Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 15:53 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
VDR wrote:
Anybody have stories about getting injured while riding solo?

About 10 years ago crashed face first dirt jumping. I woke up and my first thought was I had gotten drunk and blacked out. I used to drink a lot. My tooth was dangling out of my gum, broke my nose and cut my lip. I rode back to the visitor center and somehow talked to a real cute girl who happened to be a nurse and got her number and took her on a date the next weekend. I went to an emergency dentist and they shoved my tooth back in place. Lesson learned: wear a full face, get them digits and if your tooth is dangling save the $300 and shove it back in place yourself.

You still seeing the girl?

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 15:54 Quote
9M119M1 wrote:
A-2WD wrote:
9M119M1 wrote:
Which is gonna last me longer as a rear tire -
High Roller 2 or Minion DHR 2? both 60a. Loose over hard, rocky shaley and slightly muddy mixed terrain with some road.

From my experience on both those tires, I find that the HR last longer but the Minions definitely grip better. Based on the terrain you're describing above, I would get the HR if I were you. Road will eat up both those tires pretty quickly.

Yeah sound both HRII and DHRII are well regarded round my area so it's more of a bang for buck thing.
There's not a lot of steep heavy braking sections either, more flat out fast so I will go with HRII.

I love my minions but they do wear out fast.

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 21:40 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
9M119M1 wrote:
A-2WD wrote:

From my experience on both those tires, I find that the HR last longer but the Minions definitely grip better. Based on the terrain you're describing above, I would get the HR if I were you. Road will eat up both those tires pretty quickly.

Yeah sound both HRII and DHRII are well regarded round my area so it's more of a bang for buck thing.
There's not a lot of steep heavy braking sections either, more flat out fast so I will go with HRII.

I love my minions but they do wear out fast.

If you are riding shale with anything less than dd casing don't expect either to last very long.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 11:31 Quote
A question for the racers out there. When training for racing do you time yourself to work on increasing your pace and line choice? If so, what method do you think works best? I'm going to get a stopwatch as a cheap way to start timing my self but was wondering if there is a better or more effective option that people are using.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 11:53 Quote
spoo wrote:
A question for the racers out there. When training for racing do you time yourself to work on increasing your pace and line choice? If so, what method do you think works best? I'm going to get a stopwatch as a cheap way to start timing my self but was wondering if there is a better or more effective option that people are using.
Strava?

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 12:15 Quote
spoo wrote:
Strava works really good. just set the segment recorder and itll time each trail you ride. and it compares you to other people too. and when racing youre usually faster when youre just flowin, than you are when youre trying to go a fast as possible.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 12:16 Quote
Straner wrote:
spoo wrote:
Strava?
Strava is tough because you need a segment and it can be quite inaccurate. I would either use a gopro or stopwatch, or just feel the lines out and ride the one that flows best for you

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 15:41 Quote
I have a sizing question if you folks would entertain me.

Found an awesome deal on an XL Canfield Jedi. Looks like a 470mm reach and 635mm effective top tube.

Im 6 foot 1.5-1.75 inches with a fairly long torso. I have ridden an XL Nomad, Devinci Spartan and Trek Remedy

Anyone ever sat on one of these? I wouldn't be afraid of those geo numbers on a trail bike. Is there any reason I should be concerned on a DH bike? I haven't had t a DH bike in about 6 years so I am a little rusty.

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 15:16 Quote
Does anyone know if a Vivid Air would fit on a new Furious? Cheers

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 16:18 Quote
pdon wrote:
I have a sizing question if you folks would entertain me.

Found an awesome deal on an XL Canfield Jedi. Looks like a 470mm reach and 635mm effective top tube.

Im 6 foot 1.5-1.75 inches with a fairly long torso. I have ridden an XL Nomad, Devinci Spartan and Trek Remedy

Anyone ever sat on one of these? I wouldn't be afraid of those geo numbers on a trail bike. Is there any reason I should be concerned on a DH bike? I haven't had t a DH bike in about 6 years so I am a little rusty.

Sounds like it will be a good fit, just make sure the Jedi, and it’s specific suspension layout/design is right for you..or what you are really looking for in a DH bike

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 16:31 Quote
ArchieDH wrote:

Yeah, just get the right size (9.5 x 3.0).

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/05/04/commencal-furious-ready-now-dh-war-path/

look at this one too.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 14:20 Quote
ArchieDH wrote:

yeah they fit and if u already have one there are company's that can make em to size like Mojo or TF tunned

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 4:23 Quote
get a few buddys on your skill level and time each other, ive wiped seconds off splits cuz we get competitive. its gets you into that race mode when trying to beat your friends and you guys can point out each others mistakes.
spoo wrote:

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 7:13 Quote
i have an ohlins ttx 22m, and it's kind of the time for a yearly service, which with ohlins costs is a hard hit for my wallet. does anyone recommend any cheaper bike shops alternatives (where i could ship it to or something)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028043
Mobile Version of Website