Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 15:50 Quote
hey there

I'm buying a new lower headset, i need a 1.5 integral, the so called "ZS56" but all headsets have this 40 at the end "ZS56/40" what does that 40 mean? i don't wanna buy the wrong part... thanks in advance.

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 16:15 Quote
MetalheadWolfRider wrote:
hey there

I'm buying a new lower headset, i need a 1.5 integral, the so called "ZS56" but all headsets have this 40 at the end "ZS56/40" what does that 40 mean? i don't wanna buy the wrong part... thanks in advance.
40mm is the size of the inner diameter.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 16:35 Quote
mollow wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:
I think he's asking why the price of a 'build kit' is so much cheaper than the bike, because the build kit is just the components that go onto the frame... bike = frame + build kit

Also it's almost always (unless you use old parts etc) 15-20% more expensive building your own bike from the frame

You just have to be patient and look for deals. I just bought mtx 33 wheels on eBay for $150. gambler 710 frame with a float x2 for $1400. code R brakes for $200, all brand new. Nukeproof bars on sale for $25 (reg price is $90) and an Easton havoc stem for $30 on chain reaction. With a fox 40, saint drivetrain, DMR pedals, and just a basic seat post and seat, my build totaled around $3400. Its comparable to most new $8k bikes.

Sure most 8k bikes come with MTX and freaking Guide R brakes lmao

You do realize most rims aren't that expensive right? They cost around $60 to $100 each. And most top spec DH bikes come with guide brakes. I have codes. I also have DT Swiss 350 hubs (even though I won't be using them so technically my build was cheaper)

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 17:41 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
hey there

you mean the inner diameter of where the fork is placed?

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 17:46 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
hey there

-If you need a lower cup for a 1.5" tapered steerer, where the inner diameter of the lower headset is 56mm, you need a zs56/40.
-If you need a lower cup for a 1 1/8" straight steerer, where the inner diameter of the lower headset is 56mm, you need a zs56/30.

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 17:48 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
Niko182 wrote:

-If you need a lower cup for a 1.5" tapered steerer, where the inner diameter of the lower headset is 56mm, you need a zs56/40.
-If you need a lower cup for a 1 1/8" straight steerer, where the inner diameter of the lower headset is 56mm, you need a zs56/30.

exactly what i was looking for. thanks bro.

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 8:41 Quote
If you guys need help with building up bikes, just shoot me a message with a parts list, your budget, and any other questions and I'll see if I can work some magic to make your build fit into your budget!

Beer

-Mike

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 9:53 Quote
i know this isnt exactly a DH question, but i feel lots of people here would know.

Lookin to get a DJ i found for a smokin deal, but am i bit thrown off by the weight. This thing is gonna be ridden mostly, skate park, street and pump track without too much actual jump lines. How big of a difference does weight make on these little bikes (pretty new to these). The only ones iv ridden have been between 24-27 lb and the one im looking at is 29. will it feel very sluggish and heavy?

650 USD
here is the spec:
Morpheus Vimana
Marzocchi DJ1 air preload
D521 front & rear rims with holly roller tires
Rear hub is Hope Bulb
Chester cranks - VP01 pedals
I beam seat & post
Single speed currently
Spank bars are new (as are most components with a few days of riding on them including grips)

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 10:10 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
i know this isnt exactly a DH question, but i feel lots of people here would know.

Lookin to get a DJ i found for a smokin deal, but am i bit thrown off by the weight. This thing is gonna be ridden mostly, skate park, street and pump track without too much actual jump lines. How big of a difference does weight make on these little bikes (pretty new to these). The only ones iv ridden have been between 24-27 lb and the one im looking at is 29. will it feel very sluggish and heavy?

650 USD
here is the spec:
Morpheus Vimana
Marzocchi DJ1 air preload
D521 front & rear rims with holly roller tires
Rear hub is Hope Bulb
Chester cranks - VP01 pedals
I beam seat & post
Single speed currently
Spank bars are new (as are most components with a few days of riding on them including grips)
The 2 main things i look at when i see that build is the bomber and the holy rollers. Both those are heavy af, especially the Dj1. I believe those are the heaviest forks available. You switch those out to a manitou circus or an old 34 or even 36 and switch the tires to some ikons or dth. 29 is a bit on the heavy side but it is managable. The slope bike i currently have comes in at 27. The previous single speed slope bike i had came in a 25. And my last DJ bikes came in around 24ish with alu cranks and bars instead of carbon. You do notice the difference, and like most younger people, once you start to have a DJ, yiu start to get into it. I think its the part of biking that is most open and sociable. I got into dj, because i wanted to learn to jump. I never had the expectation to get into .

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
Any way to get Maxxis tires for cheaper than their MSRP prices?

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 12:10 Quote
VDR wrote:
Buy/sell section usually has tires for sale. Look for the new in box ones. You can find them pretty cheap.

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 13:00 Quote
VDR wrote:
jenson has sales

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 15:56 Quote
VDR wrote:

Have you ever heard of eBay or Amazon? Just joking with you. Can be very reasonable on these sites if you search.

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 18:24 Quote
VDR wrote:

Maxxis is definitely a brand I can help people out with on price. I do free shipping over $100 so if you're getting a set I can hook it up.

Which rubber are you looking for?

-Mike

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 19:10 Quote
Mister-Lost-Bike-Shop wrote:
VDR wrote:

Which rubber are you looking for?

-Mike

I still have some life in my tires, and I'll use them until they rip apart, however in the future I'll be looking for Highrollers or DHRs

Also thanks for the answers everybody!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031752
Mobile Version of Website