The 20" street thread
Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
I have messaged the dude who's testing for them in barcelona for a test ride

I just have to bring my ass there

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
jespinal wrote:

probably worth it though. awesome street get to test a new coaster. loads of other non riding things to do there.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 0:20 Quote
I live 40min away from barceloma I just despise the city

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 at 22:31 Quote
core-macneil-rider wrote:
jespinal wrote:
Most bmx people are against progress they hated plastic pegs but now everyone and their momma ride plastic pegs just hans it to a pro here and there and suddenly everyone will be schlobbing their knobs

yeah that is true. but look at directors. best fork, stopped being made because odyssey kept getting complaints about how it looked and a lot of people avoided them.

also steel is real.

Nah they f*ckin sucked lol, I snapped mine in half and they didn’t even replace them when they’re supposed to have the “best” warranties.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 4:58 Quote
jespinal wrote:

probably worth it though. awesome street get to test a new coaster. loads of other non riding things to do there.

So I have the wheel built and have done very minimal testing on it. It honestly works as advertised with some minor details about how it can engage while going fakie. I don't want to give my seal of approval on the hub just yet as it needs to be ridden more to make sure it has some durability to it.

That is all I am going to say now about it but it is promising if it holds up that's for sure.

Will update you guys after I get some more sessions on it. tup

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
bamfbmx wrote:
jespinal wrote:
Most bmx people are against progress they hated plastic pegs but now everyone and their momma ride plastic pegs just hans it to a pro here and there and suddenly everyone will be schlobbing their knobs

yeah that is true. but look at directors. best fork, stopped being made because odyssey kept getting complaints about how it looked and a lot of people avoided them.

also steel is real.

Nah they f*ckin sucked lol, I snapped mine in half and they didn’t even replace them when they’re supposed to have the “best” warranties.
they didnt rip the headtube off your frame first? i mean i know someone who broke a bunch of pairs of directors. all of his got warrantied. that said odyssey has some pretty terrible distributors...so not sure but could it have been a distro issue?

they were stronger then quite a few other things in their weight range. macniel blazers and DK r/t forks were quite a bit weaker, blazers werent bad forks though. alot of the other lighter forks had a decent bit of weight on them, like 2-8 ounces.

anything can be broken. i could hand you an old S&M heavy as f*ck and build it with the most tank parts ever and someone out there can break the thing and do it easily. someone i used to ride with basically hand to use primo hollowbites and had to replace them every year or two cause even those wouldnt hold up and those cranks were f*cking bullet proof. powerbites while heavier were also weaker and didnt hold up either. device cranks snapped within a few months. profiles broken like they were made of paper. the old 6 pound sunday frames, the ones considered bomb proof broken.

if you want to see a really bad odyssey product look at all their braking products besides their levers. the g sport ratchet hub. any of their attempts at wedge stems. their first two generations of cranks. evo 2's suck. diatech hombre fiesta's are better brakes. flexy compared to other options. no bearings. the arms have a bad habbit of rubbing against each other. not the lowest profile. like demo had their brakes with the sealed bearing pivots. you could get fly's which while more expensive were lighter stiffer lower profile. now they rereleased those and updated them so evo 2.5 is probably gonna be just as bad. and for the same weight the shadow brakes seem waaay nicer.

their fancy ass gyros. ive had 4 of them. well more actually but after the 4th one pulled apart mid use of my rear brake i said f*ck that and got a snafu. the odyssey gyros are really only good for flatland. the original evolver wasnt even that great, revenge industries had them beat with their old beast of a brake and not like either was low profile.

the vandero 2 hub wasnt that great. i know a tiny guy who didnt ride that hard that murked one. the v3 rear cassette hubs werent even that great. the wtp supreme first gen hubs were way better hubs and that design is known to cause hub shells to crack or break if they arent strong enough. yet i havent actually ever seen a wtp q lite hub do that.

forks and rims are two things they know how to do well though. if you dented your directors they will obviously break. but like i dislike alot of odyssey shit because its often needlessly complicated and ends up being more headache. for how expensive their rims are its funny that oem rims will have better quality chrome plating. wish alex rims still made the 7000 series feather lights. but like i mean, i bent a pair of 40 ounce wtp helium forks that were post weld heat treated with nothing more then a funbox. i literally shattered a sprocket. i blew up a joytech style clone rear hub made by macniel so bad that even a rebuild didnt stop it from wanting to be a fixie. bent like 3 sets of bars in a summer as well.

and all that said ive also seen one of the shittest distro's for odyssey sunday and g sport fix a f*ck up real quick when they sent out a frame that had an unwelded rear wishbone. 2nd wave frame. they ended up giving the person an ian schwartz in a colorway that hadnt even been released yet and made a couple employees drive it out that same day. and this isnt a distro with any good rep.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
thomasmore wrote:
jespinal wrote:

So I have the wheel built and have done very minimal testing on it. It honestly works as advertised with some minor details about how it can engage while going fakie. I don't want to give my seal of approval on the hub just yet as it needs to be ridden more to make sure it has some durability to it.

That is all I am going to say now about it but it is promising if it holds up that's for sure.

sick. btw howd you get ahold of yours? asked the company if theyd sell you one early? or did you get the hook up?

i have a friend with some family in isreal so may try getting one early through them. its lighter than a z coaster with all ti bits supposedly, and should be a good bit cheaper. and once i get it in hand i can figure out if i can modify any of the ti bits for older hubs to work in it. you can do that with the ezra coaster,seen one at like 13 . something ounces. used an old shadow ti axle. and i believe they modified a ti driver for another hub to get a ti driver for it as well. should be able to get this freenight hub to 12-13 ounces with titanium bits. if the durability is there should be able to have a coaster thats basically the same weight as a profile mini but better suited for pegs.

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
thomasmore wrote:

sick. btw howd you get ahold of yours? asked the company if theyd sell you one early? or did you get the hook up?

i have a friend with some family in isreal so may try getting one early through them. its lighter than a z coaster with all ti bits supposedly, and should be a good bit cheaper. and once i get it in hand i can figure out if i can modify any of the ti bits for older hubs to work in it. you can do that with the ezra coaster,seen one at like 13 . something ounces. used an old shadow ti axle. and i believe they modified a ti driver for another hub to get a ti driver for it as well. should be able to get this freenight hub to 12-13 ounces with titanium bits. if the durability is there should be able to have a coaster thats basically the same weight as a profile mini but better suited for pegs.

Hey man,

I just messaged him through the website and he was telling me that they were going to send one to a shop in the GTA to show people and try out. He originally told me he would just let me know when it makes it out to them so I can go see it and what not but I was persistent with saying I wouldn't get to properly test the hub doing it that way and I am a big fan of trying these new coaster designs. Told him about getting the disaster that was the blind the day it came out and getting the z coaster which to this day is the best coaster I have ever had durability wise.

He eventually came around and said I could buy a prototype and here we are lol. Can't wait for consistent good weather so I can properly test this thing. I've only got a couple hours on it and so far so good.

I don't think it's going to be customizable internally. It is a pretty unique simple design on the inside. Can't say too much more than that though.

Posted: Apr 1, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
thomasmore wrote:
thomasmore wrote:

Hey man,

I just messaged him through the website and he was telling me that they were going to send one to a shop in the GTA to show people and try out. He originally told me he would just let me know when it makes it out to them so I can go see it and what not but I was persistent with saying I wouldn't get to properly test the hub doing it that way and I am a big fan of trying these new coaster designs. Told him about getting the disaster that was the blind the day it came out and getting the z coaster which to this day is the best coaster I have ever had durability wise.

He eventually came around and said I could buy a prototype and here we are lol. Can't wait for consistent good weather so I can properly test this thing. I've only got a couple hours on it and so far so good.

I don't think it's going to be customizable internally. It is a pretty unique simple design on the inside. Can't say too much more than that though.

yeah i was basically going to try that myself and if that didnt work it is available for purchase in isreal since they already have the patent approved there from what i gather.

also where there is a will there is a way to get ti bits jammed into a hub. would just be a matter of cloning the driver and axle. might not be able to find anything stock but i can always visit a few people i know and buy some titanium stock and have stuff milled/cnced and such. as nice as the z coaster is the price still kinda makes it hard to justify. and i still have concerns if they develop the profile hub wobble other profile hubs are known to get.

any idea which shop has one? need to go order some new bars anyways so may as well go take a peek in person.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
thomasmore wrote:

Hey man,

yeah i was basically going to try that myself and if that didnt work it is available for purchase in isreal since they already have the patent approved there from what i gather.

also where there is a will there is a way to get ti bits jammed into a hub. would just be a matter of cloning the driver and axle. might not be able to find anything stock but i can always visit a few people i know and buy some titanium stock and have stuff milled/cnced and such. as nice as the z coaster is the price still kinda makes it hard to justify. and i still have concerns if they develop the profile hub wobble other profile hubs are known to get.

any idea which shop has one? need to go order some new bars anyways so may as well go take a peek in person.

I'm not sure if they ever did send one to a shop. They said I was the only one in Canada with one so far.
Been on my z coaster a couple years now and it hasn't developed any play that I've noticed.
I only bought it because at the time I worked at a shop that would let me buy stuff at cost so it didn't hurt the wallet as much.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
yeah z coasters arent very wallet friendly. need to find out in the madera version can have the cam ring swapped out cause ive heard it only comes with one slack option.

hoping the planetary coaster turns out to be dialed. its light and im gonna guess its a good bit cheaper. and yeah ive heard profile sorted the issue but idk theyve had some pretty hit or miss QC. someone i know got an all ti mini hub and they sent it out with metal shavings inside the hub. i doubt its easy to still do american made manufacturing these days even at their prices.

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
yeah z coasters arent very wallet friendly. need to find out in the madera version can have the cam ring swapped out cause ive heard it only comes with one slack option.

hoping the planetary coaster turns out to be dialed. its light and im gonna guess its a good bit cheaper. and yeah ive heard profile sorted the issue but idk theyve had some pretty hit or miss QC. someone i know got an all ti mini hub and they sent it out with metal shavings inside the hub. i doubt its easy to still do american made manufacturing these days even at their prices.

So far the Planetary coaster is working great. It occasionally skips like all these pawl style coasters do and takes a bit to get used to how it works though.

If it continues to work well and not blow up on me I might not go back to my Z Coaster.

I've heard you can't switch the cam ring out but if its if its the same mechanism and you are able to repair the hub if it breaks then I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to switch the cam ring. Only way it doesn't work is if the slack ring isn't removable I guess.

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 14:05 Quote
super excited, building up a new BMX for myself, it's been about 6 years since I stopped riding altogether and about 8 since I stopped riding regularly. I'm out of the loop though, what companies are putting out quality stuff now a days? I have my frame and rear wheel already but still need virtually everything else,

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 17:18 Quote
haro-rider-13 wrote:
super excited, building up a new BMX for myself, it's been about 6 years since I stopped riding altogether and about 8 since I stopped riding regularly. I'm out of the loop though, what companies are putting out quality stuff now a days? I have my frame and rear wheel already but still need virtually everything else,

The fork should definitely be Odyssey. The R25 if you do plan on doing more technical riding and the R32 if you want a more all around fork.

Can't really go wrong with any of Odyssey's parts with their warranty.

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 23:38 Quote
thomasmore wrote:
haro-rider-13 wrote:

The fork should definitely be Odyssey. The R25 if you do plan on doing more technical riding and the R32 if you want a more all around fork.

Can't really go wrong with any of Odyssey's parts with their warranty.

Didn't everyone just disagree with this a few posts back? On the ody thing.

All bmx parts are the same now price for price.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036799
Mobile Version of Website