close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 19:49 Quote
yeah i wasnt sure which one... it was a question. ahahah

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 20:11 Quote
Shimano XTR Yumeya or nothing.

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 20:11 Quote
lol serious question, what are the advantages to a longer stem vrs. a shorter one? For example 40 mm vrs. 60 mm... Thanks in advance!

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 20:14 Quote
wctpro wrote:
lol serious question, what are the advantages to a longer stem vrs. a shorter one? For example 40 mm vrs. 60 mm... Thanks in advance!
I would say a longer reach? Maybe even better leverage on uphill climbs. If you have a bike with a shorter top tube then you can add a longer reach stem to get it where you want minimally affecting your geometry.

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 20:17 Quote
crazyarmybeaver wrote:
wctpro wrote:
I would say a longer reach? Maybe even better leverage on uphill climbs. If you have a bike with a shorter top tube then you can add a longer reach stem to get it where you want minimally affecting your geometry.

Hm thanks a bunch!! So what would the advantages to a shorter stem be? For DH/FR, thanks!

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 20:32 Quote
wctpro wrote:
crazyarmybeaver wrote:
wctpro wrote:

Hm thanks a bunch!! So what would the advantages to a shorter stem be? For DH/FR, thanks!
I believe it would be more precise control when turning. Kind of the same thing between wider and narrower bars.

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 20:47 Quote
crazyarmybeaver wrote:
wctpro wrote:
crazyarmybeaver wrote:

I believe it would be more precise control when turning. Kind of the same thing between wider and narrower bars.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for the help! I'm buying Boo Bars and a new stem and wasn't sure which length to get, prolly gonna get 55mm. Thanks again!

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 21:19 Quote
short stem, wide and low bars, its the perfect combination to be comfortable to shred... imo.

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 21:20 Quote
wctpro wrote:
crazyarmybeaver wrote:
wctpro wrote:

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for the help! I'm buying Boo Bars and a new stem and wasn't sure which length to get, prolly gonna get 55mm. Thanks again!
Longer stems create a longer effective top tube so make the bike longer and more stable where as shorter stems shorten the reach making the bike 'smaller' and easier to throw around off jumps and into berms

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 21:20 Quote
Taane wrote:
short stem, wide and low bars, its the perfect combination to be comfortable to shred... imo.
Yes. I have a straitline ultra DM stem and spank spike 777 bars. Love the combo. Feels so stable and precise.

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 21:36 Quote
Thanks for the tips everyone, yeah I think a 55mm stem plus 740mm bars will be pretty rad, you guys got any thoughts on this combo?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006777
Mobile Version of Website