Advice for DH bike for big guy...

PB Forum :: Downhill
Advice for DH bike for big guy...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2012 at 17:06 Quote
I'm getting more into aggressive riding, and am now wanting to get a full on DH sled. I'm 7 feet, 260 lbs, and currently have a Ventana El Cap 29er 130mm FS for XC (like XXXL), Cannondale Moto 160mm FS for commuting and AM, and Kona Coilair 2011 for more aggressive stuff.

As can be imagined, I've broken like 6 frames already, and that is with no drops over like 2-3 feet (so far, but trying to progress). Anyway, pretty much my only options I've found are: SWD 216 steel frame in custom from Hank Matheson, Ventana El Cuervo custom frame (if they still do that one in custom), and Lenz PBJ 29er 180 mm DH (stock XXL). Waltworks also does really sweet stuff, but he has almost a yr waitlist right now.

So, what is my best bet? I'm kinda back n forth on 29er vs not (especially because of my size), or even 650b or 69er.

Any other tips from big guys out there on geo, tube lengths, or even any other viable options would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 at 9:27 Quote
Well. As long as you don't mention anymore that your thinking of going with a 29ee I'll help you Smile

Seeing as how your as big as that jaws guy in the James bond movies, your going to want an extra stout frame set and tough wheels.

Some of THE strongest DH frames are made by cove. I live my shocker even though I am selling it for a lighter frame. The strongest wheels I have ever ridden are the industry 9 DH wheelset. Not cheap, but cheaper than ficking up two sets of cheaper wheels

Good luck

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 at 16:39 Quote
Aye, don't go 29 or it ain't a full on DH sled. Seems like your concern is fit more so than frame strength, with proper suspension tuning any good DH frame will handle your weight - I'd look for a DH bike that comes in an XL, and go from there with bars or a stem if you need more cockpit. I really like the Canfield Jedi in XL, even then it should be relatively small for you and you'll toss it around like a toy. Let us know what you decide on.

Posted: Feb 23, 2012 at 17:06 Quote
Strength of a frame isn't going to be an issue like you might expect. You are certainly a big dude, theres no arguing that, I'm around 100 pounds less than you but i can garuntee I put aframe through much greater stresses than you do, simply due to rider ability (not taking a shot at you, just making an important point here). If you take a 200 pound weight and drop it 2-3 feet and then take a 100 pound weight and drop it 15-20, which do you think will create a larger force? Take me out of the equation and stick in someone finishing top ten on the world cup circuit, they thrash the shit out of their frames and they don't replace the frame after every run.

Find something from a well known company that you like and that fits and go with it. If you do manage to destroy the poor thing then it will be replaced through warranty if you purchased it new.

Posted: Feb 24, 2012 at 19:12 Quote
An interesting video:

carbon perhaps?

ww.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2012 at 19:24 Quote
Just a question but are you bottoming your shock and fork at all? Maybe check that you're not bottoming out all the time creating a sudden 'shock' through the frame. +1 for a shocker as well.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007319
Mobile Version of Website