$1000 in to the bike

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2012 at 9:17 Quote
Bike in question: 2009 Brodie Hellion (stock)

Type of riding: dirt trails, all mountain stuff, drop offs, jumps. I come from mx background and tend to ride similar conditions. I enjoy the nice xc runs through the woods but I definitely rag on the bike when I see the right sections

The brodie has 2 years riding on it, no mods.

$1000 to sink in to the bike this winter. Im asking you guys: Am i better off purchasing a new dual suspension ride and keeping it stock, or sink $1000 in to this brodie and make it even better?

What modifications would you throw at it? From what i have read over the last while, the hellion crank is weakest link..avid juicy 3s are decent but i know they could be better..

I appreciate your help!

Posted: Feb 11, 2012 at 12:19 Quote
This is how bikes work:

frame
suspension
wheels
drivetrain
brakes
everything else

The stuff at the top of the list is the most expensive to replace, but also has the biggest impact on the overall riding experience. Stuff like seat, handle bars, grips, stem, TIRES = basic bike fit, so make sure that the bike is set-up right for you!

If you like the frame and want to keep riding it, then figure out the weak points in the rest of that parts list and spend that $1000 getting the Brodie to where you want it. $1000 doesn't go very far in the world of dual-suspension frames or complete bikes... if it was my bike & money I would put new parts on the Brodie and spend the summer researching & test riding FS bikes to figure out what's out there that works for your riding and your wallet for next year.

Lose the DirtJumper fork and get a burly air fork (rides better and is lighter), get lighter wheels that are still strong enough for your riding, and spend the rest on stuff like a new chain, grips, tires, stickers lol. If you keep the Brodie strong but lose a few pounds of weight it will work better on the XC stuff and still be good fun on the jumps and drops. If the brakes are weak then bleed them, get bigger rotors and new metallic pads, and maybe you don't need to replace them just yet.

Sell the old parts and get some money back, or keep them and build another bike later on from stuff you upgrade on the Brodie.

Good luck man that's a tough decision you've got! tup

Posted: Feb 11, 2012 at 12:36 Quote
Thanks vr. I agree with the fork. Never thought of new wheels though..I guess i figured the SX44's were light enough for the riding i do? Or maybe im out to lunch

great motor btw. 1.8T guy here tup

Posted: Feb 11, 2012 at 15:17 Quote
Crispytail wrote:
great motor btw. 1.8T guy here tup

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg504/scaled.php?server=504&filename=drive.gif&res=mediumhaha right on!

I don't know much about those wheels specifically... those rims are only 480 grams so probably hard to go much lighter without compromising durability in the rough stuff. Maybe look at a new fork, new crankset, tweak the brakes if you don't like them or get some new ones. Should leave you some money for a seat or handle bars if you need to adjust how the bike fits you.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2012 at 20:10 Quote
I'm going to offer a different approach just to give you something to think about.

If it were me i'd spend as little money as possible on your current ride if you are not 100% in love with it or if it doesn't do what you want it to do. I agree in buying the parts to make it fit you better (handlebars, grips, stem, seat) but in regards to buying new suspension and wheels that money will go away fast.

I'd save up that $1000.00 to something larger and then go and buy what you want. Parts on a brand new bike will be cheaper that way then if you are buying them brand new separately most of the time.

Upgrading can become very expensive as i've learned....

Just some food for thought, good luck on your decision. Also i had a 1.8T a couple of years ago, fun engine....

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2012 at 20:16 Quote
just keep an eye on the buy/sell/craigslist .
can get some sick deals.
my buddy just got an old very un-used v10 for 700.00

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2012 at 22:21 Quote
If you need to spend $1000 to improve your bike then you have the wrong bike. Sell it, add the $1000 and buy something that suits you in the buy/sell. That said...

I really had a lot of fun on a budget hardtail that I "improved" constantly over several years. Rode it up and down the North Shore, Whistler, and the Seven Summits. Changed this, then changed that. Got an x9 instead of x7. Fancier brakes that stopped just as good. At the end though I realized I had been foolish. Use your money to buy a nice condition used Pike U-turn fork and pocket the rest for a future frame swap once you figure what style you want to stay with.

only ever had a GLI but it was fun!

Posted: Feb 12, 2012 at 15:06 Quote
I dont know that I necessarily have to put $1000 in to the bike, but it's definately my limit to what i think would be fair.

Buying a full suss would mean selling the brodie and adding an additional $1500 to get anything worth it (new)

im finding that there are so many manufacturers and styles of bike out there that I really don't know a good deal when I see it. I'd love to add a top of the line fork to the Brodie, as i know the rest of the bike is quite strong as far as hardtails go. (x9 derailer, avid juicy 3s, great bars and grips.

Besides the fork, im looking at crank. just replacing it all to something proper. (subjective, i know).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as far as fork/crank set goes. enlighten me. I'm trying to learn as i go

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2012 at 20:32 Quote
I'm not sure what area you are in. I'm in the Vancouver area and I just can't convince myself to buy a new mountain bike ever again. There are so many fantastic deals on used bikes around here and the first time you crash ( I am assuming that all good riders crash often) a new bike you lose a ton off the purchase price. By a full suspension if that interests you, ride it a few months. If it's not quite right, sell it and move to something else.

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2012 at 20:34 Quote
yep there are lots of good deals to be had on used bikes....

Posted: Feb 17, 2012 at 22:31 Quote
I say new fork and build new wheels. Wheel building is fun

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007262
Mobile Version of Website