Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 14:50 Quote
Straner wrote:
Alright guys, does anyone know if a chain guide meant for a 2x front ring set up will work the same with a 1x set up?

Reason I ask is, I have a DH V4.2 frame, and want just the bash guard and lower part of the guide, without the top piece there. I know I can use a regular bash and just take the top off, but I really like the clean look the ones meant for a 2x set up give me because the back plate doesn't extend up above the chain ring.
Yes, you can. If you have an ISCG mount, start with one 1mm spacer behind each mounting bolt. If you have a BB mount, place one 1mm space behind the lower guide.
However, why lose the top guide? Unless you have an XT clutch rear der, chances of a dropped chain goes up.

Happy trails!!!

Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 16:32 Quote
jonus216 wrote:
Straner wrote:
Alright guys, does anyone know if a chain guide meant for a 2x front ring set up will work the same with a 1x set up?

Reason I ask is, I have a DH V4.2 frame, and want just the bash guard and lower part of the guide, without the top piece there. I know I can use a regular bash and just take the top off, but I really like the clean look the ones meant for a 2x set up give me because the back plate doesn't extend up above the chain ring.
Yes, you can. If you have an ISCG mount, start with one 1mm spacer behind each mounting bolt. If you have a BB mount, place one 1mm space behind the lower guide.
However, why lose the top guide? Unless you have an XT clutch rear der, chances of a dropped chain goes up.

Happy trails!!!
Thanks! The V4 is a little different where the chain comes up through the sprocket on the top pivot of the rear triangle, straight above the chain ring, essentially functioning as the top end of a chain guide. The guys on the UCI run this set up.

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 16:54 Quote
Straner wrote:
jonus216 wrote:
Straner wrote:

Happy trails!!!
Thanks! The V4 is a little different where the chain comes up through the sprocket on the top pivot of the rear triangle, straight above the chain ring, essentially functioning as the top end of a chain guide. The guys on the UCI run this set up.

My thoughts are with a clutch and a nw chain ring ditch the guide. I have dropped a chain with a guide its such a pain to put back on. We're talking dh, drop a chain finish your run, you will go faster without a chain. Bash guard maybe guide nah. Run a elcheapo eBay ring and no need for a bash guard. Ruin a $12 ring four times over before you reach the cost of a bash guard.

Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 17:07 Quote
And have to deal with walking back to the truck 4 times, and replacing the chainring 4 times? f*ck that.

Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 17:08 Quote
Gasket-Jeff wrote:
We're talking dh, drop a chain finish your run, you will go faster without a chain.

Okay, Aaron Gwin... Rolleyes

Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 18:07 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Gasket-Jeff wrote:
We're talking dh, drop a chain finish your run, you will go faster without a chain.

Okay, Aaron Gwin... Rolleyes
Chainless category at our local toonie races is always fastest.

Posted: Aug 20, 2017 at 18:33 Quote
Huh. Well, I retract my comment. Beer

Posted: Aug 21, 2017 at 21:00 Quote
Whats the condition of whistler after crankworx. I'm planning to try and make it up there in 2 weeks
and am wondering if it''s gonna be all blown out or will it actually be ridable?

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2017 at 22:13 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
Whats the condition of whistler after crankworx. I'm planning to try and make it up there in 2 weeks
and am wondering if it''s gonna be all blown out or will it actually be ridable?

It's rideable. They do maintenance after crankworx,, pretty sure tomorrow actually. Issue is that we haven't had any rain for a while so it's extremely dry and dusty. If it rains before you get here then it'll be fine.

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 9:29 Quote
Damaged the fibreglass shell of my Bluegrass Brave but no cracks have shown through in the foam part. Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
REPLACE IT.
Reformations to replace it with?

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 11:55 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
REPLACE IT.
whats ur budget

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 12:00 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
REPLACE IT.

Something with MIPS. You can often find good, expensive, last year helmets with MIPS for $100-300. New is at least $200, and as much as $500.

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 12:12 Quote
Why mips though? I sell mips helmets and wouldn't say they're nessesarily better

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023144
Mobile Version of Website