

NAEC ebike class tho!

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 21:13 Quote
nubbs wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

NAEC ebike class tho!

Just 1 practice day. Wasn't man enough to stick around for racedays. lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024473
Mobile Version of Website