The 20" street thread

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
The 20" street thread
Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Honestly good, only way a standard can take off is if multiple companies adopt it. WTP is probably stoked.
i dunno if itll take off though. a lot of bmx dudes seem to be against it.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
Most bmx people are against progress they hated plastic pegs but now everyone and their momma ride plastic pegs just hans it to a pro here and there and suddenly everyone will be schlobbing their knobs

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
jespinal wrote:
Most bmx people are against progress they hated plastic pegs but now everyone and their momma ride plastic pegs just hans it to a pro here and there and suddenly everyone will be schlobbing their knobs

yeah that is true. but look at directors. best fork, stopped being made because odyssey kept getting complaints about how it looked and a lot of people avoided them.

also steel is real.

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 20:58 Quote
https://www.freenightbmx.com/

crazy new freecoaster hub coming out. zero slack going forwards, endless slack going backwards.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 at 7:52 Quote
core-macneil-rider wrote:

crazy new freecoaster hub coming out. zero slack going forwards, endless slack going backwards.
There's a dude in barcelona testing for them, I've talked to him and he's keen to let me try

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 at 11:09 Quote
jespinal wrote:

There's a dude in barcelona testing for them, I've talked to him and he's keen to let me try
i was talking to one of the owners on youtube. gonna hit him up if some shit lines up and see if he'll let me buy one early to try it out

wont be abusing it much but i do blow up hubs pretty bad and i do happen to know about alot of the obscure coasters and unreleased ones. shit like the SYN coaster hubs. chosen. the sesshin coaster that was never released. ridden nankai;s loads of khe types.

if not ill just get one when they release world wide next year.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 20:56 Quote
so putting together a new build. so far its looking like itll be

macniel parliament frame 20.75
macniel blazer 3rd gen forks(temporary)
macniel top notch stem or a shadow front load
S&M fu bars 9 inch rise
either snafu cranks or some macniel connects
plastics temporarily but open to any large flat pedals thatll be strong enough(mtb pedal recommendations accepted) thin profile preferred
odyssey MDS
odyssey evolver 2's
odyssey monolever
random post from a complete subrosa back in 09 and a duo rogue status seat, black with the white gun print.

g sport birdcage times 2
g sport marmoset front hub
g sport ratchet rear.

gonna swap the forks down the line. need something with a longer steer tube for a gyro. also wanted something that isnt dented so bad it prevents the wheel from sitting centered in the fork.

rear rim needs to be replaced at some point, dented in one spot really bad. probably gonna strip both rims to raw since theyre red right now. might eventually do the hubs as well.

have some limited edition fluro orange evo 2's gonna strip those unless i find someone willing to trade me something equivalent in black or something.

gonna strip the lever and sprocket

snafu;s are blue, connects are black. so leave the connects black or paint the snafu;s black. frame is black. stem is purple, gonna leave that alone till it gets scratched up then strip that.

thinking eclat forks maybe r25's from odyssey. aiming for that 32 ounce mark and a life time warranty with at least 170mm steer.

current blazers need to be painted.

anyways, anybody know if oven cleaner would f*ck up the brass nipples? tryin to be lazy and not unlace the rim and just strip them built up.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
jespinal wrote:

i was talking to one of the owners on youtube. gonna hit him up if some shit lines up and see if he'll let me buy one early to try it out

wont be abusing it much but i do blow up hubs pretty bad and i do happen to know about alot of the obscure coasters and unreleased ones. shit like the SYN coaster hubs. chosen. the sesshin coaster that was never released. ridden nankai;s loads of khe types.

I just got a hold of one of these today! Going to try and build it up this weekend. Will come back and confirm if it works like they are advertising.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 22:02 Quote
thomasmore wrote:
jespinal wrote:

I just got a hold of one of these today! Going to try and build it up this weekend. Will come back and confirm if it works like they are advertising.
DUUUUUDE! cant wait to hear your initial impressions. and find out if the claims are true.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
thomasmore wrote:

DUUUUUDE! cant wait to hear your initial impressions. and find out if the claims are true.

Wheels built just need to do the final true and get it on my bike. Might get a chance to try it tomorrow but if not it'll definitely be ridden on Monday. I'll probably post a clip on my Instagram @_tcmore whenever I get to ride it but I'll come back here to let you know if it's the real deal!
Hope it doesn't let me down like the blind did when I pre ordered it before seeing any real impressions on the hub.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 14:08 Quote
thomasmore wrote:
thomasmore wrote:

Wheels built just need to do the final true and get it on my bike. Might get a chance to try it tomorrow but if not it'll definitely be ridden on Monday. I'll probably post a clip on my Instagram @_tcmore whenever I get to ride it but I'll come back here to let you know if it's the real deal!
Hope it doesn't let me down like the blind did when I pre ordered it before seeing any real impressions on the hub.
yeah i heard the blind hub was a total flop.

g coaster was basically a flop as well. still trying to find one of the prototypes in the wild. a bunch of them are welded shut but meh that can be dealt with.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 18:51 Quote
thomasmore wrote:

g coaster was basically a flop as well. still trying to find one of the prototypes in the wild. a bunch of them are welded shut but meh that can be dealt with.

Honestly the only coaster I haven't had troubles with aside from most hub guards not working with it since the spacing between the frame and the spokes in a lot smaller than most is the z coaster. I've had zero problems with mine aside from the occasional pawl skip but that's to be expected from this style hub.

Hopefully this planetary coaster can be the start of some more freecoaster innovation.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 22:58 Quote
thomasmore wrote:
thomasmore wrote:

Honestly the only coaster I haven't had troubles with aside from most hub guards not working with it since the spacing between the frame and the spokes in a lot smaller than most is the z coaster. I've had zero problems with mine aside from the occasional pawl skip but that's to be expected from this style hub.

Hopefully this planetary coaster can be the start of some more freecoaster innovation.
yeah i know what you mean. even the better khe clone types have issues still. angular contact bushing does help but only so much.

z coaster i keep hearing good things about but ive also seen some pretty terrible and below par quality control from profile and its pricey. they sent my buddy a brand new mini cassette all titanium parts that was full of metal shavings.

g coaster was supposedly flawless in its function but too hard to mass produce. not sure how much i buy that but thats part of why i want to find a proto type one. also wouldnt mind finding one of the old sesshin coasters/apparently the chosen hub its based around/ was part of the development for.

im guessing if its legit and works well itll probably replace the khe coaster for after market hubs and khe clones will end up the cheap coasters. any time something new and good comes along in coasters it gets picked up. nankai hubs got replaced by khe coasters. sealed bearings were better then loose ball. though the 14mm nankai bamboo still has some advantages. takes more maintenance but that maintenance keeps it rolling longer without needing to drop more cash on bearings. and theyre smooth as shit for a loose ball hub. theres a reason the 3/8ths versions are still pretty popular among flatlanders. .

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 5:50 Quote
I am guessing the planetary coaster is a pain in the arse to do maintenance on, that type of thing that if you mess a littlw bit throws your whole thing off

You know that kind of things that bmxers hate

Also I cant stress how good the federeal v3 is

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I am guessing the planetary coaster is a pain in the arse to do maintenance on, that type of thing that if you mess a littlw bit throws your whole thing off

You know that kind of things that bmxers hate

Also I cant stress how good the federeal v3 is
maybe coulda also be pretty simple. from what it sounded like it seems the overly complicated thing was probably also going to kill the g coaster. i mean if its that hard to produce then i doubt working on it was easy. and that sorta killed the ratchet hub as well. thought that was also just a terrible design.

yeah the federal coasters are good. but only as good as any other khe clone. z coaster has less maintenance from what ive been seeing and hearing. nankai hubs are smoother.

but we shall see. heres hoping its not an overly complicated design. thatd be a pain in the ass.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024794
Mobile Version of Website