The 20" street thread
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 7:20 Quote
thomasmore wrote:
core-macneil-rider wrote:
jespinal wrote:
Yo fam freenight just posted a video explaining their f*ckery

I really want one now
deffs one of the more interesting coasters. Up there with the prototype seshin coaster a few of the weird obscure Japanese coasters and the g coaster.

Free night one seems to be a lot less complicated as far as manufacturing though.

If it rolls as smooth as a nankai and is as reliable as a decent khe style coaster it’ll be worth it there alone. I don’t think they’ll end up as smooth as the nankai but I’m hoping.

So I have been riding the hub on and off for about 3 months now and so far I have not had any issues with it.

There is an initial learning curve to riding with it because of how the design works.

The faster you are going when you get into a fakie the less likely you are to have the hub engage.

Sometimes if you do a hop to fakie on a steep bank or quarter, your body naturally will somewhat make you pedal slightly forward which will begin to engage the hub causing it not able to get into the freecoaster mode. If you do a quick back pedal you are all clear to coast.

If you are doing a decently fast fakie you basically have unlimited slack until you are going forward again. You can basically be going fakie while pedalling forward and it does not engage.

Being able to have cassette like engagement all the time when going forward is really nice for tech lines where you need to be able to get that little crank in. That is where it beats a hub like the z coaster because with the z coaster you have to disengage the hub and then you have that slack regardless of if you are going fakie or not.

I currently have three coasters that I switch between from time to time. The wethepeople helix v2, the z coaster and the planetary coaster from freenight. I would say this last month I have been exclusively riding the planetary coaster and am really enjoying it.

Anyways there is my take on the coaster. If anyone in Ontario is from the GTA and wants to give it a test hit me up on instagram @_tcmore and maybe we can get a session in. I live on the Scarborough/Pickering border.

Beer

Do you ever ride with a cassette? How much is it changing from cassette to the Freenight?

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
thomasmore wrote:

Sounds dialed.

Everything new has a learning curve heard the same about the z coaster.

Weight price and feature wise it seems to set a new bar.

Might have to see if we can set up a ride, would love to give it a try but pretty sure it’ll be my next hub regardless.

You ever ride port union?

Port Union park is my local. Usually there at least once a week.

I've got nothing bad to say about the z coaster either though. I've never had a problem with it aside from finding guards that work half decent with it since the hub spacing is a little weird.

I used to hit that park pretty regularly, sweet little set up.

Z coaster seems dialed as well, but the free night is lighter and cheaper.

Well if you wanna hit it up for old time sake let me know. My instagram is in the post above, I would suggest messaging me there over here as I constantly forget to check back in here :p

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
thomasmore wrote:
deffs one of the more interesting coasters. Up there with the prototype seshin coaster a few of the weird obscure Japanese coasters and the g coaster.

Free night one seems to be a lot less complicated as far as manufacturing though.

If it rolls as smooth as a nankai and is as reliable as a decent khe style coaster it’ll be worth it there alone. I don’t think they’ll end up as smooth as the nankai but I’m hoping.

So I have been riding the hub on and off for about 3 months now and so far I have not had any issues with it.

There is an initial learning curve to riding with it because of how the design works.

The faster you are going when you get into a fakie the less likely you are to have the hub engage.

Sometimes if you do a hop to fakie on a steep bank or quarter, your body naturally will somewhat make you pedal slightly forward which will begin to engage the hub causing it not able to get into the freecoaster mode. If you do a quick back pedal you are all clear to coast.

If you are doing a decently fast fakie you basically have unlimited slack until you are going forward again. You can basically be going fakie while pedalling forward and it does not engage.

Being able to have cassette like engagement all the time when going forward is really nice for tech lines where you need to be able to get that little crank in. That is where it beats a hub like the z coaster because with the z coaster you have to disengage the hub and then you have that slack regardless of if you are going fakie or not.

I currently have three coasters that I switch between from time to time. The wethepeople helix v2, the z coaster and the planetary coaster from freenight. I would say this last month I have been exclusively riding the planetary coaster and am really enjoying it.

Anyways there is my take on the coaster. If anyone in Ontario is from the GTA and wants to give it a test hit me up on instagram @_tcmore and maybe we can get a session in. I live on the Scarborough/Pickering border.

Beer

Do you ever ride with a cassette? How much is it changing from cassette to the Freenight?

I sometimes change my z coaster over to a cassette and ride it.

I would say the freenight is much closer to a freecoaster than it is to a cassette. The only reason is it like a cassette is because it has cassette like engagement while going forward.

I don't think you can use pedal pressure for fakie tricks and I don't think I would want to try as it might mess up the hub/pawls.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
thomasmore wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
thomasmore wrote:

Beer

I would say the freenight is much closer to a freecoaster than it is to a cassette. The only reason is it like a cassette is because it has cassette like engagement while going forward.

I don't think you can use pedal pressure for fakie tricks and I don't think I would want to try as it might mess up the hub/pawls.
Haven't posted in here in a minute. Next time we ride I godda try that hub. That Brant Moore has made a wack of videos testing that hub out. Even made one comparing/ testing it to a z coaster and a demolition hub! I would recommend watching those before you spend the money or if your in this neck of the woods try it out on Thomas bike. Seems like there is a massive learning curve to this hub but once you figure it out your golden!

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 16:35 Quote
brenteaton wrote:
thomasmore wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:

Haven't posted in here in a minute. Next time we ride I godda try that hub. That Brant Moore has made a wack of videos testing that hub out. Even made one comparing/ testing it to a z coaster and a demolition hub! I would recommend watching those before you spend the money or if your in this neck of the woods try it out on Thomas bike. Seems like there is a massive learning curve to this hub but once you figure it out your golden!

Did you not give it a spin when we rode last?

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019957
Mobile Version of Website