What bike for Aussie MTB'ing?

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
What bike for Aussie MTB'ing?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 4:48 Quote
Hi All

Moving to Sydney from the UK in a few months time and looking for some info on the type of riding that Sydney has to offer?

I currently have a full sus (Felt Redemption 1) bike but thinking of getting as 29er hard tail as I have heard the trails there are more sand and mud rather than the rocks and roots we get here

Feedback much appreciated

Thanks

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 21:49 Quote
well some thing along the lines of what you have got would be good. depends on the sort of riding you want to do, If its xc you ride. The trends are the 29'er both dually and hardtail but then again the Giant trance and anthem are popular bikes. But any thing that can ride a variety of trails on.

Posted: Feb 12, 2012 at 19:58 Quote
Hi mtbzaffa. I found this site: http://www.trailflix.com.au/tfx_new/ It's not amazing, but seems to outline most of what's available to ride around Sydney.

I have the same question about what kind of bike though. I've been riding a lot of the trails in the Vancouver, Squamish and Whistler areas... steep gnarly technical stuff, XC trails and a little park. I've been riding a Giant Reign X0 for most of that, and before we knew we were moving to Sydney I was thinking about buying a Santa cruz nomad or Specialized Enduro. I wanted something that would 'handle the jandal' on the down hills and be a semi decent climber on the uphills.

For Sydney, I'm pretty certain the above bikes would be too much bike for the trails - but does anyone here on PB ride anything like them in Sydney though? I was thinking about dropping down to a Stumpjumer FSR comp EVO or a Santa Cruz Blur LT... something in that kinda range anyway.

Would love to hear from anyone who rides in Sydney, knows the trails well and who could let me know about what bike would suit. I wanna buy something before we leave as prices are a little cheaper over here.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 12, 2012 at 23:31 Quote
Try the forums on www.rotorburn.com.au

Quite informative.

I'm from Vancouver and almost only use those now.

Cheers

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2012 at 2:30 Quote
What you have sounds fine mate, while i haven't ridden the sydney trails first hand I know they have pretty good variety in the area, so something versatile around the 5 or 6" dual should be golden.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009530
Mobile Version of Website