Trek Session 9.9 vs Santa Cruz V10 Carbon vs Spesh Demo 8 II

PB Forum :: Downhill
Trek Session 9.9 vs Santa Cruz V10 Carbon vs Spesh Demo 8 II
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 8:44 Quote
Just out of pure interest, which one of these bikes would be the best bet for UK and possibly European DH runs. I am not the kind of person to try and get both wheels airborne at every opportunity, but on the other hand am not the kind of person to take the bull in a china shop approach and not spot the best lines, keeping wheels to the ground at all times. I am mainly interested as I will be coming into quite a considerable amount of money next year, and as such may look into getting one of these pre owned, but am already starting to look into the situation. Please no comments saying just try all of them out and see what you think as I know this would be the ideal, but is easier said than done for me at the minute as at the age of 16 cannot drive.

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 10:00 Quote
good luck getting a 9.9 used. at least 95% of the people on this site have never even seen one. Do you have any experience with dh bikes? Do you know what you like in a bike? You might hear things like one bike is more progressive, or favors a certain riding style, but this doesn't help if you don't know what it means. I don't want to be hostile here, but people usually don't buy WC level bikes when they just start out.

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 16:17 Quote
True, but then in the long run it works out more expensive to buy something neither here nor there, which is then going to ppossibly get sold on for a lot less than it was bought for in order to buy a racer if i get into it. Wouldn't say that I'm a technical MTB genius but on the most part I know what kind of bike style/ riding style would suit me as I already have attempted some of the less challenging runs over at stile cop on my trail bike. See your point about the session 9.9, didnt think that through, maybe I should have gone more gor the session 88 route

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 17:36 Quote
I've experienced a session 88 and a demo 8. Personally I like the demo more. It has a low COG and it's pretty light. Stock build is 37 lbs which is not anywhere near session 9.9 territory but I'd go for the demo because it is EASY to ride. It's not the kind of bike that makes you feel fast, it makes you go crazy fast and not know it. It's not a smash and dash bike by any means, but it will do exactly what you ask of it. It's the kind of bike that will eat up big rocks if you point it that way or it will pop over jumps if that's the line you want. It's handling is neutral, you don't have to hang your butt off the back or weight up the nose, you just stay low and push. Now admittedly the session has less brake jack but the Demo 8s isnt noticeable except on CRAZY steep rock faces. Also the demo has a crazy short head tube. It is shorter than my dirt jump bikes actually, and could be an issue if rolling low isn't your forte (it is mine though). Also the low BB may scare you but I didn't have any issues and I rode one at Mammoth Bike park on a some really boulder filled runs and I never clipped. I have never rode a v10 down hill, but I have sat in one in the store though, and it isn't much lighter than a demo if at all after a build. I personall dont like the massively high seat which can not drop as low as the demos but i like to have my seats DROPPED, so it may not he an issue. A gently used Demo 8 2 can be found for $3500 easily and it is worth it. All the components are A++++. The XO Code brakes are AMAZING, cranks are crazy stiff, bars are great (a little small for me at 750mm but bigger bars aren't a big deal), pedals are grippy and thin but there are better choices, stock butcher tires brake better than minions and have a higher grip threshold but are harder to predict, the progressive nature of the suspensiom makes it feel bottomless and now they are using a CCDB and that is AMAZING and I love boxxers, and I was told by the people who I demoed the Demo from that the DT Swiss wheels are great and that the wheels they use on the Norcos they demo need to be tweaked after every use, and the frame is super stiff. I'm not biased to the demo though because I don't even own a dh bike and I've tried both the session and the demo. I ride dh on my DJ bike

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 20:39 Quote
damn u had all that relavent info and then i read..."i dont own a dh bike, i ride dh on my dj" lol

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 20:50 Quote
nomadforsalecheck-buysell wrote:
damn u had all that relavent info and then i read..."i dont own a dh bike, i ride dh on my dj" lol
Yup! Thug Life! But I've had a total of 20 days on a demo 8, from renting over the past two years.

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 21:26 Quote
I have ridden the Demo, 9.9 carbon and my 2012 TR450...never a carbon V10, but with that said I would buy the 9.9 carbon. IF! and when I sell my brand new TR450 I will buy the 9.9. I have nothing bad to say about the 450, in fact it's an incredible bike! When I rode the 9.9 I instantly fell in love. Check out my video of the 9.9 in action...( I know the TR is not in your comparison, but thought I would through it in there since it is a top contender.) Good luck with your decision, it will be a tough one...all these bikes are top of the line!

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 4:17 Quote
Don't buy a used carbon bike unless your buying off a friend you know and rode with. You don't know the history of the frame. If you like the 9.9 go with the 88. The Demo 8 are good bikes.

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 8:52 Quote
Scythe888 wrote:
Don't buy a used carbon bike unless your buying off a friend you know and rode with. You don't know the history of the frame. If you like the 9.9 go with the 88. The Demo 8 are good bikes.
Ya the session 9.9 is crazy expensive too. Nearly 9 grand for a bike! But if you chose session 88, demo 8 2, or V10 carbon you won't be disappointed. Spesh is coming out with a carbon demo later this year if you want to wait, but weight isnt really that big of a deal. You'd be happy with a TR450 and a Devinci Wilson or most other dh bikes. My local mechanic always tells me when I'm drooling over a bike that most DH bikes are great now, and none will disappoint and he races every weekend next to Gwin at Fontana.

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 14:18 Quote
grave dig!!!!!
whoop!

Ok, so the operatunity has arised for me to buy either a a trek session carbon or a demo

both 2012 bikes, and both secondhand but not been used! not much in it for price either!
so what to go for,
i currently ride a 2010 sx trail and love the feel, so would be easy to change to the demo
never rode a trek but only here great stuff.
i am a light 5.7 guy

riding is style is very much of the back, like to whip and jump and have fun in the air!

any help?

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 15:59 Quote
Got the chance to take a look at the 9.9 out at Winter Park opening weekend....Two Words....Sex Appeal. That thing is purdy, however, SC V10 carbon all the way. Nothing against Trek, but that V10 is out-of-bounds fun. Plus who wouldn't want an extra 2".......of travel...mind out of the gutter, LOL.

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 at 1:37 Quote
What I am after is some honest real ride input of how the trek rides!
As i say I know how the demo rides, but not sure about the trek!

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 at 1:46 Quote
Try to find a session to test ride, even the aluminum version, doesn't really matter. It will give a feel for what the bike will feel like.

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 at 7:22 Quote
You can try all the bikes you what at trestle but your not in the us so that don't help I have a custom demo8 I got used got 2 day on it Ill be on day 3 in a couple of hours and I love it my friend rides a v10 and he loves it so unless you buy a outdated or beatup bike you sould be happy with what you get as long as it fits right . And the v10 can run 8.5 or 10 inches of travel but you have to change the spring. Trestle sells their dh bike in the fall some good deals but it is a bike park demo so it was rode by badasses and nonbadasses alike

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 at 16:02 Quote
no shops have the trek in stock to try. however needs to be sort buy tomorrow as the deals wont last forever!

both bikes in mediums, i am 5,7 or 5,8 so should be perfect fit!
as i think at this level will be happy with either!

just really want to know is the session a pure speed machine or can i have some fun on it too!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013516
Mobile Version of Website