Trek session owners club

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Trek session owners club
Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 12:08 Quote
One other thing to check on the 75mm stroke session, is that nothing crashes together at either of the ABP pivots on the rear axle. It's quite unlikely you will see any issues here but worth checking none the less, and easy to overlook.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
One other thing to check on the 75mm stroke session, is that nothing crashes together at either of the ABP pivots on the rear axle. It's quite unlikely you will see any issues here but worth checking none the less, and easy to overlook.

That shouldn't be a problem. As the bike goes through its travel the angle of the chainstay to seatstay at the axle gets bigger. I was playing with this a few weeks ago when I was doing a clean and with the chainstay and seatstay attached at the ABP point and the chainstay attached at the main pivot but the seatstay not attached to the rocker you can flip the seatstay backward to be almost parallel to the chainstay before there is contact.

So, should be good there haha. I feel like it really is the "wanting the bike to have 200mm of travel" reason to limit it to 72.5 or something of a non issue like that.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 15:32 Quote
Awesome, I appreciate you checking and giving me that run down!

The frame comes today, so I'll be able to test it and see what I get. I'll be running an EXT Arma. Will test it with the Van that it comes with as well for comparison sake.

Thanks again guys, will let you know if I can get away the ~211mm of travel the 75 should provide!

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 8:34 Quote
I have a 2016 Session 8. I'm going to upgrade the rear rotor to a 203. It currently has a 180 rotor but uses the Shimano SM-MA F203P/S adapter for a 180. I cannot for the life of me find the brake mount specs for this bike, or what adapter to use for a 203 rear. Anyone set this up before, what did you use?

Posted: Jul 23, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
hi i have a 2019 Trek session 9.9 29er and i was wondering if anyone knows if you can mullet it

Posted: Jul 24, 2022 at 3:10 Quote
connor-currie wrote:
hi i have a 2019 Trek session 9.9 29er and i was wondering if anyone knows if you can mullet it

Reece Wilson did it too.

Posted: Jul 25, 2022 at 8:28 Quote
erikober wrote:
I have a 2016 Session 8. I'm going to upgrade the rear rotor to a 203. It currently has a 180 rotor but uses the Shimano SM-MA F203P/S adapter for a 180. I cannot for the life of me find the brake mount specs for this bike, or what adapter to use for a 203 rear. Anyone set this up before, what did you use?

That is a 23mm adaptor. So someone put a 23mm adaptor when they should have used a 20mm. Not the end of the world but if I had to guess you could look at your brake pads and I would bet the very top of the pads hasn't been touched as they are above the rotor.

That year should be a 160mm. So you would need a 43mm adaptor to go to 203.

I am making a couple of assumptions above but that is what makes sense given what you've shared. If that is all correct then you would need Shimano R203P/S Adaptor like the one I've linked below.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/collections/disc-brake-adaptors/products/shimano-r203p-s-disc-brake-adaptor-for-203mm-rotor-74mm-caliper-51mm-frame

Posted: Jul 25, 2022 at 8:31 Quote
christiaan wrote:
connor-currie wrote:

Reece Wilson did it too.

You "can" mullet any bike. It does change the geometry on it as it was not designed for it. There are things you can do to try and fix those things like an angled headset and such but it won't be designed for it. You can also search this thread and look at those who have done it. Here's the most recent one I saw from April:

"I've litterally just set my 2019 9.9 29" Session up with mixed wheels. I put the chip in high position and took it for a ride, I definitely noticed it's slacker now and once hooked up my bottom bracket on a slow obstacle, but felt pretty good - it sure turned better than before on tight corners. I've got a Works Components 1.5 degree angle headset that arrived yesterday but think they sent me the incorrect top cup so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll report back the difference that it makes to the BB height with and without steepening the fork" - @nickw686

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 21:04 Quote
On the 2022 Session shock stroke discussion:

I tried my Fox Float X2 in 250x75 and it fits without issue, not even close to having any clearance issues at full compression. Yay for an extra 6.8mm of suspension travel. Smile
This is with a 27.5 rear wheel.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 8:10 Quote
rallyimprezive wrote:
On the 2022 Session shock stroke discussion:

I tried my Fox Float X2 in 250x75 and it fits without issue, not even close to having any clearance issues at full compression. Yay for an extra 6.8mm of suspension travel. Smile
This is with a 27.5 rear wheel.

Just note that you will be riding it in a way that it was not designed. At full compression your BB will be lower than designed, your head angle will become slacker than designed, and wheelbase shorter than designed. All of these items will be very minimal, but still something to be aware of. I also would be that Trek might be hesitant to warranty any part of the frame if the wrong shock length is installed on it.

If you did want to get the shock to the right stroke you can install a shim on the shock that reduces the stroke by 2.5mm. Not sure about all shocks but on the Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil I had to get a full rebuild done since the shim goes on the shaft itself. I would imagine other brands, coil/air, will be similar but different.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 14:31 Quote
This is about the most noteworthy test I could have done with the 250x75:

50/50 on a 35 foot gap.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 5:04 Quote
I’m 5ft 9.5inches and I’m right on the border between sizes R1 and R2 2022 Session. Can’t decide on sizing. I ride an S3 Specialized Enduro which doesn’t feel like a small bike by any stretch of the imagination, and it has the same wheelbase as the R1 except the reach on the enduro is 15mm more than R1.

Can anyone around 5ft9 to 5ft10 comment on sizing and what they use the 2022 session for to help out here?

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
trifecta wrote:
I’m 5ft 9.5inches and I’m right on the border between sizes R1 and R2 2022 Session. Can’t decide on sizing. I ride an S3 Specialized Enduro which doesn’t feel like a small bike by any stretch of the imagination, and it has the same wheelbase as the R1 except the reach on the enduro is 15mm more than R1.

Can anyone around 5ft9 to 5ft10 comment on sizing and what they use the 2022 session for to help out here?

Im just shy of 5'10" and got an R2. It is perfect. The reach may be 465mm but it does NOT feel that big once your on it.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 9:34 Quote
rallyimprezive wrote:
trifecta wrote:

Im just shy of 5'10" and got an R2. It is perfect. The reach may be 465mm but it does NOT feel that big once your on it.

Thanks! So R2 if I was racing sounds perfect but I’m going to use it for Whistler and the Alps so it’s going to be my fun bike rather than race bike. Need making sure I don’t buy something that’s sized perfect as a plough machine but not for air time or tight tech, R2 still best choice do you think?

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
trifecta wrote:
rallyimprezive wrote:
trifecta wrote:

Thanks! So R2 if I was racing sounds perfect but I’m going to use it for Whistler and the Alps so it’s going to be my fun bike rather than race bike. Need making sure I don’t buy something that’s sized perfect as a plough machine but not for air time or tight tech, R2 still best choice do you think?

I was between sizes on the older Session, went with the larger of the two. Made it work but it was way too long. I'm on the new Session now and am rocking the R2. I'm 6'1.5". If you were just focused on plowing rough stuff and going stupid fast I would say R2. The longer reach and wheelbase will help you be a little more stable. But if you're after a do it all type bike I would go R1. On a DH bike there really isn't much you can do to change the length of the bike afterwards other than stem length. If you were 5'11" I would think that you would be too cramped on the R1, but 5'9" would be right at that spot of the bars being close to you to put the bike where you want it but not being cramped.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007281
Mobile Version of Website