PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Dec 4, 2017 at 12:10 Quote
what are the most reliable powerful dh brakes than can be run on an enduro bike

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 at 12:38 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
what are the most reliable powerful dh brakes than can be run on an enduro bike
Hope Tech 3 V4
Sram Code RSC's - I have them. they are insanely powerful.
Shimano Saints - They can be very inconsistent. I'd pass on these.
Magura MT7 - Questionable reliability. People Say they work great. I had bad luck with them. They were trash.

Trickstuff Direttissima - by far the most powerful on this list.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 9:24 Quote
I've got E4s, not the most power outright but my favourite brake overall. If you're just after power go for the new codes.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 11:59 Quote
ArchieDH wrote:
A few queries, in the market for a dh bike.
Have my eyes on a 2016 Gambler and 2016 TR500.
I want to race and do some big jumps, which would be best?
Both are large size, I'm 5ft10, having never sat on one I'm not sure if large is good? I'm a competent rider so a bigger frame may not be a bad thing.

Large Gambler for sure. TR500 is a short bike all around, my friend has a large and it feels small compared to my large Aurum Carbon (which is not a long bike by any means). I rode a large Gambler in low/slack/long chainstay setting in Whistler last summer and it was a tank, tracked well and went fast, very stable. It had a Float X2 and I had no issues bottoming (I weigh 210lbs).

Gambler is very adjustable as well so you can steepen/raise it up for jump days if you want.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 16:58 Quote
VDR wrote:
What's an extremely nimble, and flickable DH bike? (170mm-200mm)
Back to my own question for a sec.. Does anybody have experience with the Banshee Darkside? Ideally the 26" size for more of a tossable bike. I know Banshee made some bulletproof bikes in the past, I'd just like to know if the bike is any good.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 20:06 Quote
VDR wrote:
VDR wrote:
Back to my own question for a sec.. Does anybody have experience with the Banshee Darkside? Ideally the 26" size for more of a tossable bike. I know Banshee made some bulletproof bikes in the past, I'd just like to know if the bike is any good.

Go with the Gambler. You can change the geometry around to make it more nimble.

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 1:07 Quote
And they have lovely short chainstays

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 2:09 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Go with the Gambler. You can change the geometry around to make it more nimble.
True.

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 4:44 Quote
VDR wrote:
VDR wrote:

I rode a darkside back at 2016, by far the most fun bike i've tried. 180mm at the back made it so fun to jump and to throw around. Very good park bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 5:45 Quote
VDR wrote:
VDR wrote:

It's good but heavy. Geo is spot on, would still be by main ride if I didn't get a carbon session park. Compared to a carbon 26" session park the darkside is smoother on rock gardens but slightly less nimble.

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 23:18 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
VDR wrote:
VDR wrote:

It's good but heavy. Geo is spot on, would still be by main ride if I didn't get a carbon session park. Compared to a carbon 26" session park the darkside is smoother on rock gardens but slightly less nimble.

Can you still get the session park? I though they stopped making them...

I've been looking at the Darkside as well, and i think i'm going for it.

Low settings 26" gives you: chainstay 425, BB hight 343, HTA 63.5, and reach of 438. And it's only 3.4 kg for the frame (no shock). Haven't tried it and unfortunately won't be able to, but those numbers sure seems like a fun bike!

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 23:47 Quote
VDR wrote:
VDR wrote:

My 2015 gambler is setup with 26" wheels (I'm short af). It is very flickable and light with a float x2 shock. If I can throw this bike around, anyone can.

My only complaint is the ultra low BB. Even in the high setting its low. Its amazing in corners and stays planted but when things get rough, let's just say I'm glad I have a bash guard.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 23:50 Quote
gramboh wrote:
ArchieDH wrote:
A few queries, in the market for a dh bike.
Have my eyes on a 2016 Gambler and 2016 TR500.
I want to race and do some big jumps, which would be best?
Both are large size, I'm 5ft10, having never sat on one I'm not sure if large is good? I'm a competent rider so a bigger frame may not be a bad thing.

Large Gambler for sure. TR500 is a short bike all around, my friend has a large and it feels small compared to my large Aurum Carbon (which is not a long bike by any means). I rode a large Gambler in low/slack/long chainstay setting in Whistler last summer and it was a tank, tracked well and went fast, very stable. It had a Float X2 and I had no issues bottoming (I weigh 210lbs).

Gambler is very adjustable as well so you can steepen/raise it up for jump days if you want.

I love my gambler. Its the perfect all around park bike. I agree on the sizong, definitely a large. I'm 5'5" and ride a medium

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019468
Mobile Version of Website