22 inch wheels?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
22 inch wheels?
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 1, 2012 at 8:55 Quote
I hope it does catch on, then I may trade in the cap. It's a pretty niche market though and getting 24 stuff is hard enough as it is even though it's popular now. You never know, I might open the first 22 and 24 specific shop next year...

Posted: Nov 1, 2012 at 13:55 Quote
Caezar wrote:
There are tons . Just the industry didn't think it was worth the investment . It may still catch on though .

The mtbmx seen took a long time to get popular but its now mane stream. 24 bmx is also really popular but the biggest complaint is the wheel hits your ass when pulling tricks .

24 and 26 mtb guys deal and know how to avoid. BMX guys looking for a bigger bike have issues but the 22" is perfect

I have heard that S&M have already sold over 100 of the Holmes 22 kit in just a couple of months.

So yeah, I think momentum is already there. One issue is that younger guys who have never ridden 24 or 26 don't really get it. I kinda feel like, it's after you ride 24 and 26 and realize how fast and smooth they are, then you go back to 20" is when you start to see how 20" can be improved. Remember, 20" although we all love it , is still just an accident of history. It was picked as a default for children's bikes. In the 1970s there were Graco bmx bikes that had 22" on the front and 20" in the rear. Of course, everything about 20" bikes evolved since the 70s, the quality improved immensely, frames got longer, etc--but the only thing that wasn't adjusted was the wheel size.....

Posted: Nov 1, 2012 at 21:42 Quote
Has anyone heard if there is other companies going to jump on board and build some 22" frames and forks?
Any more batches coming out from Indust?

-Shiny

Posted: Nov 8, 2012 at 14:55 Quote
Shiny wrote:
Has anyone heard if there is other companies going to jump on board and build some 22" frames and forks?
Any more batches coming out from Indust?

-Shiny

Yes, InDust has some new ones. You can also get a custom frame from STANDARD. They have made several rad ones.

Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 0:13 Quote
just had a thought.... what about bar height? i'm guessing something lower than all the massive bars on the market? 6-7" rise or something? if i had the money i'd already have the holmes kit on it's way to me, i'm so curious about 22" now

Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 7:58 Quote
grumpysteve wrote:
just had a thought.... what about bar height? i'm guessing something lower than all the massive bars on the market? 6-7" rise or something? if i had the money i'd already have the holmes kit on it's way to me, i'm so curious about 22" now

Yeah man ! Well, get this: The fork is inch taller axle to crown. This means your grips will be an inch higher. So you can have the feel of 9"s while running some classic 8"s. !

You're in the UK, you could look at Faction Bikes. They may be able to hook up a test ride or something.

Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 8:08 Quote
http://www.factionbikeco.com/22inch-homepage/

Posted: Nov 11, 2012 at 17:05 Quote
The 22s came out years ago but I think it was the wrong time. Now, there are tonnes of trail riders who don't race or care to. The scene has lost it's hard core edge where it's us or them. BMXers hated on skaters AND freestylers and that just went in a bad circle. Then BMX lost it's hold when trails started popping up and there was a whole lot of kids that got into "BMX" but not the race aspect at all. Now it's all BMX despite the fact there is no MX left. If you just want to ride trails and flow the 22" wheels would be fantastic. I just wish they were out 15 years ago.

Not that they would be world changing, mind. Just a nice bit smoother without the nut rubbing.

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 at 5:11 Quote
The new Faction 22" kits are out. But that price 700£ or 800€Cry
I'd rather buy a S&M Holmes 22 kit for 700$ from albes, even with shipping & import taxes it would be about the same.

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 at 12:57 Quote
I've been staring at the Holmes kit now for weeks. Pulling the trigger on this deal is getting close . I would most likely get it when dans has is 15% off days so I would save 150$ off the total price . I did a few runs on the build plans . The fact is comes with forks wheels tires and tubs is pretty cool. The rims are gaining popularity over here in their 20" form. The hubs I would run them but swap them out as soon as I could for female hubs and lighter db spokes. I all ready have bars stems BB's head sets . I would need a crank set and have thought of the WTP sets that they have on sale . Anything basically 48 spline tubular . I would love to find other sources for tires. Not because of price . But just in-case I am not a fan of their street/dirt combo tire as I love all the BMX tires available it really blows you only have 1 choice

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 at 17:12 Quote
Caezar wrote:
I've been staring at the Holmes kit now for weeks. Pulling the trigger on this deal is getting close . I would most likely get it when dans has is 15% off days so I would save 150$ off the total price . I did a few runs on the build plans . The fact is comes with forks wheels tires and tubs is pretty cool. The rims are gaining popularity over here in their 20" form. The hubs I would run them but swap them out as soon as I could for female hubs and lighter db spokes. I all ready have bars stems BB's head sets . I would need a crank set and have thought of the WTP sets that they have on sale . Anything basically 48 spline tubular . I would love to find other sources for tires. Not because of price . But just in-case I am not a fan of their street/dirt combo tire as I love all the BMX tires available it really blows you only have 1 choice

Faction has their new foldable 22" tire out. Not sure if anyone has them in the USA yet though. Some guys on bmxmuseum have ordered them.

http://www.factionbikeco.com/new-factionbikeco-store-opens-soon/

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=374461&p=18

Posted: Jul 9, 2017 at 8:03 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
22"s blowing up!

S&M Speedball 22"s! Cool

https://www.danscomp.com/products/444094/S_and_M_Speedball_Tire.html

Absolutley love my 22"

If anyone wants to bounce between DJ's and BMX and are more comfortable on 26" the 22" makes the transition back to bmx bikes almost nonexistent. I really have a tough time when riding choosing between the two.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015027
Mobile Version of Website